Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 05:51   #16

Re: Storing Flour and Cornmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
A 'bay leaf' in any flour or grain will stop insects/larvae forming.......
I used to believe that, but didn't work for my rice... had to freeze it. Now I freeze.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:57   #17

+1+1+1 on vacuum sealing.

After 2-3 years even bread flour comes out like it was just milled (though you have to aerate it because it's slightly pressed together, like svBebe mentioned). Also recommend vacuumed bags over canisters for flours and grains because they can be stored much tighter.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06   #18

I can understand vacuum sealing for long term storage, but what about in the short term, or when you open the vacuum bag?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38   #19

I just keep it in the bag closed with one of those bag closing thingies gotten at a boat show - no air comes in or out.
If I know that I'm not going to use this type of flour for a long type, I reseal it with the vacuum sealer.

My friend uses small canisters in her galley for storing stuff from opened bags, but I don't have the space for them.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
I just keep it in the bag closed with one of those bag closing thingies gotten at a boat show
describe, pic or link? thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 09:30   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

What vacuum bag tool do people use? Brand? Type? Tips on what to look for?

I used to use them back in my canoe tripping days. The seals were often questionable though. I'm guessing they are better now.
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ck with Bass Pro Shops, they have a 12 volt model that Ive used when hunting with friends who own one. It worked well mite be good for those who are low on 110 power! just a thought! we use a 110 model by Foodsaver, its plastic and stainless, 10 yrs old and works great sofar! I admit it takes up some room but the food stuffs last so much better then any other way Ive found so far Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
describe, pic or link? thanks
Ha, found the website: Buy Anylock Bag Sealers for complete Anylock Storage Solutions Beware, it's got a loud video on the right of the page.

It sounds like one of those things that look great at the boat show, but you get back home and never use them again. I was afraid of that, but have ended up using them every day. I also use them to keep spice bags closed (a few small bags on a bigger rod).

Quote:
What vacuum bag tool do people use? Brand? Type? Tips on what to look for?
I also use Foodsaver (4+ years and counting). I found the moist/dry food settings useful as well as instant seal for those cases where you want to stop vacuuming sooner. If ever this one dies, I'm getting the one where you can add bottle stoppers on the accessory hose for keeping oils and vinegars fresh - no more rancid oils!

Note that all Foodsavers will overheat after 25-30 minutes of continuous use (when you need to bag all those kilos of flour and grains). You just have to let them rest for another 30 min and you're good to go (it is in the instructions).

Another advantage of using vacuum sealer is that if you ever get weavils on board, you always know which packages are sealed and thus for sure have no crawlies in them.

Oh, and a hint on packaging the dry goods: if you know how much you normally use at a time, you can always fill bags in multiples of this number so you don't have to open another bag while you're cooking. For example, if you always use 3 cups of flour to make bread, you could put 6 or 9 cups in bags. And always put Packed On, BB dates as well as what is it you're packing. Otherwise it'll be hard to tell 3 years later whether it's a bread or a pastry flour.
Old 05-03-2012, 17:03   #24

Boat: Graham Radford 415

Here's a shelf in our v-berth where we keep our baking goods as well as some other things. The two larger containers at the end is where we keep our flour.

I'm sure the space could be better used for when we go offshore so it could all change before then, but for now it works great.

CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16   #25

Boat: prairie32 cutter

Thanks !
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54   #26

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

If you have refrigeration on board keep your flour & cornflour (cornstarch) in the fridge. I keep mine in the fridge here at home in Sydney Australia where the humidity is high and I never get any bugs in my flour & I can keep it for years without any problems.

There is no doubt that the eggs from the insects are already in the flour when purchased from the store because if I keep it just in my pantry even in airtight jars they hatch out in the flour in a matter of weeks but not if they are in the fridge where it is too cold for them.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
If you have refrigeration on board keep your flour & cornflour (cornstarch) in the fridge. I keep mine in the fridge here at home in Sydney Australia where the humidity is high and I never get any bugs in my flour & I can keep it for years without any problems.

There is no doubt that the eggs from the insects are already in the flour when purchased from the store because if I keep it just in my pantry even in airtight jars they hatch out in the flour in a matter of weeks but not if they are in the fridge where it is too cold for them.
I hear you can microwave the flour to kill the eggs. Haven't done it myself though.