Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2024, 05:19   #1

Boat: 1989 Beneteau 35S5
1986 Sabre 34 MKII vs 1989 Beneteau 35S5

I will be moving one of my SV’s to US East coast of SC/NC for coastal cruising. Any thoughts on cost effective moving/rigging/etc and seaworthiness considerations. I’ll need to choose shortly which one to move.

PawPaw
PawPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 05:27   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: 1986 Sabre 34 MKII vs 1989 Beneteau 35S5

Hi, PawPaw and to the forum.

Do I understand correctly that you own two boats and are asking which one you should keep? From where are you moving them? Sailing across the Atlantic? Trailing from CA?
JoeRobertJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 07:37   #3

I currently live near Lake Hartwell in upstate of SC where both boats are located. I also own a slip in Little River SC where I will be moving one of the boats. The other I will leave on Lake Hartwell and continue to sail until I retire and move to Little River or proximity at which time I’ll sell the second boat. As frequently as possible I will be going to Little River and doing coastal cruising. After retiring and moving to the coast, I will be doing longer excursions along east coast of US and Caribbean. Potentially a 40-45 ft boat could be in the future for the east coast cruising.

Thanks for reaching out! I’m just trying to think things through and make good decisions��

Dave
Old 26-02-2024, 09:14   #4

Boat: Motiva 39 DS

Having extensively sailed on a Sabre 34 in regattas near Marblehead and Cape Cod, I found them to be very solid and well built boats buily up in Maine. They're not mass produced and had comensurate details (ie. tool drawers with tool inlays so that nothing moves around).
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2024, 11:21   #5

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

IMO the Sabre is a better built boat. You have the luxury of having sailed and work on (presumably) both. Which boat do you enjoy the most? Which boat is better equipped or most updated to serve as a coastal cruiser?

I currently sail my boat (Sabre also) on Lake Lanier. We own a slip in Southport, NC and are on the same plan to make this our home in the next few years. Good luck and enjoy your move.

Best

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2024, 07:17   #6

The Beneteau has all lines run to cockpit so better to short hand or solo, both seem relatively comparable sailing, both comparably equipped and need upgrading to prepare for coastal sailing, both engines run well (Westerbeke 27 in Sabre, Yanmar 30 in Beneteau). Both my wife and I really like the openness of the Sabre Salon. The Beneteau has better storage but the center console/table in the salon tightens up the salon though possibly that could be a plus if pitching around in the Atlantic. I’m working on solar in both and I do plan on getting AIS and possibly radar for the one that ends up going to the coast.

Both boats have functioning 110 HVAC, both have non-functioning refrigeration (I’m sure original units on both). Btw, both are in need of a dodger. Any ideas on a cost effective dodger?

So…areas I’m dealing with, and any feedback is appreciated, re: transport, rigging, bottom prep and thru-hulls, de-leaking (both have some leaks, Sabre more than Beneteau), electrical (Beneteau need more improvement than Sabre).

I’m making it sound like they both are train wrecks but actually they are both pretty nice boats for their age. I’m just a bit OCD and meticulous so I want them to be as near perfect as possible, especially the one going to the coast.
I’m open to very good condition functional used equipment.

PawPaw

JoeRobertJr, Thanks for the “welcome” to the forum. Flee27 let’s stay in touch. RobertL with your experience with a S34, I’d love to be able to bounce things off of you. With me being new to the forum, I’m receptive to suggestions as to privacy setting, ways to minimize bothering others with irrelevant content, etc
Old 27-02-2024, 07:29   #7

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

To add to the Sabre info. If you are not a member of the Sabre forum definitely become one. It is a great forum for Sabre owners.
https://groups.io/g/SabreSailboat/topics

If you mast step is in good shape on the Sabre then my only other comment would be on the electrics. For all the things Sabre did right in their built quality, wiring was not one of them. I have just gone through a complete rewire on mine I can confirm this is true. I don't know how it compares to the Beneteau.

Another thing to consider on the lower east coast/Bahamas area would be draft. Maybe this would also play into which boat would be better.

Good luck with your decision.

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:34   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Just my opinion but I'd take the Sabre.
I've gone through a lot of boats prior to auctions, as well as going through potential boats friends were considering buying. The build quality and fit and finish on the Sabre is superior to the Bene . The 34 alo sails nicely, I'm still mad at myself for passing on a Sabre 34 at an auction 10 years ago. If redoing an older boat it's usually best to start with one that had better build quality to start with. This is no slight to the Bene, they're good boats for the most part, but were one class down from the Sabre, they're a production boat built to fit a price range, so little things like hardware, interior finish, and overall hull layup will be on different levels. Of course the Sabre requires a bit mor varnish work, but it's a small price to pay to get a handsome, quality vessel.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 06:25   #9

Thanks for reply. Pretty much affirming my instincts!

PawPaw

Tags
beneteau, sabre