Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 22:23   #16

Re: sous vide

Safely??? How is the sous vide unsafe? Help me to understand...
Papillongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 03:02   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillongirlie View Post
Love my pressure cooker, but I'm curious about the power draw required to bring it to pressure versus the slow draw of the sous vide.
Power draw? I'm not a fan of electric appliances on boats where not necessary. A conventional pressure cooker (PC) on the stove works wonderfully. Certainly you can use an electric pressure cooker supplied by a generator or big inverter (backed up with a big battery bank), but why? A conventional PC will come to pressure more quickly, is easier to clean, and heats on your propane stove. Simple. Elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillongirlie View Post
Safely??? How is the sous vide unsafe? Help me to understand...
Open, free surface water is a risk. The longer it exists (a long time for sous vide) the higher the probability of something slopping out when you fall off a wave. Gimbals help (I wouldn't do without them) but aren't perfect. Water or any liquid on the cabin sole is a slip and fall risk. Surely there is risk from cooking pasta for 12 minutes. An open water surface, clearly unattended, for hours is higher risk.

I wouldn't do it underway, which I recall was part of the question. At anchor or in a slip? Sure. Still some risk (wakes) but reasonable.

Sous vide water bath temperatures range between 134°F to 183°F. At higher temperatures there are burn risks. I don't think sous vide is well-advised underway, and certainly not on passage where medical assistance is far and long away.

Make your own choices. Mine are based on decades of cruising and deliveries.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 10:16   #18

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I'm currently doing sous vide with a rice cooker

And an external temperature controller

I plugged a meter into it, today

Cooked a ten ounce steak for 2&1/2 hours, it reported 0.19 kWHr.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 17:14   #19

Boat: Albin 25

Some of the comments are misguided. There are quite a few sites which show how to make sous vide cooker using an insulated cooler, complete with enclosed lid, and a hole in the top to insert the circulator. The result is a spill-proof cooker with very low energy use. Seems to me to be safer than a stovetop pressure cooker.

having said that, I have both at home, never yet used either aboard my small galley with an alcohol stove. My basic plan is t go with the pressure cooker, but I do not know if the alcohol stove will do the job, or do I have to use it on deck with the propane BBQ?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 19:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Some of the comments are misguided. There are quite a few sites which show how to make sous vide cooker using an insulated cooler, complete with enclosed lid, and a hole in the top to insert the circulator. The result is a spill-proof cooker with very low energy use. Seems to me to be safer than a stovetop pressure cooker.
Exactly, if the container can be made spill-proof and anchored into place, then it seems much safer than the open flame that is required to bring a pressure cooker to temperature.
Papillongirlie is offline   Reply With Quote