Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2022, 08:35   #1

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5
Catalina 27 Leak Repair Assistance

Doing some legwork for a C 27 owner who's boat has developed a leak from the stern. This is the 1st step of my research, thinking other owners might have dealt with this and save some time. I have not yet laid eyes on the condition but what I am told is there is a sort of "rubber boot" around the engine shaft that when the prop is engaged or the boot is squeezed by hand it leaks and does so badly enough to jeopardize the vessels safety.

Anyone dealt with this before or able to direct me to plans/drawings of the "boots" specs./attachmenn\t points or repair procedures?

TIA
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:37   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Catalina 27 Leak Repair Assistance

Is this rubber boot something like a Volvo shaft seal?

Photos will be a big help
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:38   #3

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

My C27 has an outboard so apples/oranges, but see the bottom row of items; probably something to do with that:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-...ine/props-etc/
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 08:49   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Is this "boot" for the stuffing box hose? Does the boat have a stuffing box or is it a dripless shaft seaL like this one ?

If it is a dripless, do you know how old it is? Generally the boot and seals are generally recommended to be replaced after 6-7 yrs.

The Catalina one linked above seems expensive and you could get a Lasdrop for less $$.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 09:51   #5

Thanks for the quick responses. This boat is one of the fleet in the sailing club/school I attend and I just spoke with the Maintenance Officer who'd brought the leak to my attention last week. I sail this boat regularly and like the idea of her staying afloat. I am told it is indeed a dripless shaft seal that is the culprit- apparently the leak occurs when the engine is driven at > 2500 rpms so appropriate signage has been placed to regulate club members operations. The decision to haul out is being made and prioritized to get this and other repairs done. Boat repair is such an integral part of learning to sail and boat ownership I've looked forward to volunteering some time toward the maintenance department's scheduled upkeep and find developing an understanding of a sailboats mechanical systems increases my confidence and enjoyment sailing her. Looks like I'll be learning what is involved replacing a shaft seal some time in the near future. Thanks again for the links.
Old 15-09-2022, 10:09   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The inboard C27 came with a Universal, IIRC a M18. And, a standard stuffing box.

Given that dripless are expensive, I highly doubt a dripless was installed on a C27.

The stuffing box surround is rubber hose. There would be, of course, water in it, and if squeezed it could come out; via the end of the hose if not properly clamped, or along the shaft if the packing gland is tired.

If it only leaks above 2500 that's to an extent normal; in fact a standard stuffing box is supposed to drip any time the shaft is rotating. Above 2500 would be common if the shaft is warped or engine misaligned.

If it only leaks above 2500....don't run it above 2500. In fact, check the shaft at 1500; if the shaft is hot you have a small problem that while small does need to be addressed.

This doesn't sound like a crisis to me. I'm more suspicious of the information. How about a photo of said dripless shaft seal?
Old 15-09-2022, 10:14   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
The inboard C27 came with a Universal, IIRC a M18. And, a standard stuffing box.

Given that dripless are expensive, I highly doubt a dripless was installed on a C27.

Expensive?

A Volvo seal to fit the shaft on a cat27 is under $150usd!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 10:21   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. This boat is one of the fleet in the sailing club/school I attend and I just spoke with the Maintenance Officer who'd brought the leak to my attention last week. I sail this boat regularly and like the idea of her staying afloat. I am told it is indeed a dripless shaft seal that is the culprit- apparently the leak occurs when the engine is driven at > 2500 rpms so appropriate signage has been placed to regulate club members operations. The decision to haul out is being made and prioritized to get this and other repairs done. Boat repair is such an integral part of learning to sail and boat ownership I've looked forward to volunteering some time toward the maintenance department's scheduled upkeep and find developing an understanding of a sailboats mechanical systems increases my confidence and enjoyment sailing her. Looks like I'll be learning what is involved replacing a shaft seal some time in the near future. Thanks again for the links.

The M18 max rpm is 3200. If you can't get past 2500 rpm w/o excessive leakage from the dripless, would check some things while you have the shaft uncoupled from the motor.

1. Is the shaft straight?
2. Does the cutlass need to be replaced?
3. Is the prop out of balance/blades damaged?
4. Check shaft alignment to motor and if both couplers flat/mated well to each other
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 13:05   #9

Bill O-

Thanks for the heads up regarding possible related concerns. As mentioned I haven't laid eyes on the issue and am just doing some pre-haul out legwork for the responsible party. The engine is, I am almost certain, a Yanmar- don't know how this effects the equation. Also as mentioned it is a club boat, one of a small fleet of different makes, so it is subjected to a variety of novice mistakes. The Maintenance Manager indicated it was a dripless seal but he's doing his own research so I'll have to wait and see when the boat gets pulled or might stick my head down the lazarette for a look next time I take her out.

In any case, your related concerns will be communicated to maintenance and used to evaluate the needed repairs. I'll post a follow up to this thread when the work gets completed to keep the issue archived. Thanks to all who contributed.

Tags
catalina, repair