Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 14:50   #46

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Advice Needed on Tools for Boats

I like to drill lots of holes in my boat. So I'd say a cordless drill motor w/extra batteries and a couple drill sets including hole saws.
Old 16-11-2011, 15:10   #47

All good advice. There will be a lot of "special" tools you'll need for your particular boat. These will become apparant as you are outfitting. As far as basic tools:
If I was outfitting again, I think I would buy the biggest wrench, pliar, screwdriver, socket set available in one of those organized plastic cases. Too easy to misplace and too hard to find tools that are just in a toolbox or bag. (ask me how I know!!) Not sure they really have to be expensive ones though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 14:31   #48

Boat: Bristol 38.8

For when all else fails:
WD-40
Duct tape
Crowbar
Pipe wrench

Also, I did not see a batten tool listed anywhere.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:13   #49

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long

Loads of great lists. I don't see a small bench vice anywhere (unless it's called something else in non-British English). RG came with one in the small space that is our workshop (a never commissioned second heads) and it's invaluable. If you can find the space, really worth having. We hardly ever get the zy-vice out because this one is convenient.

Also a good multi tool with a lanyard on it for working up the mast, a good climbing kit and a canvas bosuns bucket. Not all jobs happen at deck level.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:34   #50

Boat: Considering options
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl
Loads of great lists. I don't see a small bench vice anywhere (unless it's called something else in non-British English). RG came with one in the small space that is our workshop (a never commissioned second heads) and it's invaluable. If you can find the space, really worth having. We hardly ever get the zy-vice out because this one is convenient.

Also a good multi tool with a lanyard on it for working up the mast, a good climbing kit and a canvas bosuns bucket. Not all jobs happen at deck level.
Yes. A terrific number of lists. About 150 things! I will post a consolidated list shortly. Thanks for the suggestions. I am having a few moments of ... Oh, that's what that thing was... A canvas bosuns bucket...I remember wondering what is this thing used for? Now can I find it again? Maybe.
Awesome Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 11:39   #51

You need stainless steel tools or a very very dry box and then you'll need to keep them wrapped in oil rags or such. Get SS and be done.. That's GOOD SS.. Ones that do NOT show magnetism or very little...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 04:34   #52

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Cruising Vise

We to do most of the maintenance and upgrade’s ourselves and have had a need for a good vise on board. Have been using this Stanley MaxSteel Multi-Angle Vise for some of my projects and it has worked well.
The Swivel ball design allows infinite, lockable positions.
Has hardened & rubber jaws.
The removable jaw pads protect surfaces from marring and damage.
Made from a durable cast-aluminum and steel construction
The jaws open to 3 inchs (76.2 mm)
Its light weight and portable.Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 3.5 inches & 3.6 pounds

Purchased it online from Amazon for $29 us

Never thought we would ever need a vise, but it has come in handy when doing projects on anchor.

Mark
Attached Images

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 05:43   #53

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Instead of a separate vise, I have one of these. Folds flat and can be stored almost anywhere. It's especially useful if you do not have a separate workbench area. $35.

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 07:22   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Instead of a separate vise, I have one of these. Folds flat and can be stored almost anywhere. It's especially useful if you do not have a separate workbench area. $35.

I've got one of those in my Garage (workshop?) - with hindsight (foresight? ) I should have brought it onboard for the refurb......but damned handy at home as well ........and simply don't have room to keep on onboard permanently.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 00:47   #55

These are the best electrical connectors ever! No crimper, reusable, watertight.
Posi-Tite- Watertite Connector

Also, one supplier I use for fasteners is Fastenal. They have SS bolts, screws, everything. I buy a bag of 50 at a time. They have a nice separated drawer set that keeps everything orderly. Buy one drawer at a time, then the mini cabinet for the drawers.

I don't know if these are necessary, but a pair of safety wire pliers is nice. They twist the SS wire simply and easily.

One tool I keep on the truck is an old fencing plier. It has a ...well, it's hard to explain. Hammer, wire cutter, crimper, staple puller in one tool.

And, Gorilla Tape is a MUST. Better than duct tape. I can do a temp tarp repair with it. Probably do a bikini wax with it in an emergency, too.

Fatty Goodlander keeps some toilet ring wax aboard. Fills holes, apparently.
Don't forget the liquid electrical tape and dielectric grease.
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:03   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
[A] sewing machine … probably has saved us the most money over the years in repairs & fabrication of sails, upholstery, canvas and clothing.
May be of some interest: "Which sewing machine?".
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 21:17   #57

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi - this is more a philosophy than an actual tool, but it has gotten me out of so much trouble over the years when working on either a 30-ft sloop or a 300-ft ship.

It came from my long time cruising friend Steve Rogers (credit where credit do). We both had our boats in San Diego in 1981 I use to help him out on projects.

One day I showed up and he was starting to remove a cylinder head with the tools he had onboard (a broken flat blade screw driver, a crescent wrench nicely coated in rust, and a hammer).

I, on the other hand, I had every tool know to man onboard my boat, just 60-ft away. "Hang on a second, I'll go get some tools."

And his reply was: "Pretend we're in Fiji, and this is all we have........"

So much like Mark Watney, you use what you have available - and it will usually do the job. Maybe not the quickest, or easiest, or without blooded knuckles, but you get it done.

And isn't cruising all about being independent and being able to overcome obstacles?

Pretend you're in Fiji......
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 23:46   #58

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Glad we were to have good tools aboard while we were in Fiji! Jim fixed countless outboard motors, a couple of gen-sets, and a whole bunch of sewing machines! Your on board tools help not only you fix things for yourself, but endear you to new friends, as well.

ann
Old 06-02-2016, 01:01   #59

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Its a pretty old thread Ann but if the OP - "Awsome Grandma" is still around she might put in a bid for Jim
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:52   #60

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

For those that carry and use tools I'll ask the same question I asked about guns on board.
How do you maintain them? What if any cleaners and lubricants or protectants do you use on them?
I'm kind of a tool nut and have been since a very young age. My plan is to trade my old sockets and wrenches for new ones that hopefully wont rust as quick, I cant stand rusty tools.
So do you keep them in an airtight box or soaked in oil or some type of wax?
I love salt water just haven't ever lived around it for long periods.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote