Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-12-2017, 16:59   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Long Do You Provision For?

Question, how much “stuff” do you pack aboard?
I know this is a variable question, if I were planning the North West Passage then that is a different answer than cruising the Caribbean.
We are leaving soon for the Western Caribbean, jump over to Mexico from Florida and meander South hoping to be the Rio Dulce by Hurricane season.
Some people we are going with plan on Provisioning for six months, and while I can see maybe doing that keeps you from having to go to the store very often, I seem to think that maybe that is a bit much, that provisioning our favorite things, like deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste etc for months is maybe logical as maybe our favorite brand may be hard to find, but that laying in months of toilet paper and basic foods just isn’t necessary.
If you were leaving on this trip, what would you lay in a long time supply of, and what would you not?
For instance just as an example, not meant to be specific just as an example is all, but let’s say that garbage bags just are not available in Mexico, then of course laying in months of supply is warrantied, but not if they are.
I assume they are, but was looking for suggestions of what you can’t get, but wish you could.
I suspicion that just about anything that can be had in the US is available in Mexico and that laying in months of supplies isn’t necessary or even desirable.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote