Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2022, 06:34   #16

Re: Hylas, Amel, Hallberg Rassy revisit

The pandemic seemed to have created a price increase on all used items from recreational use, the vehicles we drive, and homes. I was looking to purchase an small airplane just prior to the onset of the pandemic, the prices were very reasonable. Then the pandemic struck, prices seemed to have doubled (maybe an exaggeration) and are still up there, sounds like much the same with sailing vessels.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:40   #17

Try to avoid teak decks.....
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22   #18

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

You'll not go wrong with the Hylas, Amel, or HR. Personally, I'm enamoured with the older HR; I see one and my heart skips a beat. It's not what we need right now, but there's just something about them. Then again, I also love the Corbin 39 to which the boss says NO WAY. YMMV.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound_308 View Post
So window shopping as one does for retirement, and it seems like the used Hylas prices have gone up. Looks like the average 46' Hylas is more than the comparable 46' Hallberg Rassy, and they are pushing close to the price of an Amel 54. Is this just sellers wishful thinking trying to take advantage of the current market? Most of the Hylas are here in the US so maybe our inflation is hitting them harder?

While Hylas are good boats I was under the impression they weren't quite the level of the other two, but I could definitely be wrong there.

Also, for people shopping under 200,000 the Hylas 45.5 seems to be a lot of boat for the money for a cruising couple. I would love to hear anyone with first hand knowledge of that boat.

Inflation has nothing to do with used boats. The supply and demand is what drives boat prices.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31   #20

Boat: Brewer 44

I agree. My friend just sold his Hylas 46 in excellent condition. It took him a year and he had to drop his price from $390 to $340k. He sold it in Annapolis.
GinoDelG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:36   #21
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
You'll not go wrong with the Hylas, Amel, or HR. Personally, I'm enamoured with the older HR; I see one and my heart skips a beat. It's not what we need right now, but there's just something about them. Then again, I also love the Corbin 39 to which the boss says NO WAY. YMMV.
I dont like the HR old range , very cramped small doors , feels claustrophobic for a 6'4" person , took an old HR across the ocean , teak made a huge lot of noise below
Old 12-08-2022, 08:53   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I dont like the HR old range , very cramped small doors , feels claustrophobic for a 6'4" person , took an old HR across the ocean , teak made a huge lot of noise below
But the new range is amazing and teak is optional for many new range models. And yes I’m biased.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
But the new range is amazing and teak is optional for many new range models. And yes I’m biased.

As with all things boats, some you like ,some you don’t. I looked hard at the HR 50 - Nice boat, sailed really well, liked the modern styling. Didn’t like all the wood below (personal preference I know) and didn’t like the lack of deck storage which is poor for a long distance cruiser. Exposed helm is another thing I did not like.

Nice boat though - they will sell a lot and I like where they are going with their designs.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Tom Crean View Post
As with all things boats, some you like ,some you don’t. I looked hard at the HR 50 - Nice boat, sailed really well, liked the modern styling. Didn’t like all the wood below (personal preference I know) and didn’t like the lack of deck storage which is poor for a long distance cruiser. Exposed helm is another thing I did not like.

Nice boat though - they will sell a lot and I like where they are going with their designs.
Agree. The storage on some models isn't that great but on others is utterly cavernous Ex: HR400 base layout has tons of storage but the more spec you add to the boat the less practical storage you end up with. Love them or not, the new range HRs sail GREAT.

Often lost in these discussions, about this boat or that, is the importance of the designer/design office. For this and the last generation of HRs, as well as the Hylas models, I think the OP is referring to, German Frers was the designer.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I do agree the latest generation of HRs are much better , roomy , beam carried aft , better bathing areas , good hydrodynamics and airy light interior aesthetics.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:18   #26

They are all nice boats.

And yes, of the Three, Hylas is probably the lesser quality of three, although still not bad.

And I don’t buy all this scare tactics on not being able to buy. Especially 5 yrs from now. Just keep looking and don’t be afraid to look at more distant areas. I have bought and sold cruising boats in Mexico and Grenada before. It’s a big world.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV-Viento View Post
Agree. The storage on some models isn't that great but on others is utterly cavernous Ex: HR400 base layout has tons of storage but the more spec you add to the boat the less practical storage you end up with. Love them or not, the new range HRs sail GREAT.

Often lost in these discussions, about this boat or that, is the importance of the designer/design office. For this and the last generation of HRs, as well as the Hylas models, I think the OP is referring to, German Frers was the designer.
German Frers - great designer. Love his boats and the early HRs are still great cruising boats. They are classics and you can't go wrong with them.

HR400 - now that's a nice boat.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 03:27   #28

Boat: Oyster Hp 49 Pilot House

Go to market place and search
Huskybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 03:47   #29

Boat: Oyster 66

These kind of high end boats are in a red hot market right now.

A bellwether is the Oyster 56. There are only 4 for sale now. 10 years ago there were about 20 for sale. Prices are now as high as they were back then. Quite nuts in my view.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2022, 12:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
There are a lot of older boats out here with deferred maintenance, walking the boat yards is a bit depressing. Down here in Trinidad is an Amel 54, maybe a 2000, has plants growing from the deck. Certainly covid has stopped some from visiting and using the boat but there are people you can hire to oversee your boat or you could have it covered to protect the deck from the elements.
There was no Amel54 out in the Market in 2000. maybe a Maramu or supermaramu or even older Model??
MOMO-SARUWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hallberg rassy, Hylas