Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 10:04   #1

Boat: Wellcraft, St. Tropez 3200, 32 ft
Panama City Last Minute Meetup?

Hi all,

Just arrived in Panama City (by air) and totally should have posted this further in advance, but... Before we return to the frozen tundra my fiancée and I are looking to spend some time on the water and are wondering if anyone could use a couple sets of experienced hands specifically Monday January 6th (could also possibly do early morning Tuesday Jan 7th as well) before we fly out...?

In the absence of meeting up with fellow forum members, we're also looking into booking a partial canal passage if anyone has any suggestions... Otherwise we're at the mercy of the hotel concierge...

Fair winds and following seas! (and wow is the wind blowing right now!)
Aquasition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:20   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama City Last Minute Meetup?

Go to Balboa Yacht Club, post as line handlers on the board, hang out and chat up some boat owners there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:45   #3

Thank you for the suggestion! Will check it out. We're fellow YC members in the Boston area.
(And to clarify, since someone asked, Panama City, Panama! (Not Florida.))
Old 05-01-2020, 14:10   #4

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres

Difficult on a yacht as most take 2 days to transit and opportunities to get off the boat are limited. Also if you leave the boat during the transit, the boat still has to have 4 line handlers. On our recent transit, we left the dock in Shelter bay around noon on the first day and completed our crossing aroung 1600 on the second day. It is possible to take a tour boat about a half day one way.
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:14   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Even if you dont find a ride, Panama City is an enjoyable city to visit. Suggestions: Mira Flores Locks Visitor Center (a large well done exhibit with working locks just outside), Casco Viejo (restored old section of Panama...now a popular night life venue), Panama Antigua (interesting ruins of a much older section of Panama City), El Cangrejo District is a nice area to stay in, Cinta Costera is a nicely done green belt along the water front...you can walk all the way to Casco Viejo, and Rana Dorada now has several brew pub locations around the city to choose from! [emoji482]

Ive been line handler for several friends transiting. Canal transit pics at the link below. It is very cool to the see the 100 year old locks working from the inside. Since the expansion of the canal you now share the channels (but not the new locks) with massive Nuevo PanaMax class vessels.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5tn8ohvsk...QXeoODEaa?dl=0
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:25   #6

Thanks, we're heading to the Visitor Center today and did some of the other stuff yesterday including the Old City and the 3 islands created from the material dug out from the canal. Appreciate the photos, that's great perspective that we won't get to see this time around. Found out that "official" canal tours by water don't happen Monday thru Wednesday... :/ More advanced planning next time!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:33   #7

Had a great time at the Panama Canal Miraflores visitor center on January 6th, 2020. Saw a few large ships pass through as well as a 45' catamaran sailboat. Took tons of photos and videos of her passing through, and would love to get them to her crew/owners if anyone here knows who it was. No strings attached, just giving back to the community. Unfortunately I don't have the boat name as I mistook the brand badges for a possible name. Photo(s) to follow in case anyone recognizes her.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:16   #8

Attached images of the 45' cat transiting the Panama Canal at Miraflores. Anyone know how I can get the rest of my photos and videos to the captain and/or crew?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-06 14.58.55 (Medium).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	206655   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-06 14.14.46 (Medium).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	206656  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-06 14.40.11 (Medium).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	206657  
Old 10-01-2020, 10:07   #9

Boat: Outremer 50S

I was trying to identify the cat (can you read her name in a higher-res photo?) when I saw the ship behind her, the Cougar Ace. She is quite infamous up this way. Here she is on a not so good day - ballast water exchange gone wrong.

Just a little fun (well, not so fun for one salvor) history for your day at the Canal.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I was trying to identify the cat (can you read her name in a higher-res photo?)
I'm not sure of the name. There are 3 legible markings:
  • Near the bow of the port side pontoon it says "45 Freebird" and has a logo; I assumed Freebird was the brand of the cat, but maybe it is actually be the name? Some Googling turned up boat brands that included the name Freebird.;
  • The sail cover says "Leopard 45", which I think is the brand or model and length of the cat; I found brands or models of boats called Leopard.
  • Behind the port side "window" above the long black fender it says "Leopard", which again I think is the brand or model of the cat;
  • The photos I have of the stern do not show any visible markings. There's a dinghy or jet-ski and other equipment blocking everything.

[QUOTE=Dsanduril;3053108]
when I saw the ship behind her, the Cougar Ace. She is quite infamous up this way. Here she is on a not so good day - ballast water exchange gone wrong. [QUOTE]

Wow - that's amazing! Not a good day, indeed!
Old 10-01-2020, 13:36   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

Yeah, that's a Leopard 45 model/brand of catamaran. That was clear in the photo.

The name, Freebird, makes sense given the logo on the front. Unfortunately it is pretty common. Maybe someone here will recognize it or be better than me at searching for it. Good luck.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 19:12   #12

Hello, nice pic from that perspective. I am one of the 5 people on board freebird during our canal crossing. It was excellent. We saw the crowd in the 3 story building looking down at us.

I am sitting with the owner and they did get the Instagram message which prompted me to log in and search for freebird. The responded back and I'm sure I'll get some of the pics.

Here's a link from our perspective.

Watch "Panama Canal Crossing" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/8mkeqXve-f4
stevenm2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm2016 View Post
Hello, nice pic from that perspective. I am one of the 5 people on board freebird during our canal crossing. It was excellent. We saw the crowd in the 3 story building looking down at us.

I am sitting with the owner and they did get the Instagram message which prompted me to log in and search for freebird. The responded back and I'm sure I'll get some of the pics.

Here's a link from our perspective.

Watch "Panama Canal Crossing" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/8mkeqXve-f4
Awesome -- so glad I was able to share these with you and the rest aboard the Freebird. Sometime this weekend I will put together a Dropbox link where you can download all of the photos and videos my finacee and I took from the observation deck. Please let the owner know.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:04   #14

You can pm me at steven_langley at yahoo
stevenm2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 09:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm2016 View Post
You can pm me at steven_langley at yahoo
Done, via email!
(Also messaged the ship's Instagram account with details.)

Tags
Panama