Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 11:43   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
I Don't Know Beans....

Anyone have information on relative merits of beans for nutritional value? I noted when shopping that prices very greatly, with pinto beans being about the cheapest in this area, and I wonder where it pays to spend more to get more or different nutrients.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:10   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: I Don't Know Beans....

I think they all contain similar nutrients, typically calcium, Iron, potassium, folic acid, etc..

The main difference is the calories vs. Protein and Fiber concentrations. I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I know if you want a certain amount of protein while remaining with a specific calorie budget, beans are the best way to fine tune your diet.

They all have tons of good protein, and tons of soluble fiber (and plenty of good carbs). But (if you didn't know) you still need a separte source of insoluble fiber such as, unprocessed whole grains, to reap the benefits of all that soluble fiber.

There isn't much out there that's as well balanced as beans/legumes with whole brown rice.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

This might help...
Nutritional Value of Dry Beans

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 15:42   #4
Scurvy Dog

Can you eat beans and rice as your main staple for long periods of time without missing out on any nutrients?
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:17   #5

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
Can you eat beans and rice as your main staple for long periods of time without missing out on any nutrients?
Nutrition and dietary issues are complex. They depend e.g. on what else you are eating. The bottom line is "Mix it up much more." One of the standard mantras of vegetarians is "Mix the bean, the greens and the grains." But also add fruits, eggs, fish, whatever fits in your chosen diet.

If you were eating beans alone, by memory they are deficient in a couple of essential amino acids (the building blocks of proteins). Rice grains should help. But mix things up much, much more. Use other grains. Add eggs and fresh veg / fruit. Fish & other meat if your strictures allow.

http://www.suite101.com/content/prot...o-acids-a13765

Similarly, you could risk vitamin deficiencies over an extended period.

Bottom line is there are usually cheap supplements like eggs and cabbages that last plenty of time out of fridges. So why eat only beans and rice?

roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I Don't Know Beans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
I think you'll find that the diet that you were raised with and live on in the main is what your body needs to maintain efficiency...
during WW1 Indian troops were fed the same rations as the brits... hundreds sickened and died of malnutrition and pneumonia... their bodies could not deal with the change... also most were vegetarians and brits thrived on bully beef.
Finally someone clued up and started giving them rice and spices and letting them have their own mess cooks... within two weeks soldiers at deaths door were making miraculous recovery's
Think of what you've lived on all your life... the staples... thats what you will need or as close to replicating as you can...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 16:36   #7

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930

A useful link, given you are looking at a particularly restrictive vegetarian diet.

The Vegetarian: Good Health Tips to Consider

The more you know about food groups, the better you can balance a restrictive diet. But why bother? If you have to ask the question, you could risk problems.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote