Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 12:16   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
If all else fails, piss on it...
Umm, does that mean the same in American English as it does in British English?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Umm, does that mean the same in American English as it does in British English?
These stickers are specially made to be used in urinals, and can be seen in the public toilets of Belgian schools, youth clubs, and pubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pissonit-gwb.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	9787  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:31   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Suddenly the old scungy ropes don't seem so bad. I think I'll live with them .
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion
slomotion:One of the biggest differences between getting ready to go and actually being underway is not that everything is finally done. It's that all those things that still aren't quite right suddenly don't seem so important anymore.

There is NOTHING wrong with an old scungy rope! We have 2 Genoa sheets we have been trying to break for the last 17,000 NM's!

When we bought the boat we couldn't afford new sheets though we knew they were desperately needed. They get frayed where they pass around the baby stay if the lazy sheet isnt fully let off. So we end for ended the sheets and the other ends frayed! So now we have sheets with 2 deep frays in each! We have bought ONE spare utility-for-everything sheet/rope/line. Surely one sheet must pop soon!? (lets not bring on a harbinger..)

What I am saying is to carefully read slomotion's post. Slowly and carefully read it.

It is the wisest post you will ever see in this forum.

Instead of sitting in port wasting your life with irrelevancies you should be getting away cruising. Change your silly ropes in 17,000 miles. Also then you will realise breaking strain has nothing to do with new sheets. Its whats gunna fit your blocks that counts!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 16:52   #34

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
I'm sorry, what was the question? All I have in my backpack is this stuff:

In order to go on living one must try to escape the death involved in perfectionism.
Hannah Arendt

Perfectionism is not a quest for the best. It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough - that we should try again.
Julia Cameron

Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor.
Anne Lamott

The fastest way to break the cycle of perfectionism ... is to give up the idea of doing it perfectly - indeed to embrace uncertainty and imperfection.
Arianna Huffington

and for a really big finish ...

Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.
Hannah Arendt
Old 08-09-2009, 16:57   #35
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Mark, Dude, did ya totally miss the part about WE GOT TO SAIL HER??? ; -) I mean, we want to be cruising already but have one still in highschool and other land locked complications and a need to work for a few more years before the cruising happens. But at least we are clear from all the excellent advice we get here... 'Go Sail' is the bottom line on it all!

Cause it was gonna be a beautiful day and Himself was all prepped to work all day and I just said "come on we are going sailing!" and he was pretty nervous with all the issues we have had the last two times, but he got himself a brass pair and said "sure!" so out we went... and it was just glorious.

And talking to Himself on the phone later today I mentioned I was putting the lines on a back burner and he just said "OK, sounds like a good idea"

It's way to easy to get too wrapped up in the inconsequential details, or to not be able to tell the critical stuff from the extraneous stuff.

Yeah, that's one of the things I come here for. reality checks.

And Speakeasy... love the quotes. my own is
"Life is NOT a dress rehearsal!"
It's good to remember that once in a while...
Thanks!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 17:01   #36

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
It is ok to be overwhelmed now and then. Happens to everyone - at least it happens to me too.

Just take a break, kick back, and chill. All that stuff you mention in post #1 is just like dirty dishes - they will still be there in the morning if you don't take care of them now. Just ignore them for a little while and go do something that makes you happy you are still young, alive and healthy. Give those annoying chores some space and time - when you come back - the chores won't seem like such mountains I'll bet.

Maybe some chocolate or your favorite alcoholic beverage would be appropriate. Maybe a short trip out of town. It's ok - really. Just let it go.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 18:35   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Mark, Dude, did ya totally miss the part about WE GOT TO SAIL HER???
OK here is the drill. It's mostly about showing up! You have to be present to win! In the overall game plan you get screwed a bunch but you get "those days" where the magic works. Those are what it's all about. Darn glad to to hear you got one. You swallowed the hook now and you want more! Perfect sail and everything.

Details may be inconsequential but they fall in your lap and you got them all over yourself (or himself). You get better and then you know more, then you figure out you know less, then you know more.

If you think it's over you are clearly in serious trouble. Look for the things you don't know and take the days you get. You can have a lot of fun if you only can do that much. Think how good it could be if you could do more! No limit on too much fun! Sure beats fishing.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:47   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Here's one site...

New England Ropes Selection Guide at Mauri Pro Sailing

There's another site where you can select a boat and it will give you sizes and lengths but it's on the other PC or lost. I'll check tonight...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote