Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2020, 07:31   #1

Boat: Cal 29 mk2
Thoughts on new lpg system

Good morning, I知 replacing my old CNG system, as it is impossible to get the tanks filled and the stove is getting a little tired. A brand new day, a brand new stove, all new LPG system. My question is I have a Cal-29 I知 thinking of putting a 5 gallon can in the lazaret in the cockpit a fiberglass one!In a self-contained sealed unit. I would rather do that then drill a hole in the side of the hole for an overflow. Any thoughts on that?
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:40   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Thoughts on new lpg system

You need an overflow to open air. Unfortunately, your plan isn’t the best one.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:22   #3

"Your plan isn't the best one." That is putting it VERY mildly. His plan is a good one if his intention is to blow up his boat.

Without an overboard drain, propane is EXTREMELY dangerous! Actually, propane is pretty dangerous in any case, which is why there are very strict rules about how to plumb a system. Any variation from the rules is a disaster waiting to happen. It would be quite foolish to install a system like you are planning. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the truth.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:42   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Ha ha ha. I was trying to be nice/gentle. DenverdOn is right though. Propane is the last place to take a shortcut. Well, it may be tied with gasoline.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:01   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Get a copy of ABYC A-1 standards and read twice. Tank storage needs to be vented and a drain at the bottom of it. Or just mount the tank on the rail works too. Sealed is not a good idea unless as pointed out "boom" is what you are looking to do.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:51   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
Good morning, I知 replacing my old CNG system, as it is impossible to get the tanks filled and the stove is getting a little tired. A brand new day, a brand new stove, all new LPG system. My question is I have a Cal-29 I知 thinking of putting a 5 gallon can in the lazaret in the cockpit a fiberglass one!In a self-contained sealed unit. I would rather do that then drill a hole in the side of the hole for an overflow. Any thoughts on that?
Vent the lazaret at it's lowest point. No one wants to see you with a bomb.
Drilling a hole is no big deal.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:02   #7

Boat: Morgan 34

I installed my LPG tank in my stern lazarette with great success. Get the complete kit from Defender https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3473225 Molded polymer locker with tank, remote solenoid switch, one piece hose, and everything. Just make sure that you have enough clearance/height in your lazarette to vent the locker THROUGH your hull above the waterline as required, with the vent hose running downhill from the bottom of the locker. As mentioned previously in this forum the locker MUST be vented and independent of any other hoses.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:12   #8

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Maybe I’m anal retentive.... my wife frequently remarks I’m full of sh!t, so she must be right. But when I’m done cooking I obviously close the valve at the stove. Then I close the valve at the tank. It takes me an extra 30 seconds.

Another thing.. since it is a small boat ... you could use the small canisters instead of the expensive as hell fiberglass bomb. Many trailer sailors do that and it works out fine. You would be surprised how long one of those canisters last. Take 3-4 of them with you and your good for months. Then refill those back at the truck with a big bomb tank and your good for the rest of the year. So much easier and safer than carrying the bomb. Make sure you have the other tanks where they don’t rattle around in the lazzerete. And as always make sure your propane sniffer is tested regularly.

I believe in safety. Keep it simple and keep it easy to use. I have an expensive aluminum tank and a one burner job. I’m on a 30 foot trimaran. I’m seriously considering dropping the bomb and going to single canister one burner. I have my alpine backpack stove as backup.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:33   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

And then there's the question of how airtight your lazarrette is? Any propane in there might make it into your boat and accumulate. Start your stove and boom.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:00   #10

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So replace a big bomb with little ones? Still needs to be vented properly
Old 11-08-2020, 13:22   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

CNG is fairly easy to come by if you have a fill adapter. Use the unattended self serve CNG refueling stations. It costs about $1.50 to fill a 2200 psi tank the size of a large scuba tank. (100 cubic foot scuba tank) If you can find a CNG valve to fit a scuba tank you can fill them to 3000 psi. Greater energy density. The huge advantage of LPG is it's energy density, it's a liquid, not a gas like CNG.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:41   #12

Just a little more drift.
Why not LNG you can make a diesel dual fuel.
It would seem venting the locker was the question
Old 11-08-2020, 17:28   #13

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just a little more drift.
Why not LNG you can make a diesel dual fuel.
It would seem venting the locker was the question
How are you going to keep it below negative 260 degrees F?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 09:46   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
How are you going to keep it below negative 260 degrees F?
Surely you knew that was in jest!
Old 12-08-2020, 11:11   #15

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi to alansmith et al
The usual drill is to close the valve at the gas cylinder whilst a burner is lit at the cooker and thus the line is emptied of gas. Then close all valves.
The small gas storage compartment must have a plain vent overboard, and not in to the cockpit, and without a valve. Otherwise the surveyor will note it and no insurance will pay after an incident.

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote