Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 14:02   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Heat Retention Cooking (Wonderbag and others)--Any Downsides?

Yes, I have read the threads say it works. I have tried a few things and it seems brilliant for sailors. For cruisers:
  • less heat in the galley in summer
  • less humidity and oxygen consumption in the winter
  • no need to hang around and watch the stove (go play)
  • frees up a burner.
I've played with this using an old sleeping bag, and so far I can't see a down side. I've done rice, mashed potatoes, an stew. The cooking times are a little longer (130%--but you don't have to be there), but the results are the same and there is zero chance of fire or burning. The pot is typically 190-195F) after 2 hours, still cooking. It would still be at a food-safe temperature (>160F) for 8 hours (much of the drop occurs quickly as the insulation warms).

Simply, other than 1 extra thing to store, what is the down side?
Old 04-01-2016, 02:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Heat Retention Cooing (Wonderbag and others)--Any Downsides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

Simply, other than 1 extra thing to store, what is the down side?
[/FONT]
I have been using a Wonderbag for a couple of years now and love it. As you said, it frees up a burner, reduces heat in the galley, saves time in the galley and also saves fuel. I frequently use the Wonderbag in coniunction with the pressure cooker, bringing food to high pressure, holding for 5 minutes and then tucking in the Wonderbag to continue slow cooking all day.

The only downside I have found is that I have to think ahead - no big deal really

Oh, and the Wonderbag is loved by our cats in the winter months so we have to store it out of reach!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:15   #3

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

You forgot two pluses, you can prepare lunch first thing in the morning and it will be ready whenever you are. this is very handy when traveling because you can make lunch before you raise the anchor. second thing is it uses less fuel. I guess the only drawback is I feel "guilty" when I haven't prepared ahead of time and have to cook things the normal way. I hope you have a pressure cooker!
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:21   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

I simply use a duvet I already have.
Much cheaper and no extra storage required for the wonderbag

My grandma used to use those old, heavy blankets - I guess the idea came from there, as it used to be a very common way to cook food.

Only 'new' thing about it is that nowadays, you have to buy (and store) an (expensive) wonderbag
Old 10-01-2016, 11:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
You forgot two pluses, you can prepare lunch first thing in the morning and it will be ready whenever you are. this is very handy when traveling because you can make lunch before you raise the anchor. second thing is it uses less fuel. I guess the only drawback is I feel "guilty" when I haven't prepared ahead of time and have to cook things the normal way. I hope you have a pressure cooker!
We obviously think the same way!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We obviously think the same way!
I hope you know the trick of putting a bowl inside your pressure cooker, perfect rice every time.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:02   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I hope you know the trick of putting a bowl inside your pressure cooker, perfect rice every time.
Absolutely!

Perfect rice every time if you use the absorption method, even with the Wonderbag!
Old 10-01-2016, 12:24   #8
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

give us more information on the bowl and rice!!!
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:40   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
give us more information on the bowl and rice!!!
rdw
My way is to put 1 cup of rice in a bowl with 2 cups of cold water, seal well with foil and string or a heatproof lid. Stand on trivet in whatever you are cooking in pressure cooker. Cook main item as normal, rice will steam in the bowl and come out perfect every time, however long you cook for. Hope that makes sense!
Old 10-01-2016, 12:41   #10

Okay I think the OP has gotten his answer so I'll hijack. I use Pyrex bowls but stainless steel might be more efficient in other words use less time. Put something under the bowl to keep it from rattling I use chopsticks cut to fit. White rice is one cup to one and a half cups water. parboiled add a little more water. Put maybe an inch of water in the pressure cooker.( this is with a Fager pressure cooker older jiggler types will need more water) Cook for 12 to 13 minutes under pressure let depressurize naturally. also if you put sweet potatoes on top of the bowl they will come out perfect too. But better yet use the insulated cooking method : ). bring up to pressure, insulate and it will be ready in about a half hour up to many hours. you may have to add more water to the bottom of the pressure cooker at the beginning to have a larger heat sink. Or if your insulation isn't good enough you may have to cook it for a little while. Good luck. PS I'm making dinner right now with a pork chop on top of the rice I'll let it cook under pressure for a few minutes just cuz there's meat in there and have dinner maybe at 5 or 6
Old 10-01-2016, 12:47   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Okay I think the OP has gotten his answer so I'll hijack. I use Pyrex bowls but stainless steel might be more efficient in other words use less time. Put something under the bowl to keep it from rattling I use chopsticks cut to fit. White rice is one cup to one and a half cups water. parboiled add a little more water. Put maybe an inch of water in the pressure cooker.( this is with a Fager pressure cooker older jiggler types will need more water) Cook for 12 to 13 minutes under pressure let depressurize naturally. also if you put sweet potatoes on top of the bowl they will come out perfect too. But better yet use an insulated cooker : ). bring up to pressure, insulate and it will be ready in about a half hour up to many hours. you may have to add more water to the bottom of the pressure cooker at the beginning to have a larger heat sink. Or if your insulation isn't good enough you may have to cook it for a little while. Good luck.
Yep, pretty much the same as my method. If I'm not using the pressure cooker to cook a meal I just do the rice in the Wonderbag, simmer 1:2, rice:water, for 5 minutes then straight into the bag and the rice will be perfect and hot from 20 minutes to several hours.
Old 10-01-2016, 13:01   #12

Cool.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:39   #13

Another advantage of using a bowl inside the pressure cooker is that you can put the bowl in the fridge if there's leftovers then reheat it, like I'm doing today. Less dishes and a small bowl is easier to clean than a pressure cooker and never any burning
Old 18-01-2016, 05:53   #14
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

Has anyone made or seen a bag that is made of less bulky material but works as good?
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 06:23   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
Has anyone made or seen a bag that is made of less bulky material but works as good?
RDW
Google "thermal Cookers" and you will find many. I've tested a few and found no real disappointments. You might also experiment with wide-mouthed thermoses and coolers. The main thing is if it can hold > 160F for 2 hours.

I have learned that you have to reduce the water a little, since none steams away.

Tags
cooking