Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 04:40   #31

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Your probably going to hire a surveyor go find the surveyor first. Unless you want to deal with brokers fall in love and then get a survey because you need it. Seems ass over tea kettle not to have a surveyor on board first. I worked in the boating industry for years had above average water under my keel. So I was pleasantly surprised that my surveyor knew something's i didn't. He also brought market perspective which I didn't have. I could add up refit costs repair costs etc.. He brought another chip to the table. My boat is insured so I needed his work anyway. If I ever decide I need another boat cant imagine that i would start by finding a surveyor like manning first then go talk with brokers.
+ 1 on Dave Manning. He performed the survey on my current boat. He was very thorough.

Boat US, my insurer, sent me a list of their " approved" surveyors, picked him out of a hat so to speak..He did a great job, didn't miss a thing!
Old 31-07-2011, 04:50   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

I am curious about one thing ... did you try another broker's office or did you give up at that point? Have you tried any of the other positive suggestions offered here?

If you are still looking for referrals PM me I can recommend a very good broker in Annapolis.
I was not looking for a broker, I was scouting marinas. His door was open as I drove by so I thought a "HI, I am looking for a boat." would be a nice congenial way of starting a conversation. A simple response of "I have a couple here right now, here is my card, call me Monday and we can talk" would be a decent response. Not a dismissive talking down. If he can't be nice on a cold call how can he be honestly nice on an appointment. If I would call for an appointment (not going to happen) how will I know the person talking to me is not just putting on an act?

Remember his response to me saying "HI" was to not ask me anything about what I wanted, but to go down a list of things someone buying anything that goes on the water should do before shopping, but to dress me down for bothering to stop by and ask. And as I said before, I am a large woman with an accent usually heard 1500 miles west of Annapolis.

I don't care how inconvenient a drop in customer is, that person could be your best customer ever, you treat her politely and well. You do not know anything about your potential customer so before insulting her you should talk "with" not "at" or "down to".
Old 31-07-2011, 05:09   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
I was not looking for a broker, I was scouting marinas. His door was open as I drove by so I thought a "HI, I am looking for a boat." would be a nice congenial way of starting a conversation. A simple response of "I have a couple here right now, here is my card, call me Monday and we can talk" would be a decent response. Not a dismissive talking down. If he can't be nice on a cold call how can he be honestly nice on an appointment. If I would call for an appointment (not going to happen) how will I know the person talking to me is not just putting on an act?

Remember his response to me saying "HI" was to not ask me anything about what I wanted, but to go down a list of things someone buying anything that goes on the water should do before shopping, but to dress me down for bothering to stop by and ask. And as I said before, I am a large woman with an accent usually heard 1500 miles west of Annapolis.

I don't care how inconvenient a drop in customer is, that person could be your best customer ever, you treat her politely and well. You do not know anything about your potential customer so before insulting her you should talk "with" not "at" or "down to".

Me and Boo........Its normaly around this stage on this type of thread that the ¨¨brokers¨¨ and their mates suddenly ¨appear¨ on here.....your point is crystal clear and understood....dont give up, dont allow yourself to be bullied, there are some decent brokers out there, good luck!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 05:48   #34

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If I was a broker I would want my potential customers to have done his/her homework. Walking into a brokers office with the simple statement " I want to buy a boat" doesn't really work for anyone does it? Ask yourself how many times this guy has had to trudge down the same dock to show the same boats to the same people who really have no idea what they really need let alone what they want. A good broker will bend over backwards to get you the boat you want if you are specific as to what you want and are willing to work with them.
I am not a broker but I believe that when tarring it is best to use a narrow brush.
I've got to disagree with your stance here. If a person is buying their first boat, they probably don't know what "homework" needs to be done. This is really short sighted on the part of the broker because how many people stick with their first boat for a lifetime? Not many. That rude broker is not only losing the sale of the first boat, but any boats in the future.

What is this "doing homework" in order to become a "potential customer"? You are forgetting who a listing broker works for and that is the seller of the boat who is paying them a large sum of money to show the boat of their "bosses" to those who might be interested in purchasing.

I also find it pretty humourous to think of these poor brokers having to "trudge down the same dock" during the course of their day. Come on, its not hard, manual labor in adverse condtions its walking down a dock in shorts and Top Siders.

I worked as an event coordinator(mostly weddings) and would have many appts. in a week with people that I knew could not afford the facilities I worked with. Not everyone can blow a min. of $30,000 for a party. I never once spoke down to someone or didn't make time for them and if I couldn't help them, I'd point them in the direction of people and facilities that could. I did this knowing that there would be no gain what so ever for myself but I did it because that is how I would want to be treated. You know what, I had more referrals and word of mouth business than I could handle and had to refuse work because my calendar was too full. I still made time for people, even if they didn't have the budget. You get back what you give. Sales is a service industry- if you aren't willing to offer service you need to find another career.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 06:02   #35

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

If I were a boat Broker...in a down economy..or in any economy for that matter, and someone walked into my office and said: " I want to buy a boat" They would have my undivided attention!

What's to think about?
Old 31-07-2011, 06:03   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
If I was a broker I would want my potential customers to have done his/her homework. Walking into a brokers office with the simple statement " I want to buy a boat" doesn't really work for anyone does it? Ask yourself how many times this guy has had to trudge down the same dock to show the same boats to the same people who really have no idea what they really need let alone what they want. A good broker will bend over backwards to get you the boat you want if you are specific as to what you want and are willing to work with them.
I am not a broker but I believe that when tarring it is best to use a narrow brush.

You are completely missing the point, the OP was treated terribly, there is no excuse for ignorance! A good broker will easily work out in minutes exactly what the customer is looking for, Some buyers will know exactly what they are looking for but what about if they are completely new to boating, maybe they are not 100% sure as to what they want and that the broker could perhaps help?? Bloody hell..........
Is it really so difficult to be nice to someone who is making an enquiry? Even if the broker does not have time to show a person a boat, can he not politely give his card and perhaps take email details so he can drop a line latter??? Lets stop being silly here!!!
Old 31-07-2011, 08:46   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Excellent observation, Mimsy... let me know when you get in to the boat brokerage business... cheers, Capt phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 09:31   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

Yes, there are some good brokers in the biz, and even more jerks in our experience as buyers. How do the good ones work?

Well, quite some years ago a friend of ours lost his dental lab business in a nasty divorce. He was a sailor, so he got a job at a kinda "used car lot" brokerage in the SF bay area. It was in a time of recession, and sales were very slow, and there were 5 other salesmen at the firm. In his first two months at work, the firm sold 21 boats. He sold 20 of them.

So I asked him how he did it? He said it was simple: He listened carefully to what the customer said , tried to figure out what they really wanted, and then showed them around boats that actually matched their desires. Didn't try to move them upmarket, didn't try to sell them the dogs to get them off the list, didn't waste their time with the boats that were easy to get to but didn't match, treated them like a friend... pretty simple stuff, and it worked!

You would think these sorts of practices would be second nature to brokers, but sadly they don't seem to be.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 31-07-2011, 09:44   #39

I think the OP should start by looking at the brokers websites. Find a few boats you like the look of, around the right size and price, then contact the brokers and make a appointments to see them.

It sounds so much better when you say "I want to take a look at the Bristolina 40 you have for sale", than "I want to buy a boat".
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 10:38   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I think the OP should start by looking at the brokers websites. Find a few boats you like the look of, around the right size and price, then contact the brokers and make a appointments to see them.

It sounds so much better when you say "I want to take a look at the Bristolina 40 you have for sale", than "I want to buy a boat".

Really, and what about me when I go to the popular Puerto Banus Marina, Marbella on Tuesday (Ive a none boating related meeting).......IF, I have time afterwards I plan to have a walk around, see what boats are for sale, maybe look in the windows of any brokers that are there, IF, something catches my eye I may step inside and talk to the broker......or, I may step inside to say hello and see if he can give me a list of any 40-44ft none production boats he may have.........maybe there is one near where I am standing I could walk over to and have a look at???? I will NOT be treating ANY broker like ¨royalty¨......I will behave in the same way as when I have bought houses and cars......if that does not suit the broker then he can get stuffed and I will go else where, I hope the OP will do the same............ Man ohh man, and I promised myself not to go down this path...........It should be so simple to be polite, the boating community is a wonderful one but unfortunately this is a part of it that is full of Bullsh*t.............Again, we all know there are brokers who lurk here and others who are quick to ask someone to send a PM as they know someone who can ¨help¨, .......commision comes to mind
Old 31-07-2011, 12:34   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Me-and-Boo,
First let me apologize for your bad experience with a broker. As you may have guessed, I'm a broker also. It only takes a few bad brokers to make the rest of us look horrible. Before I was a broker I was a buyer and I remember the experience well. I treat people the way I would like to be treated. Whether you're ready to buy today, tomorrow or two years from now you should still get treated with courtesy and respect. If you don't, then look elsewhere. Right now I'm dealing with a client that I'm 99 percent sure is a scammer, but he still gets the same time and respect as all my other clients do.
There are some great brokers in this area. If your looking for a catamaran ( which I don't think you are), then I would be pleased to help you in any way I can. If it's a monohull broker you need send me a PM and I can refer you to some excellent brokers in the Annapolis area.
Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best and hope you find the perfect boat.
Fair winds and smooth sailing...Sid at SailAway

Well done Sid, nice of you to say you are a broker (others dont) and I wish you well with the client.......
Old 31-07-2011, 13:18   #42

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Several months ago I had a "good experience" with a broker, Aussie Boat Brokers at Marmomg Point NSW Australia, and no, I have not discussed a commision structure with them for this advert. When selling my last boat, even though it took 6 months to sell my boat in a flat market, they kept me informed of buyer interest or lack of, we adjusted prices and eventually sold the boat. I did tell them at the start that, as I was building another boat, I had to sell and would meet the market, so they knew that if they got a genuine offer they were likely to get some reward for their effort.

At the weekend I was at the Sydney Boatshow. My wife often tells me I dress like a bum. It's not exactly true. I just don't live in Sydney where everyone wares an expensive suite to go to work. I wear my old "fall apart" shoes so I can get on & off boats easily. None of the "invitation only" type boats wanted me aboard. I did ask on several of the nice trawlers to have alook around and as they were in a charitable mood I was allowed on but no one came near me when I was on the boat. I do have a quiet snigger to myself because well, I probably could scrape the cash together to buy some of these boats. My friend who dropped into the show after work on Friday in his business suite was given the royal treatment, but actually he's broke. It's nice looking around without a salesman hovering over your shoulder anyway.

I went to the show to shop for an electronics package for my new boat. Same story. Even though Furuno was one of my preferred brands, no one came to help me on the stand. Big mistake! I've been quoted a full electronics package (2 plotters, AIS, radar, autopilot & sound system) by another brand whose salesman actually tried to help me. I bought a new tender from the Walker Bay Salesman who offerred me a huge discount if I took the boat off the show floor so he didn't have to cart it home. He was a guy who took an interest in a bum like me. We had a laugh together, the experience was enjoyable and he sold his boat.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 13:41   #43

Boat: 1979 O'Day
pirate Re: Disappointing Broker

Quote:
If I was a broker I would want my potential customers to have done his/her homework. Walking into a brokers office with the simple statement " I want to buy a boat" doesn't really work for anyone does it? Ask yourself how many times this guy has had to trudge down the same dock to show the same boats to the same people who really have no idea what they really need let alone what they want. A good broker will bend over backwards to get yn ou the boat you want if you are specific as to what you want and are willing to work with them.
Perchance,

I disagree with the first part of that. The customer is always the customer and should be treated as such. Primarily, as most of us on this forum whole heartedly agree with, every human being should be treated with kindness, respect, and patience.

As far as the JOB of a salesman, for example, if I walk into a suit store and simply say nothing more than "I need a suit", I would expect a response along the lines of 'sounds great sir let me help you out. Are you getting the suit for a particular occasion, or one to wear regularly to work? Are there any particular things you are looking for in a suit so that we can narrow it down? Or would you like me to give you some suggestions on what I think would work well for you for your requirements'

If he acts like the salesman from boo's post, I would prbly WANT to tell him what he can stick where (but wouldn't do because it's not in my nature) and then promptly leave to find someone who A) deserves my business and B) will actively search their supply for something that meets my needs.

As much as he would WISH that I checked out their website, found exactly what I wanted, and came in with an item number and my measurements to make it a 2 second sale, his job as a salesman is to HELP me find something that I want. If his job was simply to do the paperwork and take my money, his job title would be CASHIER.
WarmWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 14:20   #44

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

John Cotter, who started the TrueValue group, used to start our Bi-Annual market talks with the saying Attitude gets Gratitude. He also used to tell all of us store operators that you bring recession to work with you in the morning.

Old school was about service.
Old 31-07-2011, 15:02   #45
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Me-and-Boo,
First let me apologize for your bad experience with a broker. As you may have guessed, I'm a broker also. It only takes a few bad brokers to make the rest of us look horrible. Before I was a broker I was a buyer and I remember the experience well. I treat people the way I would like to be treated. Whether you're ready to buy today, tomorrow or two years from now you should still get treated with courtesy and respect. If you don't, then look elsewhere. Right now I'm dealing with a client that I'm 99 percent sure is a scammer, but he still gets the same time and respect as all my other clients do.
There are some great brokers in this area. If your looking for a catamaran ( which I don't think you are), then I would be pleased to help you in any way I can. If it's a monohull broker you need send me a PM and I can refer you to some excellent brokers in the Annapolis area.
Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best and hope you find the perfect boat.
Fair winds and smooth sailing...Sid at SailAway
Sid, you sound like a sincere and good person and I wish you the best in your brokerage business. Having said that the worst experience I have had with a broker was with who I believe is your boss. Cashing our 10% deposit which shouldn't even have been put into an escrow account as a contract hadn't been agreed upon, then taking 3-4 months to pay it back in installments was enough to piss me of. What really got me after it was all said and done is he never apologized or admitted to any wrong doing. If you think I still have some animosity after 8 years you are right. Any chance I get I tell this story to someone who is looking for a catamaran. So to sum it up, a bad attitude from a broker can definitely lead to a loss of business over time.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote