Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 09:33   #16

Boat: lancer 36
Re: Catalina 30, 1977 is this sailboat worth the money?

in this world there exists two kinds of sailing craft; sail boats and sell boats. the catalina 30 is the latter. many were sold mainly because of it's fantastic interior. personally, i'm biased toward performance having raced since i was thirteen and thus have never much cared for the c30. i did race on one with a friend who owned one and wanted to improve his finish placing and even with modern sails we couldn't get her to sail to her phrf rating and even maneuvering to and from the slip was a real adventure at times. that's just me, of course, but whether cruising, racing or day sailing i sail to sail.

as for a c30 for five large? seeing as a good pre seventies or even eighties can be had for 20k i have three words. run, run, run.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 09:38   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
in this world there exists two kinds of sailing craft; sail boats and sell boats. the catalina 30 is the latter. many were sold mainly because of it's fantastic interior. personally, i'm biased toward performance having raced since i was thirteen and thus have never much cared for the c30. i did race on one with a friend who owned one and wanted to improve his finish placing and even with modern sails we couldn't get her to sail to her phrf rating and even maneuvering to and from the slip was a real adventure at times. that's just me, of course, but whether cruising, racing or day sailing i sail to sail.

as for a c30 for five large? seeing as a good pre seventies or even eighties can be had for 20k i have three words. run, run, run.
I guess it depends on if your budget is 10 large or 35 large.

When you get to that age a boat, a lot of what you're paying for is condition and how recently/well it's equipped.

For the money, a 1977 Catalina is a lot of boat.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 11:58   #18
cruiser

I am so thankful for all the information....thank you to all.

After reading all the great replies here, and other research that i have done, i think that a 30 footer is not the appropriate size that i would rather spend my money into.

A 35 footer i think in my green pea opinion, would be a better size for me from the beginning. I really do not know if this is realistic but i would like to get a sailboat that stays with me and that i want to keep for good, since it is my home and we are going to build memories together.

Maybe a 35 Catalina? Haven't checked on those yet....

Thanks to all and peace to you, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEARS!
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:03   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

We'll have you in a 40' boat before this year is over

Seriously tho - if it's just you, around 30-32' ft is just fine.
Especially considering your budget & experience: don't buy too much boat.

You'll end up with more boat then you can handle, which is never a good thing.
I see that happen a lot all around me, and I'll never understand it to be honest.
Just buy a smaller boat - it ain't rocket science

Upgrading cos you want to hurts a lot less then downgrading cos you have to ...
Old 18-12-2015, 12:04   #20

Good boats for the $. Coastal. I wouldn't call it a bluewater boat though. You could do it though.... people do all kinds of things...
Buy a boat that is fit for what you want to do. The problem is if you buy a boat, you end up putting a lot of money into it.. making it your baby.. but if that boat isn't really one you have confidence in for your long term goal... then you end up changing and loosing a bunch of money.
In a heavy coastal chop a Cat 30 will pound, twist and shake badly.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:10   #21

Boat: Seaward 22

For what you are looking for, it is all about the condition of the boat. A c30 will work, but don't buy a POS. It will cost you more in the end.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 12:43   #22
cruiser

Thanks again for all of your time and shared knowledge!

My dilemma is that i want an old sailboat, that is solid, that can be a liveaboard, that can sail coastal waters, that can be a cruiser and that i can also , when competent sail bluewater and possible do some passage making.

I am totally new at sailboats, i have had and have a jetski and have been on power boats, but never a sailboat and i have never lived in a power boat or sailboat.

I have read and read and read and the more i read and researched the more you have to keep reading and researching because the information is inconclusive as to what boat is the best on paper.

So far i know that a 30 footer will not do for sure. Not for all i want to do. A 35 to 38 footer looks more like something that would work for me?

A 40 seems like too much boat even financially since i have read that footage means more money and a 35 is not so demanding of cash? Help me here if i am all out of shape.

So i guess that a 35 to 38 would be a good compromise? Help!

Thanks!
Old 18-12-2015, 12:51   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
We'll have you in a 40' boat before this year is over

Seriously tho - if it's just you, around 30-32' ft is just fine.
Especially considering your budget & experience: don't buy too much boat.

You'll end up with more boat then you can handle, which is never a good thing.
I see that happen a lot all around me, and I'll never understand it to be honest.
Just buy a smaller boat - it ain't rocket science

Upgrading cos you want to hurts a lot less then downgrading cos you have to ...
Ironic you say that! You think that a single handler can handle a 40 footer?

I looked at a Valiant 40, they were willing to sell it to me at a very low price and it was affordable to me. But when i started to price the materials and equipment it was very expensive compared to a 35 footer. It seemed that for the 40 footer everything went up by the power of 3 to 4.

If i can get a good 40 footer and i can handle it alone and it fits the bill and all the other stuff i am all for it. But realistically speaking? I think that 35 to 38 is enough for me? But you are talking to Mr. Knowzip...No se nada!

And i agree with you totally better to not have to downsize because you made a booboo and that's a fear also. I don't want to over buy, but neither do i want to under buy and either one is not a good thing in my situation and totally unwelcomed.

Thanks for the help! I am getting closer to where i belong! thanks!
Old 18-12-2015, 13:42   #24

Boat: 1970 C&C 30 Redwing

It's a good boat and there certainly are plenty of them in SW Michigan. I know of mid-70's Catalina 30 in South Haven that I am sure the owner would like to get rid of cheap (probably under $5K). My slip neighbor used to own it and used it regularly.

It's in pretty reasonable shape though the sails are getting old. Also has an Atomic 4. Though panned by many here, I have had one for years and find it reliable and easy to service.

If you are open any other boats, there are tons in the 28 to 35 foot range in SW Michigan. Go walk any boatyard now and you will find plenty for sale. I just picked up a fairly reasonable Westsail 32 for a song. The owner was old and really wanted out of it.

For that matter, I am putting my 30' 1970 C&C Redwing up for sale this spring once I finish refinishing the decks. It's currently in South Haven, MI
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 13:57   #25

Boat: ODAY 28

I owned one for 10 years, very good boat, easy to sail single handed, easy to work on, engine very accessible. roomy for a 30, would not say it is a bluewater boat, would also suggest go with a deisel
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 16:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Thanks again for all of your time and shared knowledge!

My dilemma is that i want an old sailboat, that is solid, that can be a liveaboard, that can sail coastal waters, that can be a cruiser and that i can also , when competent sail bluewater and possible do some passage making.

I am totally new at sailboats, i have had and have a jetski and have been on power boats, but never a sailboat and i have never lived in a power boat or sailboat.

I have read and read and read and the more i read and researched the more you have to keep reading and researching because the information is inconclusive as to what boat is the best on paper.

So far i know that a 30 footer will not do for sure. Not for all i want to do. A 35 to 38 footer looks more like something that would work for me?

A 40 seems like too much boat even financially since i have read that footage means more money and a 35 is not so demanding of cash? Help me here if i am all out of shape.

So i guess that a 35 to 38 would be a good compromise? Help!

Thanks!
Well... no problem starting with the Cat 30. They hold their value well, sail good. You need some sailing and experience to know what you really want anyway!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 19:36   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobalu View Post
It's a good boat and there certainly are plenty of them in SW Michigan. I know of mid-70's Catalina 30 in South Haven that I am sure the owner would like to get rid of cheap (probably under $5K). My slip neighbor used to own it and used it regularly.

It's in pretty reasonable shape though the sails are getting old. Also has an Atomic 4. Though panned by many here, I have had one for years and find it reliable and easy to service.

If you are open any other boats, there are tons in the 28 to 35 foot range in SW Michigan. Go walk any boatyard now and you will find plenty for sale. I just picked up a fairly reasonable Westsail 32 for a song. The owner was old and really wanted out of it.

For that matter, I am putting my 30' 1970 C&C Redwing up for sale this spring once I finish refinishing the decks. It's currently in South Haven, MI
Hey thanks i am going to go down to South Heaven tomorrow just to check things out down there. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 18-12-2015, 21:20   #28

Boat: 1988 Ericson 34

It goes without saying that the biggest consideration for a potential buyer of a vintage sailboat is the condition of the particular boat that is for sale. But there is something about all Catalina 30s that needs to be said: they are very good-looking boats. It's just something about the shape and proportions that creates an elegant, understated, thoroughly nautical look. I have always admired them.

Having said the above, I would not take one offshore. It can get very, very nasty out there.
Teranodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:44   #29
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
I am looking at a Catalina 30, 1977 and i was wondering whether this boat is worth considering for a cruiser/sailer/bluewater dame?
I think the Catalina 30 is a great boat for a solo sailor for extended coastal cruising, or for a small couple for weekends and vacations.

Pros:
1. Nice looking, fairly modern looking for age, and clean lines.
2. Abundant space for LOA.
3. Just under 30 ft LOA, so no DTOPs sticker needed for visit from Canada.
4. Reasonable performance and easy to sail.
5. Great cockpit space (traveller forward of the companionway).
6. Manufacturer still in business.
7. Great association and aftermarket support.

Cons:
1. Most were equipped with gas engines.
2. Café style salon (table is in the way most of the time).
3. Space under settees taken by tankage rather than for stowage.
4. Rudder subject to water ingress (fractures half way down in freezing climates.)
5. Anchor locker lid subject to water ingress and weakening.

Just my observations. Never owned one, but worked on plenty.

Now the Catalina 320, that's a nice ride (but a lot more dollars).

Ramblin Rod
About Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 23:51   #30

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
So far i know that a 30 footer will not do for sure
Are you sure? Mine is 29' and she does well enough
The Pardeys have an 28' boat, no engine, and no way are your plans "bigger" then what they're doing / have done.

I'm assuming you're aware considering in one of your (many ) other topics you posted you made an offer on a 32' boat. I think. Haha, I'm confused, too many topics still going

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, money, sail, sailboat