Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 15:06   #16

Boat: Lots of boats.
Re: New 5000 series Foodsaver

Here is the latest vacuum version of the two 30 year old Seal-a-Meals I still use today. They still work great. The new "fancy" vacuum version is $35.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seal-a-Me...ealer/26906136
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:58   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
Here is the latest vacuum version of the two 30 year old Seal-a-Meals I still use today. They still work great. The new "fancy" vacuum version is $35.
Thank you for that. As I posted earlier, the older Food Saver should be priced around $30 based on the cheap innards, so I shouldn't be surprised that one is available for $35. Putting an extra C-note into one makes no sense.

Heading to Walmart...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:53   #18

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Jdege, thank you for the link to the Waring unit and the alternative bag supplier. Apparently the reuseable bags with built-in valve, are available in more sizes and at very good prices. I watched the Waring video and am pleased with it, though I suspect the prices are similar or higher for the hardware, as they are commercial quality sous vide units. I have been playing with the Foodsaver unit and I'm pretty excited about the potential of these vacuum sealers for cruising provisioning and spares packing.

I've learned some tricks. Freezing things before vacuum sealing eliminates the chance for weevils and other yucky denizens to gain a foothold. Partial vacuum packaging can reduce breakage of fragile items, and double-bagging, with the inside package partial vacuum sealed and the outer bag inflated as a pillow makes for extra protection for fragile stuff.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:23   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
.... I've learned some tricks. Freezing things before vacuum sealing eliminates the chance for weevils and other yucky denizens to gain a foothold. Partial vacuum packaging can reduce breakage of fragile items, and double-bagging, with the inside package partial vacuum sealed and the outer bag inflated as a pillow makes for extra protection for fragile stuff.
Only one dispute: "Eliminates" is too optimistic. "Greatly reduces" would be more accurate. Some of these critters and their reproduction cycles allow for freezing as an element of survival. Sometimes microwaving, if available, before freezing, helps, but simple freezing is still an improvement.
Old 25-02-2017, 14:31   #20

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thank you. My exuberance often colors my world view.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:19   #21

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

I recently purchased a commercial grade vacuum sealer and found a reasonable deal on rolled bag material on Amazon. Packages of 2 @ 50' rolls for $18. If you purchase a 2 pack of 8" and a 2 pack of 11", you get free shipping as you are just over their $35 shipping limit. Has worked for me and they work very well. George

PS As I mentioned on another thread, I use my vacuum sealer to seal small parts going into my SPARES KIT and they are just like new when I need them! Remember that you can cut the bag roll material along the long axis to make narrow bags!
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 21:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Only one dispute: "Eliminates" is too optimistic. "Greatly reduces" would be more accurate. Some of these critters and their reproduction cycles allow for freezing as an element of survival. Sometimes microwaving, if available, before freezing, helps, but simple freezing is still an improvement.
Put a bay leaf or two inside before sealing; that is supposed to help.

Greg
Old 26-02-2017, 04:28   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Greg
Haven't tried either method but I have also heard to put a small piece of dry ice in the bag and let it sublimate to displace all the air leaving no oxygen for any critters.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:31   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Greg
Bay leaves don't work - ask me how I know!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 14:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Bay leaves don't work - ask me how I know!!!
According to Wikipedia:

"Bay leaves can also be used scattered in a pantry to repel meal moths,[6] flies,[citation needed] cockroaches, mice,[citation needed] and silverfish.[citation needed]
Bay leaves have been used in entomology as the active ingredient in killing jars. The crushed, fresh, young leaves are put into the jar under a layer of paper. The vapors they release kill insects slowly but effectively, and keep the specimens relaxed and easy to mount. The leaves discourage the growth of molds. They are not effective for killing large beetles and similar specimens, but insects that have been killed in a cyanide killing jar can be transferred to a laurel jar to await mounting.[7] It is not clear to what extent the effect is due to cyanide released by the crushed leaves, and to what extent other volatile products are responsible."

Note that they call for "crushed, fresh, young leaves"; old dry leaves may not offer much protection.

Greg

Tags
food