Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 12:05   #16

Re: Inexpensive Ice Maker ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
The engel will not make cubes in ten minutes! These will!

True, but I found the first batches from the ice maker are Mickey Rooney sized ice cubes. So thin they just about melt before they hit the glass. Until the supply water starts to get cold it takes a couple of cycles before you get any decent ice cubes. I agree at the dock with power they are great once they get going. But, I'm not often at a dock. So I found it not useful enough to take up the space on board.
Old 14-05-2011, 12:09   #17
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

Our new boat has a built-in 12V DC ice maker and we'll post a thread this summer on how it works.
Being in the business for decades I can tell you filtered water, or even if possible distilled water will help with it's performance and reliability over the years.
Especially with the re-circulating systems.

The more money you spend on a water filter, the better the filter. The excellent water filters that were for decades $100 U.S., now can be found for $25, they are a bargain IMHO.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 12:18   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Can't imagine you bought a U-Line for under $200 ...
We didn't! I said it wasn't cheap. However, there's also something to be said for spending $800 once and have it last for many years, versus spending $200 every year or so. Plus, it can make large quantities in fairly short order and then gets turned off.

No matter which way someone ends up going (and I'm not criticizing the cheaper ones), they are great things to have. Enjoy!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 12:57   #19

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I said it wasn't cheap. However, there's also something to be said for spending $800 once and have it last for many years, versus spending $200 every year or so.
I don't know why you think the $200 ones need yearly replacement. I have had mine for 4 years, and it continues to perform the same as the day it was new.

Anyway, the OP asked about the icemakers in the $200 range. The responses so far indicate that most of us who own one are happy with them.
Old 14-05-2011, 13:14   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I don't know why you think the $200 ones need yearly replacement. I have had mine for 4 years, and it continues to perform the same as the day it was new.
That's great, I'm happy for you and didn't mean to step on your toes. I got the notion from one of the early posters who said they've replaced their inexpensive one, several times. That's all.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 14:27   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Unless your boat lives at a dock or you run a generator a lot I'd say save your money and put it toward a good reefer/freezer like an Engel and make ice with it.
We have a little freezer. We fill it with water bottles filled with ice, which freeze, and we use them as ice blocks in the bigger fridge, so we can reduce power usage whilst sailing. Regardless, the freezer still works on battery power (the solar panels should take over that job soon), and it is multi-purpose, which an icemaker isn't!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD freezer.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	27341  
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:38   #22

Thanks for all the great feedback. It really helps me see the pros & cons. My second question is where do you keep it? Mounted permanently or stored away until needed?

Thanks again!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:44   #23

Boat: Haida 26

I hide mine in the v-berth, that's my storage area. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 02:47   #24

Boat: Westsail 42 Varua Ti'ama

Thanks for all the great ideas! More than I expected, all very helpful.
Best wishes for fair winds,
Old 19-05-2011, 04:44   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

@Doug..... If I run it 24/7, mine crap out about 1x a year. The motherboard goes south and the replacement is $150, so I can the whole machine and buy new. I have salvaged the compressors and condensers, with the thought of an el-cheapo ice box conversion, but have yet to find the el-cheapo holding plate!

@Sailor g..... Under the salon table, strapped to the compression post
Old 19-05-2011, 09:04   #26

@Sailor g..... Under the salon table, strapped to the compression post[/QUOTE]

This is a real help! This is I'm sure a silly question  Then when you get in port you put it on a counter and let it work? Or in the freezer? or in the cockpit so you don't have to get up for a cocktail? 
Old 21-12-2011, 19:22   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
@Sailor g..... Under the salon table, strapped to the compression post
This is a real help! This is I'm sure a silly question  Then when you get in port you put it on a counter and let it work? Or in the freezer? or in the cockpit so you don't have to get up for a cocktail? [/QUOTE]

I’m sorry I missed your question the last time this thread went through. The unit has its own refrigeration built in. It just sits on the deck and merrily churns out ice cubes as long as it sees power. I have no solar or wind generation, so I run my little Honda 2x a day for a couple hours. Every time the unit is full, I dump ice into a little bin in the icebox. Usually I have plenty of ice for my needs unless we have guests. While in port, it just runs all day (we turn it off at night as it is noisy when the ice drops into the tray.)
Old 22-12-2011, 18:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo

I’m sorry I missed your question the last time this thread went through. The unit has its own refrigeration built in. It just sits on the deck and merrily churns out ice cubes as long as it sees power. I have no solar or wind generation, so I run my little Honda 2x a day for a couple hours. Every time the unit is full, I dump ice into a little bin in the icebox. Usually I have plenty of ice for my needs unless we have guests. While in port, it just runs all day (we turn it off at night as it is noisy when the ice drops into the tray.)
No problem  I appreciate your response. We did get an icemaker & love it! It makes ice quick & in nice quantity. We pour a pitcher of water in & it makes enough ice for a few days (for us). I think it is my best buy for the boat!
Old 23-12-2011, 10:59   #29

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I found U-Line in the local classifieds and got it for only $125. It was in like new condition and works great. Before that we had a portable like Capngeo's pic. It was OK but less than optimal since it does not have a freezer compartment. So, you have to move the ice to a freezer once made.
Old 27-12-2011, 16:17   #30

Boat: Pearson 323

I bought online a Walmart special earlier this year for about $149 before tax (and no shipping if picked up at the store). It was a Magic Chef model MCIM22TW, but it looks basically the same as the one listed below (for even less money!):

Igloo Ice 102 Portable Ice Maker - Walmart.com

I agree with previous comments that it will keep up with your gin tonics, but you won't fill an ice chest. it takes close to30- 45 minutes to get enough ice for one drink, then it does better, once it gets going. It was quiet, but the biggest issue I had was the heat rejection from it; I had it sitting on the galley counter, inside the boat. This summer I tried it on/off, with my AC on, and it made a difference. Maybe on larger boats (with more air space/circulation, or AC) it wouldn't matter.

Bottom line, I still find it useful (when on shore power), as I don't like to run short on ice, and it saves multiple trips to the store for bags of ice. It will keep two people supplied with ice. I have a Honda 2000i (about 1600 W max delivered) generator, but haven't tried it with the generator connected. But, the icemaker is rated for 160 W, so it should work easily under generator power (even with starting load).
StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote