Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2012, 14:25   #31

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Re: Turtle meat

Loggerhead (I think) Steaks used to be served in some restaurants in Key West when I was a kid. It was prepared other ways as well but the steaks were my favorite. I thought it was pretty good!

I do know this and it goes for all types of turtles; When you clean it be sure to remove every single bit of fat. Even the smallest little bit. The fat does not taste good and can ruin a recipe.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 15:31   #32

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
So are we talking sea turtles or fresh water turtles/tortoises here? Loggerheads, greens, etc or snapper, etc?

People get riled up about eating turtles without understanding or differentiating what kind of turtles. Somehow, they don't do this for "fish".

Mark
These are sea turtles, the traditional local variety.

They are a major facility with a major tourist facility, so I'm sure they have an extremely detailed website.

"Green Sea Turtles" according to this: Grand Cayman Island Green Sea Turtle Farm
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:49   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
I can't believe people are actually slaughtering these highly endangered animals. There are heavy fines here in Florda for even disturbing a turtle nest on the beach. Why even think of supporting the killing of sea turtles???
Because the killing of sea turtles is what pays for the breeding of sea turtles, which enables the release of sea turtles. It would be nice if a bunch of folks in the tropics suddenly decided to help the turtles by spending their time and money doing exhaustive work to breed them and release them and then went and worked a second job to put food on their own tables, and a third job to pay for the turtle breeding operation, but realistically it just will not happen.

This isn't on turtles, but here is a CBS news piece about how hunting saved a species of Oryx from certain extinction. Economists are pretty united on the fact that hunting and eating animals can be used to save them from extinction where restricting consumption is not helping.

opcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31   #34
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Isn't almost ALL wildlife and conservation activity in the US paid for by hunters in the form of licenses and taxes upon equipment? If it wasn't for legal hunters, there would be a lot more extinctions. Anything worth eating, basically, would be gone.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Isn't almost ALL wildlife and conservation activity in the US paid for by hunters in the form of"
I won't guess about "all" but substantially all waterfowl conservation in the US is paid for by waterfowl (duck) hunting charges, yes. The system works, and so far no one else has ante'd up the money for conservation on the same scale.
Wasn't it the King of Spain who just got flack over that, taking an elephant hunt in Africa, targeting a nuisance elephant and paid to a conservation trust?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 13:01   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Wasn't it the King of Spain who just got flack over that, taking an elephant hunt in Africa, targeting a nuisance elephant and paid to a conservation trust?
His Majesty paid $60,000 for the privilege of plinking that animal, at a time of nation-wide austerity. Plus the cost of losing his honorary position as head of the World Wildlife Fund.

Historic, for when His Majesty apologized to the people of Spain, it was the first time a Spanish monarch had ever apologized for anything. Ever.