Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 04:48   #241
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Gin Tankage?

Clearly Dockhead doesn't run a dry ship
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 05:49   #242

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Clearly Dockhead doesn't run a dry ship
Actually we are dry underway.

That does not reduce average consumption, however, because the crew make up for lost time once in port.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 16:17   #243

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Inspired by SWL's martini experiments, I have just cracked open Carsten's gift bottle of Hendricks and am enjoying the sweetest martini, I think, of my life.

Not because of the Hendricks (although that is mighty fine), but because it's the first alcohol I've had since before Christmas. I was a bit under the weather and only feeling more or less ok today.

I am also celebrating finally finishing a contract I've been struggling with day and night for several days.

Cheers!
Old 16-01-2015, 16:20   #244

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Cheers!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 02:09   #245
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Inspired by SWL's martini experiments, I have just cracked open Carsten's gift bottle of Hendricks and am enjoying the sweetest martini, I think, of my life.

Not because of the Hendricks (although that is mighty fine), but because it's the first alcohol I've had since before Christmas. I was a bit under the weather and only feeling more or less ok today.

I am also celebrating finally finishing a contract I've been struggling with day and night for several days.

Cheers!

3+ weeks dry, you've got some catching up to do...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:38   #246

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Cheers!
Cheers! I'm mightly pleased that you are enjoying et. Hmmmm - maybe I'll go mix myself a G&T

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:46   #247

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:

Cheers!
Glad you are feeling better .

Martini time here. I've stopped experimenting. Why mess with perfection .

SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 16:12   #248

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

3+ weeks dry, you've got some catching up to do...
I really like gin. and am loving the suggestions here.

But the wife says it makes me nasty and rude..........(nasty-er and rude-er I think really)

But dry now for 2.5 months has been tough. Not nuthin'

maybe I should unsubscribe.
Old 18-01-2015, 17:23   #249
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Hendricks , tonic and a slice of fresh cucumber - heaven.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 29-01-2015, 07:19   #250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apologies that this is off topic, but the thread has temporarily died and this is at least vaguely gin related .

I am busy putting my winter orders, including the ingredients to make tonic syrup. Prices seem to vary wildly. Looking at one of Amazon's suppliers, the prices are almost a third buying cinchona bark direct as opposed to through Amazon (11€ vs £22 for 250g). I am not confident of what I am buying though. The site is German and the label is "Kräuter" and product description "Kräuter für Klamotten". The seems to translate as "Herbs for clothes" .

These are links to the two sites:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joannas-Gard...=cinchona+bark
Produktliste: Kräuter für Klamotten - joannasgarden.com

Is anyone able to help with a translation? Is this actually cinchona bark?

SWL

Old 29-01-2015, 08:11   #251

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Apologies that this is off topic, but the thread has temporarily died and this is at least vaguely gin related .

I am busy putting my winter orders, including the ingredients to make tonic syrup. Prices seem to vary wildly. Looking at one of Amazon's suppliers, the prices are almost a third buying cinchona bark direct as opposed to through Amazon (11€ vs £22 for 250g). I am not confident of what I am buying though. The site is German and the label is "Kräuter" and product description "Kräuter für Klamotten". The seems to translate as "Herbs for clothes" .

Cinchona bark cut (250g): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

SWL
Not off topic at all -- how can you have gin without tonic?

"Kräuter für Klamotten" is some kind of potpourri for clothes. It says it's a mix of herbs, but doesn't say what kind. Could be cinchona bark, I guess, but no way to tell from this.

Here are some leads for the magic powder:

Cinchona bark Powder, Cinchonae cortex, 500g: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Old 29-01-2015, 08:15   #252

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joannas-Gard...=cinchona+bark

SWL
Oh, now I see the problem. Joannas Garten labels their cinchona bark just as "Kraeuter" -- herbs. You must have searched for Kraeuter on the Joannas Garten site, but got something completely different -- a potpourri. Good thing you didn't try to make tonic out of it!
Old 29-01-2015, 08:27   #253

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not off topic at all -- how can you have gin without tonic?

"Kräuter für Klamotten" is some kind of potpourri for clothes. It says it's a mix of herbs, but doesn't say what kind. Could be cinchona bark, I guess, but no way to tell from this.

Here are some leads for the magic powder:

Cinchona bark Powder, Cinchonae cortex, 500g: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
I now have visions of poisoning myself with potpourri .

The link unfortunately is no help. The tonic recipes all call for chopped bark, not powder:
"powder should be avoided at all costs as it’s such a pain to filter".
Also, this particular distributor does not ship to Greece (along with several others on Amazon), so I am hitting a brick wall.

I will have another hunt tomorrow and I'll post a link to whatever source I eventually find.

SWL
Edited to add: I am slow typing at the moment so I missed the last post - martini and movie time here .

Old 29-01-2015, 09:01   #254

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I now have visions of poisoning myself with potpourri .

The link unfortunately is no help. The tonic recipes all call for chopped bark, not powder:
"powder should be avoided at all costs as it’s such a pain to filter".
Also, this particular distributor does not ship to Greece (along with several others on Amazon), so I am hitting a brick wall.

I will have another hunt tomorrow and I'll post a link to whatever source I eventually find.

SWL
Edited to add: I am slow typing at the moment so I missed the last post - martini and movie time here .
Here's some from the U.S.:

Cinchona Bark, Cut, 16 oz (Cinchona succirubra) - Penn Herb Company On-Line Herb Store
Old 29-01-2015, 09:08   #255

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Has anyone done a cost per liter of tonic? I ask because I have been using the Sodastream tonic syrup for several years now, and have come to really appreciate the simplicity and volume of finished tonic water that results from a single bottle of syrup. This simplicity and the storage qualities of their syrup are very appealing for me as I prepare for cruising with gin. I am wondering how making my own syrup, coupled with how well a DIY tonic syrup (or one of the several options to Sodastream) would compare, on a strict cost basis. I will probably still continue to use the Sodastream for its cost, simplicity and storage qualities, but the craft tonic makers are certainly appealing. It is so nice to have options.

I just did the calc for Sodastream: $8 per bottle to make 12 liters = about $0.70 per liter. I don't consider the carbonation cost because I refill my own cylinders using a tank of commercial bartender CO2 liquefied which I can get for free (well, I do buy a pint of IPA to say thanks to the bar). I use about 6-8 bottles of gas (Sodastream bottles) and about a dozen syrup bottles per year. I haven't calculated how much gin that is because, sometimes, there are some Martinis consuming my stock. And then there's the wine, craft beer and the scotch vying for my attention......
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote