Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 06:33   #16

Boat: CSY 33 Cutter
Re: Portable Freezer and Icebox Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttingDoctor View Post
Take a look at the EdgeStar line for dual voltage freezer / refrigerator for less. I'm leaning toward the 63 quart model mounted below my Nav desk. https://www.ebay.com/itm/121912091994

I just checked that out. It looks like a better deal and a better unit. I like the fact that the digital controls are side-mounted, and the fact that you can take it down to -8F. The Dometic unit will only go down to 0F.
Polar Opposite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:59   #17

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

if youre in so cal, theres a used one on CL in the boat section. i designed my galley around NatLunas model, but whynter and dometic will fit the space. nice to be able to take it ashore for repairs when needed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	refer.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	138317  
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 17:25   #18

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

When I first bought my Engle I thought I would just be using it as a refrigerator. But it ended up being so efficient I could use it as a freezer and I tried the water jug routine and it was just too much of a pain and it didn't really keep the food cold enough. So I've done several experiments and the current one is I bought a soft-sided cooler that would fit inside Click image for larger version

Name:	1483752293027.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	139120and cut it down so it fills up half of the fridge the bottom part is freezer the top part of refrigerator. It lifts out easily to get to the freezer storage underneath and actually makes access to everything easier.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:09   #19

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I bought a 63 quart ARB brand, the decision to buy came down to ARB or Engle. I went with the ARB because the maker builds for the off-road people and after reading reviews I got the impression they are a very well built unit designed for bouncing around in the back of a jeep in Australia. My plan is to use it in conjunction with the AC/DC fridge on the boat to be able to go longer between stops to re provision. Also I'll shut off the AC ice maker which I've used in the past as a freezer. I like the idea of the soft side cooler for refrigeration while using the ARB as a freezer, I will make a little ice in it for the evening scotch & water. After getting it on the boat the only negative is the amount of room it takes up, I think while cruising I'll keep it on the fly bridge.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer, icebox, men