Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2005, 19:08   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Question Covection microwave ovens?

Does anyone have any experiences with a convection/microwave oven combinations? Either on a boat, or at home? I'd love to hear your opinions?

Thanks,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2005, 22:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I need to get my wife to answer this one, but she's away for the week. But yes, we cook in nothing else. We don't use our normal oven at all. It's fantastic at all things cooking. I heated a pie in it tonight for a meal. From the freezer to the Microwave and 6min later, on a plate infront of me. Now the biggest beauty with the convection nukeing, is that the pastry doesn't get all soggy like just straight nukeing causes it to. Dawn can have a complete evening meal ready for the both of us within 10 to 20 minutes.
Very efficient, very fast, very clean, low fat cooking. We have an ordinary Microwave on the boat, but would love a convection one. Not sure we could keep battery power up to the inverter for long though. They suck the juice.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 12:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I've used them on land and they can be quite nice. You have to adjust how you cook a little but they do work quite well. On the boat I would think the electric requirement would put them out of range of most. You need to make lightning to power one. At 12 volts you need a whole lot of amps.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 14:05   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Didn't get the convection oven, it would have played havoc with my electrical budget. We use the microwave for short periods of time. Don't really use it that much when we are not attached to shore power. We can run it for short periods from the batteries, but I tend to start the generator when I am going to use it. The generator has more than enough capacity to run it.

Leason, if you are concerned with power utilization get a SMALL microwave oven.

Cheers,

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 17:16   #5

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Our microwave is not friends with the big inverter. We must be on shore power or generator 110 to run it.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 23:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We have a 3Kw @ 230V inverter. It runs the Microwave OK sometimes and sometimes it just won't start it. So we alwasy use the Genset to run the wicrowave. It is to do with the modified sinewave not being so clean and the fact that the microwave has a digital control panel. I recomend a microwave with a simple dial type timer. Nothing fancy. Then any modified sinewave inverter of suffiecient current capacity should run the oven OK.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 23:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Checking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
....I recomend a microwave with a simple dial type timer. Nothing fancy. Then any modified sinewave inverter of suffiecient current capacity should run the oven OK.
Is this still good and true advice Alan? I have been looking for a small MW now that the electrical is almost complete, and I would prefer to avoid the cost of a pure sine wave inverter.

I am assuming from the earlier posts in this thread from 2005, MW/ Convection ovens are very amp hungry. Still true?

Does anyone have a recommended MW brand that has held up well in the marine environment?

Thanks

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 03:03   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Is this still good and true advice Alan? I have been looking for a small MW now that the electrical is almost complete, and I would prefer to avoid the cost of a pure sine wave inverter.

I am assuming from the earlier posts in this thread from 2005, MW/ Convection ovens are very amp hungry. Still true?

Does anyone have a recommended MW brand that has held up well in the marine environment?

Thanks

Michael
In my experience, any old cheap microwave does well. Since they are inside, they don't tend to rust up much. I have found it is most efficient to have a lower-powered microwave, using it on its highest setting and almost never putting in on lower settings.

It uses no less power on low - it just cycles the power on, then off, then on, then off for the entire time you're cooking.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote