Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 12:17   #16

Re: Non pressurized alcohol stoves besides Origo??

try Marine Outfittters in Canada. They seem to have them, at least the 2 burner version. If you are looking for the 6000, ask them about a supplier.
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:31   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I am another big fan of Origo stoves, and have installed one on every boat I've owned. I also keep a portable 1 burner at home for emergencies and camping, along with an origo heat pal.

For a while they were selling under the name COOK MATE in Canada. I was told it was the same stove, from the same factory, just different name for legal reasons. But I can't find them online on in stores anymore either. I sure hope Origo is not gone for good, because I, like many, really like their products.

I keep reading about origo stoves being slow. IMHO it's just an illusion because the origo stove is silent. Without a comforting hissing sound to let you know the stove is working, it actually seems like nothing is happening. Many times I've looked at the stove, wondering if I ran out of fuel or something, just to realize that my pot is at a full boil and I just did not even notice. And even if it is a little cooler than its competitors, its a small price to pay for simplicity, cheap/accessible fuel, easy install, long lasting stove. Not to mention that in full stainless steel its a beautiful piece of equipment to display on my, or any, boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beluga 142.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	199729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beluga 146.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	199730  

Name:	Compromise 042.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	199731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 074.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	199732  

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	199733   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2033.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	199734  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollard View Post
try Marine Outfittters in Canada. They seem to have them, at least the 2 burner version. If you are looking for the 6000, ask them about a supplier.
According to their web page, they have all of them in stock. I'm local to them if you need assistance...happy to help.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:57   #19

Boat: Hunter 46

Consider a low cost electric stove when connected to shore power or generator. We have an electric pressure cooker, george foreman grill and a water kettle, which minimizes the use of our LPG stove.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 14:18   #20

Boat: Grampian 26

I'd buy a used one.

BTW: Mine boils a litre of water in just under 5 minutes. I don't think my electric kettle can beat that.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 15:09   #21

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychsurf View Post
Our new-to-us Gulfstar Hirsch 45 is coming to us with the original Galley Maid pressurized alcohol stove. To be fair, I haven't tried to mess with it at all, but between the age of the unit and the terrible reputation of pressurized alcohol stoves, I wasn't even considering keeping it. My plan was to swap in a new Origo 6000 non pressurized alcohol stove, but I've just learned that they've discontinued the whole brand. So now my options are to do a complete refit for propane (I'd rather have propane, but I don't really want to hassle/spend for it), find a used Origo somewhere (I'm not seeing any for sale), or find another non-pressurized alcohol stove alternative (I'm not finding ANY commercially available alternatives.)

Was Origo really the ONLY option for non pressurized stoves with ovens? Am I doomed to figure out a propane system?
Kerosene. 2 burner Taylor cooktop, (have to be used but they are around)
maybe find one with the better German burners. A popular upgrade.
Alcohol needed to prime the burners, true. Or, keep a soldering torch or something like it in the galley and no priming needed! Leave the kettle on it with the flame low, and it'll heat the cabin a bit. Cozy. Of course if you're in Florida, etc., the heat is a bit of an issue. But with a bit of practice, they are excellent and pretty safe. We keep a extinguisher nearby AND a fire blanket.
Plus a spare fire blanket...
Good hunting.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 15:30   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Look at pressurized kerosene stoves. My main issue is safety, gas explosions are devastating, a kerosene fire can be put out with a blanket or extinguisher. Fuel consumption is very low (I use about 1gal/month for 2). They light quickly and easily if you use a gas torch to reheat. Power output is 1.5 to 2x any propane stove. Available as twin burner plus small or large oven. Even with the small oven I have successfully done a roast diner and cooked bread. Only issue is the cost, they are pretty expensive new and hard to find used. They do however last pretty much for ever, certainly seen examples over 25yr old. Search google for Taylor stove
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 16:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Consider a low cost electric stove when connected to shore power or generator. We have an electric pressure cooker, george foreman grill and a water kettle, which minimizes the use of our LPG stove.
IMHO, part of being on a sailboat is cooking like I'm on a sailboat. I'm not trying to emulate cooking at home. And being usually at the smaller end of sailboats, no space for all those appliances. And the places I like to go don't have shorepower.

As you likely already know, food tastes better on the boat. On a long passage I've eaten stuff (and enjoyed it) that I would not hesitate to throw in the trash at home. After a long day of sailing, safely anchored, and dead tired, I've often made what I call "island stew" which is basically whatever I can quickly mix in one pot and heat on my origo stove. Island stew is the best.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Main Duck 819.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	199757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	199758  

Name:	Compromise 006.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	199759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 007.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	199760  

Name:	Compromise 009.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	199761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 067.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	199762  

Old 13-09-2019, 01:31   #24

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

You have a nice big cruising boat. IMHO Any temporary or minimalist installation is not optimum in the long run either for your use or resale value.

I found online a new Origo stove
www.jacksonsleisure.com
with oven seems to cost about same as propane gear.

But if your boat already has a vented locker sealed from hull interior, propane makes a lot of sense.

Propane has many advantages. Important are fuel availability and consumption rate. We have two very small propane tanks and each lasts about 6 weeks with us cooking onboard full time. Easy to refill almost anywhere in world.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 03:19   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I cruised for a long time with an Origo. It was great for what it was, but refilling the canisters in a seaway was a challenge (same with the kerosene lamps!), and finding denatured alcohol was sometimes difficult. It is banned in some places because of issues of drinking.
I found it difficult to simmer, since when turned down the flame was all at one side. Still, if I were to cruise a small boat again, I might consider one. I've had as many adventures trying to find propane in some places as alcohol, and trying to deal with all the hassles of non-standard propane tanks in other countries is a headache.
For my money though, propane is still better, faster, easier and cheaper (just thinking BTUs per dollar. You have to take evaporation into account as well--alcohol will evaporate even out of a closed burner, propane won't), but alcohol is not a bad solution.
Old 16-09-2019, 13:27   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I had a Kenyon pressurised alcohol stove that actually worked decently, but I replace it with an Origo two burner that I absolutely loved. I strapped a small microwave beneath it that fit perfectly, and that made it balance on the gimbals even better. It was flawless, and I live aboard. By the way, I actually timed it boiling water and it was almost as fast as propane. It was a lot more trouble free than the Force 10 on my current boat, which is a pretty good stove, too. However, I would take an Origo in a hearbeat. I never had that much trouble getting alcohol for it, but maybe times have changed that for the worse. I may have gotten the fuel at a hardware store...don't really remember. If that problem can be solved, I think about finding an Origo.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:45   #27

Boat: Pearson 323

I have experience with both pressurized and non-pressurized alcohol stoves. My last boat was a non, and this one came with a three burner stove/oven. After initially reading the reviews and all the reported fear, I figured I burn up at the first lighting. But when I read the reviews in greater detail, not a single one of them could state an actual incident. Everything was just rehashing what was said before. Flare ups happened to some trying them out for the first time, it scared them and from that point on for them pressurized stoves were a death trap.

So I decided to give my pressurized stove a go for a 3 month trip to the Caribbean, I got to tell you I love it. It will flare-up if you screw up the preheat, but a pan of water set on top burner solves that. I flared up the first time I tried it before leaving, one I got the timing and characteristics down it never happened again. On my trip I lit the stove twice a day for 90 days + another 4 weeks traversing from NC to FL and back.

The pressurized one heats up faster too.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:51   #28

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Stove alcohol is easy to find. Buy it in the paint section at the hard ware store. Pretty much any where that sells paint sells some kind of alcohol.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 07:05   #29

Although we don't need to buy a new stove (our 2-burner Origo has been with us for 24 years and hopefully forever) I am very sad to hear these are no longer being made. Very happy with its reliability and no issue with heat output. With regard to the heat output Practical Sailor did some tests a while back that showed the differences between the Origo and its propane fueled peers to be minimal. We also have a Origo Heat Pal for occasional use in the winter for, well, heat.
To fill the canisters I have an aluminum soda can with the top cut off and a small hole punched in the bottom. I place a canister in the galley sink with the soda can sitting over the open part of the canister and fill up the soda can with alcohol, letting it slowly drain out the bottom. The canisters hold a surprising amount of fuel. To determine if the canisters are full I tip them 90° to one side and when fuel just dribbles out I consider them to be full. Performing this entire operation in the sink keeps everything safe and clean.
thedoublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 07:53   #30

Thanks for the input, everyone! At the end of the day I think price is going to be the deciding factor... it's looking like even if I did find the Origo in CA or UK shipping will end up making it kind of ridiculous. Don't really want to hassle with a propane install, but there's a LOT more options out there, including used stoves for just a few hundred bucks sometimes, so I'm probably going to go with that.
Psychsurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo, stove