Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 11:17   #1

We Need More Storage on Our Hunter 430

I know, I know, get a different boat. Actually we really like our 1996 Hunter, have done loads of upgrades. But we're moving aboard this Spring (Great Lakes) and have to figure out more/more efficient storage. I'm doing what I can with nets, storage below flooring, etc.

Especially interested in storage basket systems or stack-able solutions (we have a three tiered hanging basket for fruit/veggies) but have some shelf areas plus tall lockers where I need to be more efficient.

Thanks in advance!
Mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 12:10   #2

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: We Need More Storage on Our Hunter 430

You aren't getting many responses, I guess because we need more info. What are you trying to store more of? You say "we", how many is that? For just a couple, a 43' boat should have plenty of storage. So the first question is - do you really need all that stuff?

Some ideas off the top of my head - I'm sure you have thought of some of these already, but:

1. Convert an unused cabin to storage. Removing the mattress would help.
2. Use the empty space underneath an overturned dinghy on your deck.
3. Instead of in cockpit lockers, strap kayaks, fuel cans, and similar items securely to the lifelines or on deck.
4. Some things can be stored in the bilges. That's a good place to put wine bottles.
5. Fishing poles and similar light items can be stored along hooks in the ceiling.
6. If you have a separate shower stall, and don't use the shower often, you can hang clothing there and easily move it while you shower.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 12:56   #3

Here's a cool thread this week including a video showing innovative ways of folding clothes so they'll store more compactly.

(Well, at least *I thought it was cool!)

Incredible Ideas with Pinterest
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-248327.html

If you manage to free up some clothes-storage space, you'll have more room for pantry items.

There is also an amazing thread in the archive from last year about liveaboard clothes storage. One guy uses plastic air-tight bags and vacuums the air out - which not only compacts the clothes, but it also prevents mould and mildew.

Good luck,
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:30   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

Which of the staterooms do you plan to use? You might be able to convert one head to accommodate extra storage. You probably don't want to do anything too permanent for resale considerations. We put some plastic bins in the shower portion of our forward had, but at the time we were in the Bahamas so inside shower was never needed.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:49   #5

Here's the thread I was referring to in Post #3:

Clothing Management
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nt-235567.html

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:49   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It would help to know what is going to change: what items you need to find more space for, as well as what spaces you have used for air (like pilot berths) on your boat.

ON our first Insatiable, we converted the port quarter berth and the port pilot berth for stowage, using milk crates to corral the smaller objects, and placing the longer ones outboard. Jim's guitar lived in the starboard pilot berth. Paper charts in garbage bags under mattresses in starboard quarter berth and v-berth. We installed knock down netting over the milk crate stowage, tied it down for passages. We also used milk crates to create a chain locker for our stern anchor, which we kept ready to go, after Jim installed a stern roller. It was mostly rope rode, with only a boat length or so of chain for that anchor.

We stowed the sewing machine in the v-berth, and used it for a step to help get in. And, we stowed Jim's mechanic's vise upside down on a triangular plywood plug we built for the v-berth. We would take the vise out to the cockpit to use it.

Friends of ours have used the suck out vacuum bags for clothes, and also things like powdered milk and flour. One gal stowed all their toilet paper rolls smashed flat, take up less space that way.

Our spinnaker lived in the forepeak during the day, but in the saloon when we slept there. Awnings, when not in use, went in the outboard portion of the storage berths.

Dinghy stored, rolled up on deck in front of the dodger, when not in use.

Some people convert one of the two heads to stowage; some friends of ours used the forward head for sail storage on a boat that didn't have a sail locker; others, have a hanging locker in the head that was converted to shelves for clothing and bedding.

If you're getting ready to shift from weekend and vacation sailing to living aboard without a storage locker, you may need to actually review every item aboard. You need room for all your tools and spares; room for staples and fresh food; cooking gear, etc. You will probably be surprised how few clothes you actually NEED. Even if you have winter gear that must be stowed. You do not NEED to keep more than one set of sheets per berth. You'll wash them to be fresh before the guests arrive, and after their departure. Sheets you can also vacuum bag. Ditto towels, though some friends of ours used to use those camping towels that take up almost no room at all.

If you think in terms of minimum needs, and you're wrong, you'll find spaces for replacement things (I found I wanted more cookie sheets than I had brought with me.) One can get by with one kettle, one good skillet with lid, and one pressure cooker, and do almost everything you could in a fancy kitchen. You can use a Chinese cleaver for chopping. You don't need a food processor, or any big appliance. We eventually replaced a rusted coffee mill with an electric grinder, but people ate well before bulky appliances.

For foods, think more in terms of simplicity, rather than mixes. Also, eggs and mayonnaise do not require refrigeration. That came as a surprise to me. You will want to get the eggs from the egg farm, not the grocery store, and they will be fine. There was a new thread about storing eggs just last week, if you're interested, use the Custom Google search under the search button to find it.

