Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 17:10   #1

Searunner centerboard is stuck

Hey everyone! New to the forum, to trimarans and to sailing altogether. That being said, I recently bought a 1972 31ft Searunner & managed to sail it from Ft. Lauderdale to Marathon in the Florida Keys (home). I did have a mishap or two but overall a nice trip. At some point, my centerboard got stuck in a midswing position. We did run aground in some grass and mud & did pop up the board once when we tapped some rocks. Before you yell at me, The Keys are littered with very shallow areas and they all moved around after Hurricane Irma. I don't think my charts or my Navionics are very accurate anymore, otherwise I wouldn't have bottomed out in 4.5 ft of water. We don't even have all our channel markers back up yet.
ANYWAYS....here's my question...I noticed something jammed between the trunk and centerboard. It actually looks like my copilot's multitool. It's wedged in really tough. The starboard side of the board is completely pressed against the trunk. I've tried winching the board up with the halyard but no luck. I've tried tapping the blockage out but no luck. There is an access port to get to (what I assume is) the pivot but it is ridiculously close to the waterline. I need to pull the board to clear the whatever and repair any damage to the glass/epoxy. How do I do this without getting my bilge filled? I can't seem to find any How-to videos. I downloaded the construction manual but it isn't very helpful. Thanks!
Hucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 17:17   #2

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran
Re: Searunner centerboard is stuck

I would attempt to bring it back in the direction from which it came. Drop a line to one side of the tool and grab it with a dock hook and pull up to center board and run both ends around your winch, on the mast and slowly crank it back up. Good luck!

Tags
centerboard, Searunner