Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2010, 16:21   #1

Junk Food

How many of you pack junk food when you're provisioning? How do you decide how much - and how do you keep it all from disappearing the first 2 days?
Hubby has declared Pop-Tarts and Pringles to be the perfect cruising food ("The foil keeps them dry!") and has actually gone on (need I say all-male) trips where that was in fact the primary diet.
I have therefore told him that his input will no longer be required for provisioning decisions.
But I'm not averse to some junk food, just to living on it exclusively. So what say you - leave it behind, pack some and it's gone when it's gone, or pack some and become a cookie-nazi as you carefully ration out the supply?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 19:38   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm pop tarts.............Actually my choice of food to nibble on while manning the wheel is pilot bread (hardtack) if I haven't time to go below to fix something. They go good with sardines and coffee. Some old fashioned lemon drops are also good, but as for normal junk food, I don't generally carry any on board (got to watch my figure).
Old 19-06-2010, 19:47   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Popcorn, lots of it. Gotta have Cumin, salt, Parmesan cheese, crushed Red Peppers, or other TexMex type seasoning.

I replaced the stove on our boat with a propane system just so I could make good popcorn.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 20:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
No junk food but comfort food. Japanese noodles, miso, chile sauce and sesame oil. Takes 3 minutes once the water boils. Batter fried seafood stuff ... dip in flour mix (flour, chile powder, salt and pepper), egg wash, flour mix and fry. Potato grated, mixed with egg, flour, salt and pepper and fried. My kind of junk food. Chips and salse are pretty good.

Popcorn is pretty damn good but I haven't put that one together yet. Flake yeast would add to the TexMex nicely. Good thing I just ate ...

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 20:39   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Cookies, candy and Top Raman for me

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:09   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The only junk food we carry is cocoa powder. Nic can eat as much junk food as long as she makes it into cakes, deserts, cookies etc.

That way we are healthier and we really enjoy the treats so much more because THEY TASTE GREAT!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 00:15   #7

I actually love noodle/Ramen as a quick and easy fix.. But for snacking, I usually go for tupperware cartons of nuts (almonds, cashews, etc..). Easy to transport as well as healthy and filling!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 01:25   #8

I'm with Hummingway - no junk food at all. Better to take tasty food instead. @Shadow - I've never been that fond of nuts. I will eat them, but I get fed up with too many at once which is a shame because they do keep well.

I guess I'm lucky. I do not like most junk food. Things like pop-tarts and pringles I find revolting, popcorn tastes like cardboard and USA stuff seems to be even worse. Oreos (sp?) started marketing their biscuit over here a year or two ago and the kids got some so I tried one. It was utterly revolting and even the kids have never bought them again. Someone else I know brought Hershey bars back from the US and it is the only chocolate bar I have ever tried that tasted like puke - how the heck does ANYONE eat them?

Nope, comfort food - chili noodles, BLT on brown granary bread or "hot dog" sausage and onions in wholemeal roll, tortilla with various fillings. And this Reggae Reggae Sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I don't know if it is available outside the UK, but some bottles of this sauce and it goes with just about any beef, pork or chicken dish, but I haven't tried it with fish yet.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 01:41   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Hershey bars back from the US and it is the only chocolate bar I have ever tried that tasted like puke - how the heck does ANYONE eat them?
There is only one way to eat a Hershey Bar and thats as a SloMo (??) <--- need an American to help me out on this... Its called something anyway...
You get Grahams Crackers and put hershey bar in between with ...something else... marshmellow? And then heat in a microwave.

The whole thing is sweet, stickey, gooy and, well, great I think its the cultural reason why Americans have ....ok how do I say this .... Asses built for comfort...........

Old 20-06-2010, 04:23   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm. Our crew seems to have an obsession with bringing fruit and nuts along for snacks. I got around this by implementing a rule (the only one) on our boat

Upon boarding, crew must present the Chief Cook with a fair supply of Galaxy chocolate.

This may be any chocolate produced using Galaxy chocolate, which can include: Galaxy plain, Galaxy Fruit and Nut, Galaxy Flutes, Galaxy Crispies, Galaxy Caramels (these not encouraged), Galaxy Jewels, Mars Bars, Snickers, Milky Ways. Bounty Bars may come aboard if necessary (ie, in a multi-pack), but the bringer has to eat them.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 04:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
..... I think its the cultural reason why Americans have ....ok how do I say this .... Asses built for comfort...........
Ha! If you think the Yanks have problems, I suggest you avoid Glasgow in your travels

Deep-fried Mars Bar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, thanks to the kids and the Father's day present from my youngest, I have finally figured out how you are funding your cruising lifestyle. Note who makes my boat.

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 05:30   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Also, thanks to the kids and the Father's day present from my youngest, I have finally figured out how you are funding your cruising lifestyle. Note who makes my boat.
You found us out! Nic started making them with chocolate sails.... But none ever got finished

Old 20-06-2010, 05:50   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There is only one way to eat a Hershey Bar and thats as a SloMo (??) <--- need an American to help me out on this... Its called something anyway...
You get Grahams Crackers and put hershey bar in between with ...something else... marshmellow? And then heat in a microwave.

The whole thing is sweet, stickey, gooy and, well, great I think its the cultural reason why Americans have ....ok how do I say this .... Asses built for comfort...........
Smores. A camping favourite - roast the marshmallow and slap between the choc and graham crackers. Too sweet for me - American tastes tend to be sweeter generally imo.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 06:54   #14

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
We aren't real big on chips except for day sails - too fragile. We use very thinly sliced bread toasted for salsa.

We carry chocolate and cookies for treats and such at anchor. On passage there is a snack bag that includes various sorts of dried fruit, apples, oranges, snack bags of M&M Peanuts, Wheat Thins, individual portions of apple sauce, and such. There is a ditty bag in the fridge with cheese (already cut up) and hard-boiled eggs. When we can get grapes they are in a basket on the galley counter.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 07:10   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
S’mores always leave everyone wanting "some more."

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote