Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 23:32   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I don't believe the MMSI is programmed into the EPIRB unit itself. That happens at the registration/SARSAT level. I think the beacon just puts out a unique code that is assignable to the vessel including name, MMSI, owner, contact person, etc. PLB's work on the same system and have no MMSI assigned.

If the boat was registered in the US, I expect the EPIRB was too. You might try the NOAA site to change.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/
I’m sure you are right. The VHF needs to be reprogrammed to transmit MMSI
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 23:45   #17

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcella View Post
Hi, did you have to give the epirb device to the Local agent for ACR (in Sydney)? was it possible to be done remotely?
I dropped the ACR EPIRBs into the agent and he did that for me; it cannot be done remotely as far as I know.
https://www.mossaustralia.com.au/product/global-fix-v4/
I was able to re-program the AIS (Nauticast) remotely, via computer and internet. I was able to reprogram HF and VHF radios myself (Icom). Note only US Icom gear can be programmed twice, once when new and once after that. Australian and European Icom gear can only be programmed once by the user (when new), thereafter it is more a job for an agent/dealer .... although I believe there is software and cables around so one can DIY.
Old 04-07-2020, 23:48   #18

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I don't believe the MMSI is programmed into the EPIRB unit itself. That happens at the registration/SARSAT level. I think the beacon just puts out a unique code that is assignable to the vessel including name, MMSI, owner, contact person, etc. PLB's work on the same system and have no MMSI assigned.

If the boat was registered in the US, I expect the EPIRB was too. You might try the NOAA site to change.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/
I believe that most of the above info is not correct.
European EPIRBs are pre-programmed with the MMSI, while a radio station of an USA based vessel gets its MMSI from USA FCC, but it is not programmed into the EPIRB.
And NOAA cannot change the EPIRB registration to an European one. The steps are as follows:
Obtain an European MMSI. Should be from the country of the boats flag (if UK gives worldwide MMSI than it may be OK).
Delete NOAA registration.
Reprogram the EPIRB (with help from manufacturers agent) to European mode and program it with the new MMSI.
Register EPIRB at COSPASS/SARSAT site.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 00:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack C View Post
The Beacon sends a id and also a country code. The country code helps the RCC to find your record. If you have a Beacon that has a country code that is different from the country where you registered it, then perhaps you will not be able to register it or it may be more difficult to find your information if the Beacon is transmitting. ...snip.
The country code is part of the MMSI number, in fact the first 3 digits denote the country it is registered in.
see this:
https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/terrest...Pages/mid.aspx
and also some info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariti...rvice_Identity
Old 05-07-2020, 00:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
The MMSI is not on the EPIRB, only the AIS and DCS work with MMSI.

The link between your MMSI number and the EPIRB is done on the database where your EPIRB is registered.

If you changed flag you need a new MMSI number, unregister the EPIRB from the US and register it with Poland.

The AIS is a different issue. there you will need to change the MMSI, BTW, some vhf radios will not allow you to change the MMSI number.
No, that will not work as the USA MMSI number be USA specific, and no other country will register that USA number. They will issue a new number, that you can use in all your equipment, or...... if you already a valid number in the country of registration, you can use that number in all your equipment, assuming that all your gear can be re-programmed.

Additional note: it not mandatory to have all the same MMSI number for your boat, you can have 2, 4 or even more numbers, as long as you register each of these separately with the national organisation of that country. Yes, all these numbers must have the same first 3 digits for that particular country. That way it saves a lot of hassle and cost reprogramming.

For Australia:
- EPIRBs are sold with a built-in MMSI, all starting with the country digits "503"
- Owner then to register with AMSA: cost is nil
- Re-programming (if needed): cost is worn by the owner
- Correctness of information needs to be updated each second year with AMSA: again cost is nil.

EPIRBs can be used worldwide, and when an emergency signal is received, I understand that the country code (first 3 digits) will show which database to be used to find owner/boat details.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:06   #21

Boat: Outbound 46

Quote:
We have recently changed our boat registration.
Before we were registered in Delaware, now our boat is registered in Poland and we have a Polish flag. For the new registration we also had to change (slightly) our boat name...
Now we have a UK Worldwide MMSI license (It works with any boat registration and it is valid for 10 years).
I believe now I have to change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB...
When you buy a new one the shop does the coding for you, but now can I do it by myself? My epirb is ACR GLOBALFIX V4 EPIRB and has only 2 years...
Thanks for you time and answers
I am also changing flags right now, actually the2nd time; that is: I had Delaware, then changed to Spain and right now am changing to Portuguese flag.
Once the Portuguese Marine Authorities gave me the new MMSI# and Call Sign, a registration office did that for me, you have to do 3 things related to MMSI and Call Sign:

1- Change your AIS to the new MMSI#, in my case a Garmin repair shop had to do it. It was sent to Spain from Portugal about 10 days ago and still not back. The local Garmin rep did that for me.

2- Change the Epirb MMSI# which was done by the local ACR rep in a couple of days at no cost because I had the battery changed too.

3- Change the VHF MMSI# which was done by the local Raymarine rep who charged me 53 €.

I dont know how the Polish are going to handle the British MMSI# you got but you will find that out soon.
Good luck!
Wernito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:50   #22

Boat: catana 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I believe that most of the above info is not correct.
European EPIRBs are pre-programmed with the MMSI, while a radio station of an USA based vessel gets its MMSI from USA FCC, but it is not programmed into the EPIRB.
And NOAA cannot change the EPIRB registration to an European one. The steps are as follows:
Obtain an European MMSI. Should be from the country of the boats flag (if UK gives worldwide MMSI than it may be OK).
Delete NOAA registration.
Reprogram the EPIRB (with help from manufacturers agent) to European mode and program it with the new MMSI.
Register EPIRB at COSPASS/SARSAT site.
I think you are right and that is what I'm going to do. Thank you.
mmarcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:59   #23

Boat: catana 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernito View Post
I am also changing flags right now, actually the2nd time; that is: I had Delaware, then changed to Spain and right now am changing to Portuguese flag.
Once the Portuguese Marine Authorities gave me the new MMSI# and Call Sign, a registration office did that for me, you have to do 3 things related to MMSI and Call Sign:

1- Change your AIS to the new MMSI#, in my case a Garmin repair shop had to do it. It was sent to Spain from Portugal about 10 days ago and still not back. The local Garmin rep did that for me.

2- Change the Epirb MMSI# which was done by the local ACR rep in a couple of days at no cost because I had the battery changed too.

3- Change the VHF MMSI# which was done by the local Raymarine rep who charged me 53 €.

I dont know how the Polish are going to handle the British MMSI# you got but you will find that out soon.
Good luck!
Yes, We are trying to change the VHF by ourself, we are doing remotely with Vespermarin the change of AIS and we are trying to find a ACR dealer that can change the epirb for us... a lot to do....
mmarcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 15:55   #24

Boat: Ocean Alexander Mk1 extended 55'

My boat is named Dream Weaver and there is another boat in Dana Point by the same name. That boat has pirated my MMSI either by accident or on purpose. Contacted the FCC and they couldn’t do anything. Contacted the CG and they had no ideas. Tried to reach out to the Port of Dana Point to enlist their help both by phone and a letter. No love there.
So I guess If the other boat gets into trouble they will be looking for me to help.
Guessing that who ever programmed in the MMSI to their equipment was to lazy to get their own number and now doesn’t want to spend the time and $ to make it right.
dw1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:14   #25

"now our boat is registered in Poland and we have a Polish flag. For the new registration we also had to change (slightly) our boat name...
Now we have a UK Worldwide MMSI license (It works with any boat registration and it is valid for 10 years)"

You should be aware that using a UK mmsi license for a Polish flagged boat is not permitted by the OfCom of the UK and also not permitted by the Polish Urząd Komunikacji Elektronicznej.

The UK OfCom says: We (OfCom) may issue licences and assign call signs and MMSIs only to ships flagged in the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. If we discover that we have issued a licence for a ship flagged in another country, we may revoke the UK ship radio licence.

There is more information here.
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:33   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Just to be clear European Epirbs are programmed with their ships mmsi. They may also be programmed with the ships call sign depending on the message format chosen
Old 11-01-2021, 11:43   #27
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Hold on there is no such thing as a worldwide mmsi in the manner you assume

Quote:
2.3 The licence applies to the ship nomatter where in the world it might be. Marine surveyors in other countries may demand to see the ship’s radio licence, to ensure that all radio equipment fitted is properly licensed, as required by international agreements.
That only applies to UK flagged ships

You will need to apply to the appropriate polish authorities , get a ships radio license , which will issue a new mmsi and call sign ( you may need a
Polish radio competency cert )

Then you can have that mmsi programmed in

Again
Quote:
5.8 We may issue licences and assign call signs and MMSIs only to ships flagged in the UK, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. If we discover that we have issued a licence for a ship flagged in another country, we may revoke the UK Ship Radio Licence.
You will not be able to get a dealer to programme in that old mmsi as they will request your ships license to prove you have that permission to use that mmsi.
Old 14-03-2022, 13:24   #28
rmy

Boat: Moody DS45

It’s not the MMSI that gets reprogrammed. It made the EPIRB Hex ID.
rmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 07:18   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Did you manage to do that? I'm in the exact same situation...
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 11:05   #30
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmy View Post
It’s not the MMSI that gets reprogrammed. It made the EPIRB Hex ID.

Not so. Most maritime agencies require the call sign or MMSI programmed in. A few notably the USA and more recently the U.K. EPIRB registration agencies will resister based on the hex ID

Tags
epirb