Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 07:07   #1

Boat: catana 582
Change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB

We have recently changed our boat registration.
Before we were registered in Delaware, now our boat is registered in Poland and we have a Polish flag. For the new registration we also had to change (slightly) our boat name...
Now we have a UK Worldwide MMSI license (It works with any boat registration and it is valid for 10 years).
I believe now I have to change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB...
When you buy a new one the shop does the coding for you, but now can I do it by myself? My epirb is ACR GLOBALFIX V4 EPIRB and has only 2 years...
Thanks for you time and answers
mmarcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB

ARC units apparedntly can be reprogrammed for a different country by their dealers. That rather suggests that they don't let you into the software to do it yourself. Can you get to a dealer and ask them to treat it as a new unit to be programmed?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:32   #3

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I don't believe the MMSI is programmed into the EPIRB unit itself. That happens at the registration/SARSAT level. I think the beacon just puts out a unique code that is assignable to the vessel including name, MMSI, owner, contact person, etc. PLB's work on the same system and have no MMSI assigned.

If the boat was registered in the US, I expect the EPIRB was too. You might try the NOAA site to change.

https://beaconregistration.noaa.gov/RGDB/
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I don't believe the MMSI is programmed into the EPIRB unit itself. That happens at the registration/SARSAT level. I think the beacon just puts out a unique code that is assignable to the vessel including name, MMSI, owner, contact person, etc. PLB's work on the same system and have no MMSI assigned.

If the boat was registered in the US, I expect the EPIRB was too. You might try the NOAA site to change.

Yes it was registered with NOAA. Do you think I need to renew the registration with NOAA even if the boat is now registered in Europe?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:44   #5

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have the same GPS unit. When I purchased the boat, I had to change from US MSSI to AUS MMSI (the first 3 digits are country specific). Local agent for ACR (in Sydney) did that change for me. I believe it is not something that one can do DIY.
I wanted the MMSI number the same as in my radios, AIS, and in all my Epirbs.
Although there may be other type of EPIRB units of which the MMSI can not be changed.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I have the same GPS unit. When I purchased the boat, I had to change from US MSSI to AUS MMSI (the first 3 digits are country specific). Local agent for ACR (in Sydney) did that change for me. I believe it is not something that one can do DIY.
I wanted the MMSI number the same as in my radios, AIS, and in all my Epirbs.
Although there may be other type of EPIRB units of which the MMSI can not be changed.
Hi, did you have to give the epirb device to the Local agent for ACR (in Sydney)? was it possible to be done remotely?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:34   #7

The MMSI is not on the EPIRB, only the AIS and DCS work with MMSI.

The link between your MMSI number and the EPIRB is done on the database where your EPIRB is registered.

If you changed flag you need a new MMSI number, unregister the EPIRB from the US and register it with Poland.

The AIS is a different issue. there you will need to change the MMSI, BTW, some vhf radios will not allow you to change the MMSI number.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:39   #8

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post

US registered (with NOAA) EPIRBs are not programmed with the boat MMSI.
European EPIRBs (registered with COSPAS/SARSAT site) are programmed with vessel's MMSI.

In order to reprogram your EPIRB your only choice is to find a dealer of your particular unit manufacturer. He should have the access to manufacturers program to change unit character fro USA to Europe.
Good luck.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47   #9

Not quite the same but I bought a second hand UK EPIRB and got it re-programmed as an Irish one. There was a small fee from our local dealer (possibly €30, I'm not quite sure) and they texted me to say it was done in a couple of hours. They changed a bunch of details including contacts, country code and MMSI number.
AedanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:50   #10

Hi, did you have to give the epirb device to the Local dealer? or was it possible to be done remotely?
Old 04-07-2020, 08:54   #11

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcella View Post
I believe now I have to change the MMSI coded into the EPIRB...
When you buy a new one the shop does the coding for you, but now can I do it by myself? My epirb is ACR GLOBALFIX V4 EPIRB and has only 2 years...
Thanks for you time and answers

I have the same epirb - came with the boat. I use beaconregistration.noaa.gov website to register my epirb with HEX id/UIN. Then I get a letter from noaa with new stickers making my epirb id valid and up todate with the vessel information and contact information. I recall mmsi is not compulsory for registration as I added the information later.

I have added 2 more acr PLB the same way this year.

For GME PLB, I register with www.beacons.amsa.gov.au

Try to get HEX CHECKSUM numbers which is usually printed on the registration papers and not on the unit itself. This will confirm the epirb id is correct.

There was no need for me to work with anyone else and no fees involved.

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoh88 View Post
I have the same epirb - came with the boat. I use beaconregistration.noaa.gov website to register my new mmsi number. Then I get a letter from noaa with new stickers making my epirb id valid and up todate with the vessel information and contact information. I recall mmsi is not compulsory for registration as I added the information later.

I have added 2 more acr PLB the same way this year.

For GME PLB, I register with www.beacons.amsa.gov.au

Try to get chksum numbers which is usually printed on the registration papers and not on the unit itself. This will confirm the epirb id is correct.

There was no need for me to work with anyone else and no fees involved.

Eric
Thank you Eric, but my doubt is if I can remain with NOAA even if I have European Flag and MMSI, plus I'm sailing in Europe as well...
Old 04-07-2020, 09:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarcella View Post
Hi, did you have to give the epirb device to the Local dealer? or was it possible to be done remotely?

I had to give it to him for a couple of hours.
AedanC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:48   #14

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

The Beacon sends a id and also a country code. The country code helps the RCC to find your record. If you have a Beacon that has a country code that is different from the country where you registered it, then perhaps you will not be able to register it or it may be more difficult to find your information if the Beacon is transmitting.

I would contact the UK registry and ask if they register Beacons configured for other countries and what would the ramifications be if you had an emergency and the Beacon country is not UK.
So the vessel flag is not the issue. For instance I have 4 yachts, 2 in the Med and 2 in the US. I only use one at a time and have a FCC multi-ship license and the Beacon has a US country code. One of the Med boats is US documented, the other is not. When I move between boats I update my information in the US database for 2 EPIRBs and 2 PLBs independent of boat flag. All my radios including hand held all have the same MMSI. It also means that friends can identify me via DSC independent of boat.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:58   #15

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We gave up trying to get the EPIRB and PLB changed to us as new owners of a old boat. No agency was willing to make the change. Easier and probably wiser to get everything new as technology changes. PLB’s should probably be registered for the individuals using it rather than the boat itself. In theory you could use them when you climb MT Everest and need a ride down.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb