Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 22:32   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Laundry Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Fits the rule- no single use item
That's why--ahem--so many of us use a plumber's aid, an item with four distinct functions:
1. a good handhold when cleaning the hull
2. a good agitator when cleaning the clothes
3. a good way to unclog a shower scupper when the sump backs up
4. a good mute for a trombone.
Old 05-10-2011, 13:28   #32
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

It's OK to wash in salt water, and liquid detergents do well. HOWEVER it's important to rinse in fresh water. Wash, wring, rinse in fresh water, wring, rinse again in fresh water with a little Downy, wring and hoist up the mast to dry. Buy an inflatable baby swimming pool, which can be blown up by mouth if necessary. Clean clothes by working them with a toilet plunger. Wash "tub" stows in less space than a dictionary. Treated well it lasts a season or two. Get a new one in the fall when they are on sale for a buck or two.
Old 05-10-2011, 13:41   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I’ve never done a scientifically valid study; but I intuit that the fresh water required to adequately rinse a salt-water wash, might exceed that required to wash & rinse entirely in fresh water.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:38   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

From practical experience I can say unequivocally that washing in salt water does indeed use more fresh water to get the salt out than any other way of washing.

The best I have found is to wash in fresh water with ammonia with no detergent. You don't have to rinse and the ammonia evaporates during drying. Wonderful.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:43   #35

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
There I was thinking a laundry ball had to be hoisted to indicate you were washing clothes.

Yeah... I can see this working for me... balls up would be a good indicator of my laundry efforts

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:44   #36
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Gotta say... reading stuff like this... I don't want in mast furlers or air conditioning or dishwashers and trash compactors or other complicated systems. But I do know that if and when the day comes that I embark on a full time cruising life style, there WILL be a water maker aboard.

Of all the things that would bother me, not being able to rinse my clothes OR my own hide and hair in fresh water would leave me one cranky girl.

and it's NOT pretty when I am cranky!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 15:42   #37

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you have a sturdy 5 gal bucket and lid, put clothes, detergent and water in that, seal the lid and trail it astern letting the wind chop at anchor bounce it around. Then rinse/wring it out and let it dry! Works pretty good. We most often found it more fun to take the laundry to town and let someone do it for us though... everything's an adventure! Sometimes it comes back perfect and folded and sometimes it comes back with rust stains!
I'm with you Cheechako! I like taking it to town for the adventure. That's when you meet the best people. We ALL have to do our laundry.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:13   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Laura, I've got a better deal for you. Just send me $19.95, and hang your dirty laundry on the lifelines overnight. I will psychically clean them, freshen them, and deodorize them for you without using any soap OR water!

And if you act now, for another $9.95, I'd also resew any loose buttons and seams at the same time. But you've got to act now, this offer is limited to the first hundred callers.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 17:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
What, no love for this gadget?

Saw one in a thrift store in Oregon. The handle and axle were broken. I didn't think it was worth the money or time to repair!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 19:07   #40

Boat: Dolphin 460

I use that wonderwash for laundry - works okay as long as you don't overload and more effective with hot water to create pressure. The bucket and plunger probably works just as well when clothes are left to sit for some time.

The key to onboard laundry is wringing! I got this spin dryer (think salad spinner) and it gets rid of dirty water and rinse water in about one minute each run. Final drying on the lines is very fast. The result should be equivalent to a manual wringer.

Both of these take space, but are so worth it for us where there are no laundry facilities.
Old 05-10-2011, 19:57   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

When it rains in the Caribbean folks do the "dinghy stomp." When the rain water gets a few inches deep in the dinghy you throw in your clothes with some soap and "stomp" around on them until clean. Then ring them out and empty the dinghy and wait for the rain to fill it again for the "rinse cycle."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 23:00   #42

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

FYI.....

Years ago, when I had to take a cleaning class as the manager of a building maintenance company, we were given a code word a bit like the fire triangle. It was TACT. By the use of any three of the letters would be a formula for cleaning, and all 4 were best.

But the "C" is a must. Chemical is a vehicle that separates negative from the positive ions and carries it away from the materials.
And ammonia breaks down the surface tension of water allowing it to penetrate deeper into fabrics.

Temperature
Agitation
Chemical
Time

And by increasing any of the four would compensate for the lack of the others, within reason, of course.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45   #43

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
No love for that at all. Had one briefly, went in the trash. Too big to stow anywhere, too small to do any laundry.
Totally agree with Hannah on 'Rita T'. A friend tried to give me one but it wouldn't fit through the hatch! Needless to say it stayed aboard his boat....Maybe he was trying to tell me something...
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laundry