Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 25-10-2015, 01:51   #1126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Beef casserole (shhh! it's a vegan thread) in the slow cooker this evening with dumplings.

Dumpling recipe straight out of our ancient copy of the Edmonds Cookery Book* without the onion and with the addition of a good dose of nutritional yeast.

It changed the texture to a slightly more cake like consistency rather than the usual stodgy dumpling texture. Both the texture and the hint of cheesiness worked well.

I'm really liking this stuff!

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonds_Cookery_Book
There Stu
I fixed it for you.

Beef casserole

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 02:45   #1127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

You are SUCH a stirrer Weav!

Dumplings are yum. The mix is very similar to the one for scones, so I am guessing nutritional yeast in scones or muffins would be good too.

Herb & parmesan muffins are particularly good with soup. Nutritional yeast may turn out to be a boat staple . Can't wait to try it.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 03:16   #1128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dumpling recipe straight out of our ancient copy of the Edmonds Cookery Book* without the onion and with the addition of a good dose of nutritional yeast.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonds_Cookery_Book
It sounds like this is a good source of old fashioned Kiwi-adapted British favourites. This type of cooking is no longer the norm in Australia and it is even starting to become a novelty.

I started playing in the kitchen as a youngster with an old copy of mum's Country Women's Association Cookbook, then a 1970's Australian Women's Weekly Cookbook. Both became splattered and tatty with the amount they were used as reference guides . We had a woodfired Aga in a holiday home when I was growing up and wet wintery days were often spent baking. Great memories .

SWL

Old 25-10-2015, 04:16   #1129

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Way off topic, but I found this pdf of the 1914 edition of Edmonds' Cookbook:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/facsimile/EdmCook.pdf

Nostalgic recipes at their best! I think we carried on baking this way in Australia all through last century when war (and post war) shortages made it impossible in the UK.

The recipes (and format and even type face) are near identical to the pamphlet style CWA cookbook mum had. That was probably put together by a local branch, as it was put out way before the first official cookbook was printed. Arriving in country Australia in the late 1940's, farmers' wives took mum under their wing and Aussie staples were taught, aided by this recipe collection. Not for vegans or anyone on a low saturated fat diet though - copious amounts of butter and eggs featured heavily. Not a chickpea in sight .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	111565  

Old 25-10-2015, 04:46   #1130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Way off topic, but I found this pdf of the 1914 edition of Edmonds' Cookbook:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/facsimile/EdmCook.pdf

Nostalgic recipes at their best! I think we carried on baking this way in Australia all through last century when war (and post war) shortages made it impossible in the UK.

The recipes (and format and even type face) are near identical to the pamphlet style CWA cookbook mum had. That was probably put together by a local branch, as it was put out way before the first official cookbook was printed. Arriving in country Australia in the late 1940's, farmers' wives took mum under their wing and Aussie staples were taught, aided by this recipe collection. Not for vegans or anyone on a low saturated fat diet though - copious amounts of butter and eggs featured heavily. Not a chickpea in sight .
One of the problems I have with modern thinking on diet, is that the majority of foods eaten in the 40s-70s were high butter and fat. You did not have the obesity issues that exist today.

I therefore put my hat in the ring and state that overeating, artificial sweetners and GMOs have more to do with it than the aforementioned.

can I have my hat back when y'awl have finished admiring it?
Old 25-10-2015, 05:18   #1131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatstomp.png
Views:	210
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	111569  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 05:50   #1132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure:
you see the force field protecting it?
Old 25-10-2015, 08:13   #1133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
One of the problems I have with modern thinking on diet, is that the majority of foods eaten in the 40s-70s were high butter and fat. You did not have the obesity issues that exist today.

I therefore put my hat in the ring and state that overeating, artificial sweetners and GMOs have more to do with it than the aforementioned.

Weav,
That's a glove not a hat I see you have thrown, along with a few wild statements .
I'll bite .

