Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2017, 22:32   #166

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Rum

Another vote for Pusser's. Haven't tried their Gunpowder Proof, but the regular Pusser's is solid. Highly recommend.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 22:39   #167

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

I don’t drink it much anymore, but Sailor Jerry’s has my vote. (I moved on to scotch)
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:17   #168

Boat: Norseman 447cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Another vote for Pusser's. Haven't tried their Gunpowder Proof, but the regular Pusser's is solid. Highly recommend.
Pusser's is great on it's own or in a really well made pain killer. The overproof rums are really meant for mixing into cocktails. Back in the day it served the purpose of not being an issue if spilled on gun powder, it was high enough proof that the powder would burn even if soaked in the stuff. Though that really isn't too much of a problem on modern cruising boats.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 10:34   #169

Booze is literally my business so I get to try many different brands. For pure sipping here are my favorites in no particular order.
  • Foursquare 9 Year Old from Barbados, hard to find in the US but seriously good stuff
  • Rhum JM A great Rhum Agricole from Martinique, Not too hard to find and a great example of the agricole style rums found in the French islands
  • Kirk and Sweeny 12 Dominican Republic, Not in every store but good ones will have it and is what I drink somewhat regularly and it makes for a great Manhattan by substituting out the Rye or Bourbon
  • Ron Zacappa 21 From Guatemala. It is horribly expensive, hard to find, but mind blowing good
  • Appleton 12 A solid Jamaican rum, good straight but also excellent for cocktails, try a Negroni substituting the gin with this rum, Carpano Antica vermouth, and Contratto Bitter but Campari will work ok too

Plantation also makes a bunch of excellent rums from Trinidad and Puerto Rico that are good for cocktails and sipping on their own. I know some people say only use the cheap stuff when mixing but I am very much on the opposite end. A Truly excellent cocktail is the sum of its parts. If one ingredient is poor quality the drink will suffer. I'm not saying it need to be expensive, just good quality.
Old 17-02-2018, 11:42   #170

Boat: Hunter 37c

In the US. right now we're onto Cruz 151 $23 per bottle Cant get it back home but it would come in at $54 Canadian. Past favourites were Appletons but it started tasting like varnish 2 years ago, surfed the shelves for a while. Best rum I've ever had was a real flora de cania, complete with cane floating in it, from behind a bar in Costa Rica. Best rum cocktail was in Belize, was called rompoppa but you had to bring your own bottle because it came out of a wooden barrel behind the bar.
Great topic!!!
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 11:51   #171

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I know you said "straight" but here's a quick shortcut to a not-too-bad baba au rhum. Toast a toaster waffle. Drizzle with a shot or two of good rum. Drizzle with pancake syrup or simple syrup. Serves one.
Reminds me of our favourite pancake syrup, heat, almost to a boil, blueberries in Maple syrup, let simmer 5 minutes, stand until warm as hot syrup can burn badly you can add dark rum while simmering to eliminate the alcohol or add when cooled. Pour over pancakes smothered in butter. RUM its not just for breakfast anymore!!
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 16:57   #172

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

Kirk and Sweeney,it comes in 12yr,18yr and 23yr.
It's from Dominican Republic. Nice and smooth,
They are just a little different
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 17:33   #173

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

If you have rum...your well loved at the dock and at anchor.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 21:09   #174

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
Pusser's is great on it's own or in a really well made pain killer. The overproof rums are really meant for mixing into cocktails. Back in the day it served the purpose of not being an issue if spilled on gun powder, it was high enough proof that the powder would burn even if soaked in the stuff. Though that really isn't too much of a problem on modern cruising boats.
Maybe not on your vessel but I always had gunpowder aboard mine!
Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39   #175

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

For fear of creating a monster....

Find yourself a bottle of Nassau Royale Rum Liqueur.

Straight, on the rocks.

Sorry.
Old 20-06-2018, 21:44   #176

lady manager at my local spot has been out of Bacardi Ocho for the last 4 months so I inquired if they were going to restock and she tells me the distributor is completely out. I think she is completely full of it!

Anyone else not able to get Ocho?
J
CoralReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 05:36   #177

Where are you located? It is readily available from my distributor in NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer View Post
lady manager at my local spot has been out of Bacardi Ocho for the last 4 months so I inquired if they were going to restock and she tells me the distributor is completely out. I think she is completely full of it!

Anyone else not able to get Ocho?
J
Old 21-06-2018, 06:29   #178

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukeluthier View Post
Spiced rum serves only as a means to disguise bad rum.

Amen. Spiced rum is the low-fat pumpkin spiced skinny latte of the rum world. I think they are made specifically for American (USA) tastes.

I consider myself to be a professional when it comes to drinking rum (some might describe it as suicidal, but whatever). I refuse to spend more than $40 or so on a bottle of rum, ever, so I can't vouch for the ultra expensive stuff. Having said that, the absolute best rum I have ever had is El Dorado 12yo Demerara (Guyana). As much as I enjoy a cuba libre, even when using the best rum, I never mix this one with anything, not even ice. Pure nirvana.

Other than that, my favorites are Doorly's 12yo, Mount Gay XO, Santa Teresa 1796, and Ron de Barillito 3-star. My every day rum ($14 per bottle) is Santa Teresa Anejo, although all the Venezuelan stuff is getting harder and harder to find.

Damn, it's only 930am... 10 hours to go. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:16   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
I know some people say only use the cheap stuff when mixing but I am very much on the opposite end. A Truly excellent cocktail is the sum of its parts. If one ingredient is poor quality the drink will suffer. I'm not saying it need to be expensive, just good quality.
I agree 100%, and that really applies to all booze. We find good quality booze is smoother and oddly, we find we tend to get less hangovers with good quality booze.

We drink a lot of Bourbon. Many friends will claim a nice bourbon in a highball is a waste. I start mixing them drinks from my bar. All of a sudden, you can't find Jim Beam or Jack Daniels on their boat or bar any longer. LOL!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 08:44   #180

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I agree 100%, and that really applies to all booze. We find good quality booze is smoother and oddly, we find we tend to get less hangovers with good quality booze.

We drink a lot of Bourbon. Many friends will claim a nice bourbon in a highball is a waste. I start mixing them drinks from my bar. All of a sudden, you can't find Jim Beam or Jack Daniels on their boat or bar any longer. LOL!!
Just like engines...good quality clean fuel causes fewer problems! [emoji41]🥂
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum