Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 04:57   #1

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Welland Canal oops

https://globalnews.ca/video/7167208/2-ships-collide-head-on-in-welland-ont

Sometimes the pro's get it all wrong.
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:15   #2

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Welland Canal oops

From a laker captain friend..
'Having been in this area many times I don't understand what happened to Florence Spirit as she seemed to veer to the wrong side of the canal. It is normal to keep to the right and allow a one whistle pass. The canal is wide at this section so should have been no problem. Unless she had a steering problem which would account for the sudden alteration in course. In the narrow section, you both keep to the centre and then alter to starboard when a couple of boat lengths away and the interaction keeps both boats apart.'
Old 12-07-2020, 06:30   #3

My thoughts too. Doesn't seem like a steering gear breakdown, but more of a "the other starboard" type human error.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:08   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Long time ago I went with my ship-pilot father-in-law on an in-bound ship at Aransas Pass Texas. The channel is narrow. The out-bound ship coming at us and our ship when dead center headed for each other. At what seemed the last second to me, both ships veered to starboard, and used the cushion of water they pushed between them to keep them from colliding. Suddenly the quiet life of a college professor was much more appealing.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I have an old copy of a little book called "Ship Handling in Narrow Channels". One part of the book went into some detail about how a ship traveling close in to the bank would feel a suction on the hull, particularly at the aft end. The book then described how the stern of the boat being pulled into the bank would override the rudder, resulting in the ship sheering out of control across the channel. Seems like at least a possibility in this case.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:53   #6

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

In this video, the Red ship is 100% at fault, it should have veered to starboard to pass. I suspect the captain was not watching ahead. The black ship had no room to maneuver to starboard, although they could have reversed engines and let out 5 loud blasts, but I suspect the collision would have occurred anyways at this proximity.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
In this video, the Red ship is 100% at fault, it should have veered to starboard to pass. I suspect the captain was not watching ahead. The black ship had no room to maneuver to starboard, although they could have reversed engines and let out 5 loud blasts, but I suspect the collision would have occurred anyways at this proximity.
Are you watching the same video as the rest of us? The black ship altered to port across the bow of the red ship.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:56   #8

Quote:

Captain? Doesn't the Welland Canal have a pilot requirement? I understand the captain is ultimately responsible but wouldn't some of the blame be shared by the pilot?
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:58   #9

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Are you watching the same video as the rest of us? The black ship altered to port across the bow of the red ship.
Yes, because it was obvious the red ship was not going to move to starboard, and he didn't have room to stop, and I would suspect the water depth on his starboard side was too low to go that direction. A last moment attempt to save it, which was folly.

Red ship is to blame here IMO.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:44   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I don't believe for a second that the black ship intentionally altered course across the channel like that. They obviously had some kind of control problem.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:38   #11

Quote:
Yes, because it was obvious the red ship was not going to move to starboard, and he didn't have room to stop, and I would suspect the water depth on his starboard side was too low to go that direction. A last moment attempt to save it, which was folly.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture32336.html

You're having a go. There's maybe a ship's width to starboard of the red ship - the canal isn't super-wide, maybe 130 yards, but that still leaves more than four times the safe water for Florence to pass on the correct side. You might review rule 14.
Old 13-07-2020, 15:33   #12

Another clip of the video - it captures more of the crash and clearly shows how close to the side of the canal they are - not aimed at anyone in particular : https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/two-ships-collide-in-ontarios-welland-canal
Old 13-07-2020, 17:03   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I would suspect the water depth on his starboard side was too low to go that direction.
Your suspicions are incorrect. The channel is very deep to within a few feet of the shore. There is lots of room in that section.
(more than 100 Welland transits)
Old 14-07-2020, 04:35   #14

You know, I've been attending all of the IJC Webinars re Great Lakes water level heights and the volume outputs and flows, etc. (in fact, there's another one this Friday).

I wonder if the velocity of the water under the hull was somehow a factor since, as boatpoker says, there's deep water all the way through that channel. If you add the perspective that the black boat was travelling downstream (with the flow) and red boat upstream (against the velocity)(or perhaps the opposite, I'm assuming the direction of the two boats).

In the Webinars, they often mention that one of their major considerations is that high outflow rates precipitously increase the underwater velocity which dangerously affects the commercial shipping traffic's ability to manouvre at narrow channel points.

I wonder...
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 05:34   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
You know, I've been attending all of the IJC Webinars re Great Lakes water level heights and the volume outputs and flows, etc. (in fact, there's another one this Friday).

I wonder if the velocity of the water under the hull was somehow a factor since, as boatpoker says, there's deep water all the way through that channel. If you add the perspective that the black boat was travelling downstream (with the flow) and red boat upstream (against the velocity)(or perhaps the opposite, I'm assuming the direction of the two boats).

In the Webinars, they often mention that one of their major considerations is that high outflow rates precipitously increase the underwater velocity which dangerously affects the commercial shipping traffic's ability to manouvre at narrow channel points.

I wonder...
LittleWing77
If this were in the St. Lawrence, that would make sense. But in the Welland Canal, probably not. Most of the flow from Lake Erie to Ontario goes through the Niagara River, not the Welland.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal