Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 09:35   #16

Re: Type 2 Diabetes - drinks

Try sparking or tap water, with a twist of lime, lemon, or orange. Also tea. Keep those small cartons of long life milk on the boat, so I can always make tea.
Old 17-01-2020, 09:38   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I need to drink a lot to control gout, and I’m allergic to the common preventative, Alapurinal (sp?). I also do not want to drink sugary drinks.

The water on our boat keeps quite well but sometimes the water we take on has an “off” taste. At those times, which is too frequent, I resort to using low calorie mixes to flavor the water. However I mix it at half strength or less. Instant iced tea or some Crystal Light. When we are at our summer cabin I drink a lot of tea. There our well is just surface water and has some “flavor.” It’s good water, just contains some tannin. A simple water pitcher with a carbon canister filter takes care of that.

What is hard is when we are out or traveling and I need something to drink. Sometimes I find it almost impossible to get any non-sweetened beverage besides water. It’s generally not a problem in major metropolitan areas but the more you get into the hinter lands the more of an issue it becomes. Many places in the Caribs have no good options. On some rare occasions I’ve not been able to find plain water.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:31   #18

Boat: 1964 MORGAN COLUMBIA 40

Want to get rid of GOUT in one 24 hour period? Eat a spoonful of BAKING SODA. I have had it. You get Gout because your body is ACIDIC. The PH of DIET COKE is 3.5.....7 is neutral. IF you are acidic, cancer is right around the corner. Had that as well. NO CHEMO or Radiation. Humans run around in these meat suits for 50-100 years and DON"T even know how they operate. Quit putting poison in your body and read all labels.....LIKE your Crest or Colgate has SODIUM FLUORIDE in it which is RAT POISON.
Thoth al Khem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Thoth,

Thanks for thinking of me. But I’ve gotten some contrary advice such as below.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/gout-...-remedies.aspx
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:44   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I'm a 73 year old type 2 diabetic with no major complications after 15 years. Water with a slice of lime, one beer a day, and red wine. I put a quarter of a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. I've tried honey for this, tastes fine, but doesn't keep on board. Beware of light, low fat and sugar free anything , they're full of noxious chemicals which have significant adverse effects

I am T2 also. My "go-to" fizzy is Schweppes /(Canada Dry/Motts) Diet Ginger Ale.
It is the only non-Aspartame sodapop available in N.B.,that I know of. It uses Splenda instead-(still a chemical I know,but safer than aspertame IMHO) . No personal ill effects after 15yrs of use-confirmed by qtly blood tests.
Stevia is a reasonably safe chemical sub. for sweetner also.
I agree that going sugar & sweetener free is the best policy.

An alcoholic drink (1.5 oz alk. via spirits,beer,wine,etc.& without a sugary mixer/food) will drop my blood sugar from 8-9 to <4 within 20min. The second one will bring me below 3 & I start getting sweats & shakes.
Go figure?

Cheers/Len
Old 17-01-2020, 10:45   #21

Follow the money. I have had gout.....until I learned how to cure my body for ONE DOLLAR. I have NOT had Gout since 2008, Doctors HATE smart Healthy People. You get gout again....ONE SPOONFUL of Baking soda and NO MORE GOUT.....but, Do as you see fit. If you buy a 10 dollar PH meter and measure your urine I bet it is around 4-5 when it should be 7.347 for optimum health. Otto Warburg, 1931 Nobel Laureate said this : "NO disease can exist in an ALKALINE environment. IF you don't know what PH stands for.......You need to research. Learn how the human body functions. (Potential Hydrogen). Been there....done it.n GOOD LUCK
Old 17-01-2020, 10:51   #22

One more thing Amigo. In San Carlos, Sonora where I bought my sailboat my neighbors brother came to Mexico because he wanted a Mexican Doctor to cure his Gout. It was all over his hands as well in the form of lumps....HORRIBLE. I gave him a box of Arm and Hammer and he NEVER had to go to a doctor. Yet, his gout was gone in 7 days, I can FILL this wall with proof of my claims. I am done talking. Your call. https://iwantgoutrelief.com/baking-s...atment-option/
Old 17-01-2020, 10:51   #23

Boat: Jefferson, MY, 46

I have discovered that Michaelobe Ultra beer and Scotch doesn’t effect my blood sugar 😀 I have been type II DM since 1994. Agent Orange, the gift that just giving!!!
Just Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 10:59   #24

A few years ago I had gout, type 2 diabetes, high triglycerides, and high cholesterol.

It all went away when I started cycling to work. 3 hours a week when you are working hard enough to raise that pulse make all the difference.

Triglycerides and cholesterol are now ideal, not had gout for years, and blood sugar is slightly high but no longer diabetic.

Trying to fix problems caused by lack of exercise, through diet, is not going to work. When they say exercise is good for you, that's a massive understatement, I have now come to realise. It keeps you alive.
Old 17-01-2020, 11:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Trying to fix problems caused by lack of exercise, through diet, is not going to work. When they say exercise is good for you, that's a massive understatement, I have now come to realise. It keeps you alive.
Amen. Money does not prevent natural selection. The only way to transcend one's genes is to consciously go against one's natural quick-fix reward system. The ancient philosophy of "everything in moderation" generally encouraged this. It's the dose that makes the poison...

As a footnote elevated uric acid levels (which accumulates and forms gout crystals) are known to be an independent risk factor for earlier cardiovascular disease (same with triglycerides). Some peoples' plumbing predisposes them to hold onto uric acid, but as a general principle it's best to have a lifestyle that results in lower uric acid levels in the first place (generally by lower level consumption and processing of stuff that leads to accumulation instead of treatment that mucks with processing).
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 12:03   #26

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Club soda. Available everywhere and doesn't have all the chemical sweeteners and flavors of diet sodas. Add a squeeze of lime or lemon if you like.
Yep seltzer water and add your own flavors.
tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 12:12   #27

Artificial sweetners can a raise insulin levels. Never use them if you can get by without. Dr. Jason Fung, a very well know nephrologist has been successful revering type ll diabetes with fasting. Fasting lowers insulin levels. Insulin is the cause of obesity. Higher doses of insulin are required to keep BS in check but it is increased insulin that Is the problem. Fats raise insulin the least. Again, artificial sweetners can raise insulin, even zero calorie ones. Sparking water with a splash of lemon is very satisfying. I am not a diabetic but it did help me get off Diet Coke. Good luck.
safariKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 14:07   #28

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth al Khem View Post
Want to get rid of GOUT in one 24 hour period? Eat a spoonful of BAKING SODA. I have had it. You get Gout because your body is ACIDIC. The PH of DIET COKE is 3.5.....7 is neutral. IF you are acidic, cancer is right around the corner. Had that as well. NO CHEMO or Radiation. Humans run around in these meat suits for 50-100 years and DON"T even know how they operate. Quit putting poison in your body and read all labels.....LIKE your Crest or Colgate has SODIUM FLUORIDE in it which is RAT POISON.
Do you have an aluminium boat to go with your tin-foil hat.

You seem, erm.. quite passionate in the posts you've flooded this topic with. If you are that worried/scared/paranoid (delete as appropriate) perhaps it's better not to breath any air either, it has poisons in it, I mean almost 1% of it is argon.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 16:11   #29
rbk

Boat: T37

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned here and we usually keep some around for ease of use drinks are low to zero sugar zero sweetener beverages like ‘White Claw’ in the States or ‘Nude’ in BC. Pretty sure the Nudes are a vodka base wmligjt flavour zero sugar zero artificial sweetener. You can add a small amount of your choice of sweetener, lime etc.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 17:49   #30

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
Artificial sweetners can a raise insulin levels. Never use them if you can get by without. Dr. Jason Fung, a very well know nephrologist has been successful revering type ll diabetes with fasting. Fasting lowers insulin levels. Insulin is the cause of obesity. Higher doses of insulin are required to keep BS in check but it is increased insulin that Is the problem. Fats raise insulin the least. Again, artificial sweetners can raise insulin, even zero calorie ones. Sparking water with a splash of lemon is very satisfying. I am not a diabetic but it did help me get off Diet Coke. Good luck.
Absolutely. Your brain releases insulin when it senses anything sweet, natural or artificial. You can’t fool your brain this way.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote