Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 21:25   #16

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies
Re: Introduced the dogs to the boat - didn't go so well

I am sitting at anchor right now with my 80 lb Basset Hound, which is a supposedly hydrophobic breed.

He is a happy guy on the boat. He does not like getting on and off. A regular dock where he can jump on and off, he is happy with.

Last night we tied up on a 15' dock (35' boat) and couldn't get him on or off, except over the life lines. What a lift, nearly got his bigingees caught on a stanchion.

I think a lot of boarding a dog has to do with your comfort level, if you are relaxed, he will be relaxed, if you are nervous, he will be very nervous.

Maybe get more comfortable with the boat yourself, and the first mutts will sense your comfort level and feel more relaxed?
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:54   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
If the finger dock is very narrow...possibly an "L" shaped ramp that would eliminate a couple of the four steps. Fold it up and done.

Good idea, no matter whether finger pier is narrow or not. Good way to extend the slope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
John, you're right, sometimes, it's not meant to be. 95 lbs. is a lot of not well coordinated beast to cram into a small space, I can easily see how it might be frightening for her.

Potentially true, but possibly something that can be overcome in some (many?) circumstances. Certainly need enough space to turn around in but then again our 120-lb Pyr worked out stuff like that... even with the 80-lb Golden in his way some of the time... and OP has a more open boat, so those dogs have room once they get there and get cozy.

John, look for ways to make it fun.

He says, hopefully...

-Chris
Old 07-09-2016, 05:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

My 80# Pitt Mix took to the boat just fine, only once did she miss the boarding and wind up in the drink.... She will even climb the crappy OEM ladder that CAL puts on the stern. I'm not sure how she figured it out, but she always relieves herself on the leeward toe rail right by a scupper. Quick burst with the hose and all gone!

(Cue the collective gasps for allowing dog sewage into the water!)
Old 07-09-2016, 07:21   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Hydrophobic basset hounds? Hahaha! This makes me laugh! We used to have a basset and he loved the row boat...he loved jumping off the bow! Never mind that hecwould sink like a stone! Can you guess his name? Bob!

As for the dog self training to the scuppers...I am in awe!
Old 07-09-2016, 12:09   #20

Boat: PT-11

Also, a good lifting harness is a godsend. We liked the kind that separates so you could remove the rear part and use the forward part as a collar. http://solvitproducts.com/medium-car...ness-full-body

Sent from my MotoG3 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs