Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 22:30   #31

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Inexpensive Ice Maker ?

I bought an igloo ice maker on ebay a couple months ago for $95.00 and free shipping. It has already paid for it's self vs bagged ice for drinks. I love it. My freezer can only use vertical ice trays and they were $57.00 each and then I wouldn't have any room in the freezer anymore.
It sucks up too much juice from my batteries/solar so we make ice at the dock, when motoring, or we can run a generator. I can freeze a ziploc full of ice and it's good enough for a couple of days.
Ice in drinks is very important to me. I'm not afraid to say it. There's nothing else like an icy drink on a hot day. I barely care about alcohol but I really need an ice cold coke in the afternoon sometimes or a great big glass of iced tea. YES!
If I wanted to be camping, I'd be camping. I'm not.

We keep it under the sink in the cabinet.
Old 28-12-2011, 00:49   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I have a bunch of ice cube tray boxes with sealable Tuperware style covers and an opening flap to fill them with water.

Once filled, the water does not spill out and they are stackable so I can line the emptying freezers.
Remove the top dump out the ice cubes and refill. Very Simple.

I also have a high end Isotherm stainless steel proper Icemaker on board, but I never use it except for big parties
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 03:34   #33

Boat: Gib sea 43

can i ask what type/size of inverters people are using to run their ice makers, i have one but am struggling to get it to run on an inverter, have tried 3 so far a 300w /500w pure sine waves and a 2500w modified sine wave, the smaller ones die when the compressors tries to start, the modified sine wave sometimes starts the compressor but it normally stalls part way through the cycle, it works fine on shore power
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf
can i ask what type/size of inverters people are using to run their ice makers, i have one but am struggling to get it to run on an inverter, have tried 3 so far a 300w /500w pure sine waves and a 2500w modified sine wave, the smaller ones die when the compressors tries to start, the modified sine wave sometimes starts the compressor but it normally stalls part way through the cycle, it works fine on shore power
Do you have a Magnum inverter? We looked at that but it didn't take the hit of starting for us as it only takes a millisecond surge. The Xantrex 2500 should run the machine..can't understand why it stalls AFTER the hit.I know many appliances run better on pure sine so looks like you may need to go higher. We have a big inverter (3000 pure sine) since our fridge is 110 (not our choice~came with boat). Our icemaker is an Emerson (Target $129) that doesn't take much in amps but it doesn't have it's own freezer. Good luck on finding the right combo.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:06   #35

Boat: Westsail 42 Varua Ti'ama

Update: we have been using our Newair icemaker for several months now, and are very happy with it. Got is on Air-n-Water.com. When motoring, we run the icemaker off our Xantrex 2k watt inverter. When anchored, off the Honda Generator. It makes a pitcher full of large ice cubes in a couple of hours. Not a lot by landlubber standards. But we're very happy with it!
Old 25-03-2013, 08:32   #36

Boat: Laguna 33

I saw a refurbished Emerson portable ice maker on sale for $60 today that started me thinking; since it reuses meltwater for making new ice, could someone plumb in a reservoir (like a gallon jug, or ideally a "radiator") in an ice box or cooler, let the melt water drain down into it and pump out of it. If the cooler starts out cold, it would boost the efficiency of the icemaker, but over time, it might also help keep the contents of the cooler cold. Also there would be less frequent refilling.

Wishful thinking no doubt. The AB Cold Machine on my boat is beyond repair.
Saqqara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 13:14   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I use one cube of ice in a gin and tonic, A tray in the freezer lasts me a week!, Just what is all this "ice" for. Cold is useful , ice isn't!

Dave
Old 25-03-2013, 13:45   #38

What came first, the chicken or the egg? I have no freezer, I have an ice box. I was first wondering if this hen could lay enough eggs to keep my beer cold. That inspired me to lament the trouble that dumping the ice and topping up the water would cause, and some rube goldberg scheme for getting the ice to drop into the ice box. Then I thought, cold is useful, ice isn't... the meltwater would be easier to circulate than the ice. These cheap icemakers don't even insulate the bin, they let it melt, and make new ice.
Old 25-03-2013, 17:55   #39

Boat: H36
6 guess for Martins? Ice maker out lasts every one. It seems the fridge is full the freezer is full and very little ac keeps the ice maker full. This is the best cheapest boat thing I have ever bought, and I have bought my fair share.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:03   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I use one cube of ice in a gin and tonic, A tray in the freezer lasts me a week!, Just what is all this "ice" for. Cold is useful , ice isn't!

Dave

I do like 2 small ice cubes melting in a nice unblended peaty scotch to mellow and finish both the scotch and my day.

However, Icemakers are not energy efficient.

My Isotherm was only used for dockside parties, so I have just taken mine out.

I will now invest that space in a more efficient freezer and have the multi-functionality of using it for what is needed

These trays are the best… cheap, simple and can be a sealable or sliding cover.

Oxo Good Grips Ice Cube Tray W/Cover 14 Cm X 32.5 Cm White/Blue | Kitchen Stuff Plus
OXO Good Grips No-Spill Ice Cube Tray
Ice Cube Tray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Icemaker 20130109_113340.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	57877  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:25   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
IP210TI Compact Edgestar Portable Ice Maker - Titanium

This is the one I use. Seems to run fine on the inverter. However, these types do not have a freezer, so they don't really store ice, they just keep making it. They make the cubes pretty fast, so you have the first cubes in about 10 minutes, and a dozen cubes in about half hour.

I fire mine up about 45 minutes before reaching my destination, and by the time the anchor is set and the log is filled out, I have plenty of ice for the rest of the evening. What ever I don't use just melts back into the water well to be frozen next time.
We use a similar wirks awesome 26 lbs a day 9 icecubes in under 6 minutes. Works great on the inverter very lower draw.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:38   #42

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

We use a similar wirks awesome 26 lbs a day 9 icecubes in under 6 minutes. Works great on the inverter very lower draw.
My god my spelling is atrocious. Lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 07:05   #43

While the cost is so low it's tempting to experiment with it, there's just no good place for this thing on my boat, particularly not while in operation.
Old 26-03-2013, 19:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

My god my spelling is atrocious. Lol.
I just blame my phone's auto word generator!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 16:16   #45

Hi,

This seems like a pretty old thread but I thought I would update it with a new idea. Has anyone considered or tried putting a 12v replacement ice maker "assembly"? Norcold makes one (part # 633324) that looks like it might nicely fit inside an existing galley freezer and not take up too much room.

I'm in the process of swapping out my entire refrig/freezer system for a high effency keel cooled unit and while we have everything apart I thought this might be something worth trying (the unit only costs $150). But I have to believe someone else on this forum has already looked into this!

Thanks!

Peter
Lamb Chops is offline   Reply With Quote