If your bilge is wet, do not store aluminum cans down there. if your wine comes in bottles with aluminum screw tops, find somewhere else for it. In fact if you have a wet bilge, don't yield to the temptation to store anything you don't want to wash thoroughly before opening down there. Bilge water gets really grungy.

You'll work it out. It is a combination of triage beforehand, and every so often after about a year of living with what your decisions were.

Ann

PS. Obviously, if you forego alcoholic beverages, and meat, you have less storage challenges.
Old 22-03-2021, 14:16   #7

-Leather straps on the inside of galley locker doors allow the pan lids to rest in the strap noise free.
-Nesting sauce pans.
-Tip out or swing out door with garbage bin, often below the sink.
-Minimize everything. 2 sauce pans will usually do, etc.
-5 Gal buckets, (square ones if you can find them) make storage realistic in lockers or lazarrette.
-Under V berth storage via a door or drawer on the face of the berth.
-One of those shoe storage hanging units in a hanging locker works well for other things than shoes giving vertical storage.
https://www.amazon.com/Shelves-Hangi...86977339&psc=1

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 10:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
You aren't getting many responses, I guess because we need more info. What are you trying to store more of? You say "we", how many is that? For just a couple, a 43' boat should have plenty of storage. So the first question is - do you really need all that stuff?

Some ideas off the top of my head - I'm sure you have thought of some of these already, but:

1. Convert an unused cabin to storage. Removing the mattress would help.
2. Use the empty space underneath an overturned dinghy on your deck.
3. Instead of in cockpit lockers, strap kayaks, fuel cans, and similar items securely to the lifelines or on deck.
4. Some things can be stored in the bilges. That's a good place to put wine bottles.
5. Fishing poles and similar light items can be stored along hooks in the ceiling.
6. If you have a separate shower stall, and don't use the shower often, you can hang clothing there and easily move it while you shower.
Thanks much for getting the conversation going. Yes, there are just two of us and no, we likely don't need all the stuff. I'm a bit of a spare part junkie, plus paddleboards, scuba gear, guitar, etc. We will be using the forward cabin for storage, as well as the forward head (I like the idea on hanging clothes there, thanks!). It just seems the bilge space for canned goods is not very abundant (due in large measure to the excessive comforts like AC) and we are trying to be creative so all these ideas are wonderful. Thank you very much!
Old 23-03-2021, 10:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It would help to know what is going to change: what items you need to find more space for, as well as what spaces you have used for air (like pilot berths) on your boat.

ON our first Insatiable, we converted the port quarter berth and the port pilot berth for stowage, using milk crates to corral the smaller objects, and placing the longer ones outboard. Jim's guitar lived in the starboard pilot berth. Paper charts in garbage bags under mattresses in starboard quarter berth and v-berth. We installed knock down netting over the milk crate stowage, tied it down for passages. We also used milk crates to create a chain locker for our stern anchor, which we kept ready to go, after Jim installed a stern roller. It was mostly rope rode, with only a boat length or so of chain for that anchor.

We stowed the sewing machine in the v-berth, and used it for a step to help get in. And, we stowed Jim's mechanic's vise upside down on a triangular plywood plug we built for the v-berth. We would take the vise out to the cockpit to use it.

Friends of ours have used the suck out vacuum bags for clothes, and also things like powdered milk and flour. One gal stowed all their toilet paper rolls smashed flat, take up less space that way.

Our spinnaker lived in the forepeak during the day, but in the saloon when we slept there. Awnings, when not in use, went in the outboard portion of the storage berths.

Some people convert one of the two heads to stowage; some friends of ours used the forward head for sail storage on a boat that didn't have a sail locker; others, have a hanging locker in the head that was converted to shelves for clothing and bedding.

If you're getting ready to shift from weekend and vacation sailing to living aboard without a storage locker, you may need to actually review every item aboard. You need room for all your tools and spares; room for staples and fresh food; cooking gear, etc. You will probably be surprised how few clothes you actually NEED. Even if you have winter gear that must be stowed. You do not NEED to keep more than one set of sheets per berth. You'll wash them to be fresh before the guests arrive, and after their departure. Sheets you can also vacuum bag. Ditto towels, though some friends of ours used to use those camping towels that take up almost no room at all.

If you think in terms of minimum needs, and you're wrong, you'll find spaces for replacement things (I found I wanted more cookie sheets than I had brought with me.) One can get by with one kettle, one good skillet with lid, and one pressure cooker, and do almost everything you could in a fancy kitchen. You can use a Chinese cleaver for chopping. You don't need a food processor, or any big appliance. We eventually replaced a rusted coffee mill with an electric grinder, but people ate well before bulky appliances.

For foods, think more in terms of simplicity, rather than mixes. Also, eggs and mayonnaise do not require refrigeration. That came as a surprise to me. You will want to get the eggs from the egg farm, not the grocery store, and they will be fine. There was a new thread about storing eggs just last week, if you're interested, use the Custom Google search under the search button to find it.

If your bilge is wet, do not store aluminum cans down there. if your wine comes in bottles with aluminum screw tops, find somewhere else for it. In fact if you have a wet bilge, don't yield to the temptation to store anything you don't want to wash thoroughly before opening down there. Bilge water gets really grungy.

You'll work it out. It is a combination of triage beforehand, and every so often after about a year of living with what your decisions were.

Ann

PS. Obviously, if you forego alcoholic beverages, and meat, you have less storage challenges.
Thanks Ann,
Some really good suggestions (except for foregoing alcohol that is . We have been trying different versions of boxed wine with bladders and read to stack the bladders in a tub and use one homemade dispenser from a plastic cereal container. We are going to have to get good at the vacuum for clothing, etc. I didn't plan on taking our wetvac opting instead for small cordless dewalt vaccum. And I do think we have too much cookware though love our Magma nested set. And I just bought brackets for inflated SUP's that fold against the rail when not in use (Magma as well).
Old 23-03-2021, 10:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
Thanks Ann,
Some really good suggestions (except for foregoing alcohol that is . We have been trying different versions of boxed wine with bladders and read to stack the bladders in a tub and use one homemade dispenser from a plastic cereal container. We are going to have to get good at the vacuum for clothing, etc. I didn't plan on taking our wetvac opting instead for small cordless dewalt vaccum. And I do think we have too much cookware though love our Magma nested set. And I just bought brackets for inflated SUP's that fold against the rail when not in use (Magma as well).
And oh, BTW, thanks for the milk crate ideas. I just bought a nice set of cloth bins but hadn't considered the milk crates! And you are spot on re: amount of clothing...I'm working on it...read that as my wife...though we will be in cold and warm weather during these four months.
Old 23-03-2021, 10:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
-Leather straps on the inside of galley locker doors allow the pan lids to rest in the strap noise free.
-Nesting sauce pans.
-Tip out or swing out door with garbage bin, often below the sink.
-Minimize everything. 2 sauce pans will usually do, etc.
-5 Gal buckets, (square ones if you can find them) make storage realistic in lockers or lazarrette.
-Under V berth storage via a door or drawer on the face of the berth.
-One of those shoe storage hanging units in a hanging locker works well for other things than shoes giving vertical storage.
https://www.amazon.com/Shelves-Hangi...86977339&psc=1
Love the hanging storage, thanks! And I'll look into the straps though as I mentioned we have a nested set of Magma cookware which doesn't use much space and includes removable handles. Also, we have three lazarrettes in the cockpit. Any suggestion about how much spare oil, coolant, etc. I haven't seen any general guidelines on that. Thanks!
Old 23-03-2021, 10:49   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

BTW, we did splurge on a small Fissler Pressure cooker which will be so energy efficient. https://www.amazon.com/Fissler-FSSFI...6521743&sr=8-2
Old 23-03-2021, 11:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
Love the hanging storage, thanks! And I'll look into the straps though as I mentioned we have a nested set of Magma cookware which doesn't use much space and includes removable handles. Also, we have three lazarrettes in the cockpit. Any suggestion about how much spare oil, coolant, etc. I haven't seen any general guidelines on that. Thanks!
-Oil: I usually kept maybe 2 gallons. Diesel engine oil seems readily available in the Caribe and Mexico. Usually Shell Rotella. For more trips to isolated places maybe more.

-Coolant: maybe a gallon at most. Or none. Really you shouldn't be losing it and it's not a deal breaker if you just use water temporarily.

-Lockers etc are hard to use, but as I mentioned, multiple 5 gallon buckets help to keep things organized as well as any leaks contained. Anything liquid seems to eventually leak due to container wear from vibration etc.

Tools: Have a day bag of oft used tools to grab. Other less used type can be stored where access is more difficult; under the V berth, under setees etc. I like a canvas tool bag not too large for the day bag.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 14:45   #14

Thanks for the fluids suggestion...sounds about right. I've done searching for the 5 gallon buckets- found this set of four gallon ones- https://www.amazon.com/Square-Bucket.../dp/B010GC1E42. I also intend to put the low value, low weight Type II PFD's for USCG numbers in a net under an Atlantic Tower aluminum arch we installed. And bought this bracket for paddle boards- https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product.../dp/B00MNQSHFE
Old 23-03-2021, 14:51   #15

Thanks for the tips. We plan to use the owners cabin and I suppose be using the forward berth for storage then cram things wherever when we have guests. really like the idea of converting forward head with temporary storage. It would accommodate a fair amount. And even use some of our head since we bought a solar shower system and we have been taught we will be using this in cockpit a fair amount. This is all very helpful, much appreciated!

Tags
hunter, storage