1. Obesity occurs purely as a result of more calories consumed than energy expended, not because of what you eat.

2. Lack of obesity does not equate with good nutrition or longevity.

3. Small quantities of many nutrients that are not just beneficial, but essential, may be toxic in high quantities.

With all the medical advancements we have made, very strangely the "ideal" diet is fiercely debated. We do need a wide variety of nutrients to function well though (I don't think anyone denies that) and pill popping is not regarded by many as a good alternative if our diets are lacking.

There are no "complete" foods. The only way to consume all the goodies our bodies need from food is to eat a LOT of different food. If the calories taken in are balanced by calories used, that automatically means nothing other than very low calorie food can be consumed in excess.

Religious and personal beliefs and ethics will affect your diet. The above still applies pretty universally though, regardless of what type of food you choose to eliminate from your diet.

Couple small quantities of lots of different food with moderation and variety in other aspects of your life - exercise, stress, obsessions and I personally think that is about the best TLC you can give your body.

YMMV. No need to spill blood over this issue, so many seem to do .

SWL

PS Any more good vegan recipes you are willing and able to share to get this thread back on topic? See if you can beat your current personal best: Gazpacho .

Old 25-10-2015, 08:45   #1134
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Weav,
That's a glove not a hat I see you have thrown, along with a few wild statements .
I'll bite .

1. Obesity occurs purely as a result of more calories consumed than energy expended, not because of what you eat.

2. Lack of obesity does not equate with good nutrition or longevity.

3. Small quantities of many nutrients that are not just beneficial, but essential, may be toxic in high quantities.

With all the medical advancements we have made, very strangely the "ideal" diet is fiercely debated. We do need a wide variety of nutrients to function well though (I don't think anyone denies that) and pill popping is not regarded by many as a good alternative if our diets are lacking.

There are no "complete" foods. The only way to consume all the goodies our bodies need from food is to eat a LOT of different food. If the calories taken in are balanced by calories used, that automatically means nothing other than very low calorie food can be consumed in excess.

Religious and personal beliefs and ethics will affect your diet. The above still applies pretty universally though, regardless of what type of food you choose to eliminate from your diet.

Couple small quantities of lots of different food with moderation and variety in other aspects of your life - exercise, stress, obsessions and I personally think that is about the best TLC you can give your body.

YMMV. No need to spill blood over this issue, so many seem to do .

SWL

PS Any more good vegan recipes you are willing and able to share to get this thread back on topic? See if you can beat your current personal best: Gazpacho .
You just echoed what I said: if you do research on GMOs and T cell receptors, then we can have a discussion......

My current personal best?!! its is the BEST thread recipe... Hmph!!
Old 25-10-2015, 09:21   #1135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You just echoed what I said: if you do research on GMOs and T cell receptors, then we can have a discussion......

My current personal best?!! its is the BEST thread recipe... Hmph!!
GMOs responsible for obesity? Tin foil hat territory IMO .

SWL

PS The best? I am fickle. Loyal to nothing consumed. "Best" varies from day to day, in fact moment to moment .

Old 26-10-2015, 14:54   #1136

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Sometimes thread drifts are a good thing. A fact is Americans consume on average more than 160 pounds of refined sugar a year, compared to four pounds in the 17 hundreds. This is extremely high calorie intake with basically no nutrition. I'm not on this thread because I love vegetables, I'm here to improve my nutrition by making it taste good. But I would like to recommend NutritionFacts. Org YouTube videos to help meat eaters and cheese lovers like me see the light
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 00:13   #1137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Sometimes thread drifts are a good thing. A fact is Americans consume on average more than 160 pounds of refined sugar a year, compared to four pounds in the 17 hundreds. This is extremely high calorie intake with basically no nutrition. I'm not on this thread because I love vegetables, I'm here to improve my nutrition by making it taste good. But I would like to recommend NutritionFacts. Org YouTube videos to help meat eaters and cheese lovers like me see the light
Sparrow, I think the detrimental effect of refined white sugar consumption is the only thing just about EVERYONE spouting their view on "optimal" eating plans agrees with, isn't it? It is nice to find common ground exists . Probably the only debate is whether or not other sweeteners like honey and syrups are much better than refined sugar.

