Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 11:29   #91

Boat: Sunfish (but looking for a Sneakbox)
Re: Cooking Without Refrigeration / Microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
I thought all sailors canned there own meats, I just had rib meat on rice I canned last spring, not because I'am far offshore, just to lazy to go to the store. Canning butter is very easy and last till you use it 3-5 years or more. I even cook hambugers and then can them, and I can have my hambuger in paradise. Taste a little different, but really good when you ain't been in port for several weeks and all fresh food is gone except the fish, the shrimp and anything else that happened by. Get a pressure canner.
Ragdoll;

Are you talking about canning with Mason Jars? I'm a country boy, and I'm use to canning that way, but I was thinking that on a boat you don't want glass (or at least some people don't). I'm new to sailing, that is why I'm asking. Also where/how do you store such?
Old 23-05-2014, 03:41   #92
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Mt2Salt, this is an older thread but it doesn't hurt to ask. We keep glass canning jars on our boat and have crossed both the gulf stream and the Atlantic and no breakage. We keep them in socks or neoprene cozies or an old piece of towel even, in a storage locker, upright. As long as there is no movement in the locker it works great. That goes for all lockers, no matter what you are stowing. We use towels, clean rags, and lots of rolls of toilet paper and paper towels if we have excess room. Hope that helps!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:11   #93

Here is an old standby meal I even use on the hard. I call it, Tuna Surprise!
Simple to make even the guys can do it, ha. The only skill required is to chop an onion, and open a can.
Ingredients:
1 284ml or 10 oz fl can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup undiluted.
1 184g can of your favourite brand of tuna drained.
1 med onion finely chopped.

Directions:
Place the 3 ingredients into a small pot, stir frequently while on med/low heat, until hot. Spoon onto toast (buttered or not) and enjoy. Makes enough to cover 8 pieces of toast. Enjoy.....Jim
crash60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 13:49   #94
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

An 8-ounce canning jar holds a cup of meat or two servings. Using a 4-quart pressure cooker which can also hold pint jars, I can almost any meats, all boneless, from ground beef to chicken breast to turkey light and dark meat, lamb, pork. Makes great chili, stews, other combo dishes. At sea without refrigeration I also can fish when the catch is too large to eat. Jars can be re-used. Just carry extra lids. Also for provisioning without fridge see Pantry Recipe of the Week each Friday at Janet Groene's BoatCook
Old 16-04-2017, 17:59   #95

Boat: islandpacket

Do you cover info for canning meat in your book?

Tags
cooking, food, meals, recipes