Every time I read an article on sugar, it totally turns me off reaching for the white sugar canister for longer and longer stretches. Just the thought alone of accelerating the ageing process is enough to make me cringe (for those unaware, sugar both suppresses our production of growth hormones and promotes glycation and the resulting toxic end products wreak havoc - it truly packs a double whammy).

I don't want to dwell on all the other horrors (if anyone is interested, search online) or I won't be dolloping any of my luscious apricot jam on my toast this morning .

On the flip side, one thing to consider is that our systems tend to deal with small quantities of things very differently to when overloaded with large doses. For this reason I don't fuss about small amounts of less optimal food I consume.

I also don't think it is mentally healthy to plaster red crosses and skulls on a vast number of foods, and either be constantly fighting to avoid them or feel guilty after consuming them. Small quantities of "treats" are good for the soul .

SWL

Old 27-10-2015, 00:58   #1138
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
GMOs responsible for obesity? Tin foil hat territory IMO .

SWL

PS The best? I am fickle. Loyal to nothing consumed. "Best" varies from day to day, in fact moment to moment .
The first thing is to establish a protocol for testing.
Postulate a theory, ie GMOs, Pesticides, Hormones, etc
and test it via a set of data including dates and changes.

The second thing to recognise is that there are vested interests in food. Remember when governments around the world stated butter was bad for you and introduced margarine?

Without even running a test, I can tell you that adding hormones and additives and modifying food growth is not a good thing to do. Even the weedkillers used in agriculture is not conducive to good health.

The bottom line is that interference in the food chain and cycles via the above is endemic and has been rife starting in the 1960s.

I grow my own vegggies and I buy meat and potatoes from local greenies. I get my shellfish from a local offshore guy and I know where he goes.

Dont think that ANYTHING that you take into your body is free of pollutants or additives. It just LESS affected because its been home grown. GMO grains and other stuff is wind blown all over the world and slowly is getting into everything. Hormones are being put into feed WITHOUT legally being required to inform the customer in some countries.

So when you sit down to your 'healthy' home grown food, its is better, MUCH better, but not free of what you hope it is.

And all of this is because the governments make trillions out of Du Pont and Monsanto. Look at that story of Aspertame to see how it works.

And you wonder why we have an obesity issue.

Treat this as as a statement. You can hold to your own theories and minutae. I always look at environment and what has changed in that area when seeing an increase in a certain aspect of the population.

Eating too much makes you fat. However, if your source is geared to shutting down receptors in the body and store fat........ then the body has no chance to fix the problem.

I still say that my Gazpacho recipe is the best recipe bar none of all time.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:13   #1139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Vegetarian Paella!!

Came across this......... I like it!

Serves 8

In Spain, special noodles are used to make this paella-like party dish, but angel hair pasta fragments work too. Break pasta strands 30 or so at a time to keep them from scattering. Broiling the dish is key to getting its crunchy texture. Serve with Quick Aïoli.
2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
8 oz. angel hair pasta, broken into 2-inch lengths (2 cups)
1 medium onion, chopped (1 ½ cups)
2 cups sliced wild mushroom mix (such as fresh shiitake, cremini, and oyster mushrooms)
½ 8-oz. pkg. soy chorizo (1 sausage), halved and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices, optional
1 small red bell pepper, cut into chunks
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
½ tsp. smoked paprika
1 8-oz. can sodium-free tomato sauce
2 cups mushroom broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
8 oz. fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in wok, paella pan, or large skillet over medium heat. Add pasta, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned and opaque, stirring constantly. Transfer pasta to paper-towel-lined plate to drain.

2. Add remaining 1 Tbs. oil to pan, and heat over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft. Stir in mushrooms, soy chorizo (if using), bell pepper, 2 Tbs. parsley, garlic, and smoked paprika, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated.

3. Stir in tomato sauce. Add pasta, broth, and 1/2 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add asparagus, and cover; simmer 3 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to broil. If using wok or skillet, transfer pasta mixture to 10-inch or larger round cake pan. Place paella pan or cake pan under broiler, and broil 3 to 4 minutes, or just until pasta is crisp on top. (Watch carefully—it burns quickly.) Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs. parsley.
Old 28-10-2015, 20:00   #1140

The Paella looks delicious! Great recipe!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote