Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 09:05   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Can non-drinkers be cruisers?

It seems as though they will tolerate you as long as you tolerate them, as long as it is not in excess. A dry boat is your prerogative as is not excepting an invitation. Probably won't make many friends or maybe I just haven't met the people ardently against anyone else having a social drink.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:10   #32

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

at 1st) yes
2nd) may be you change your habits after a while

but frankly I know several cruisers who are not drinkers or only reasonable social drinkers.

Good luck
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:39   #33

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Sometimes I am amazed by some of these questions. This is America, do what you want as long as your not hurting anyone else.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:41   #34

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransflyer View Post
we are trying our best to stay healthy and safe as we age.
Take a look at Dr. Greger's site regarding healthy food choices. There are a lot of foods we eat that are just as dangerous and detrimental to human health as alcohol. (Bacon, for example, dang it!) Of course, most agree that alcohol abuse is not healthy at all. https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/alcohol/

We are currently cruising Mexico and have met several boaters that don't drink, and some that do. And some that obviously have a problem with alcohol, and continue to drink to excess.

I agree with the above comment that you should notify guests that you have a dry boat when you are inviting them for happy hour or dinner (not after they show up).

We learned a valuable lesson regarding alcohol consumption and company recently. We invited a couple of our cold-weather land friends to spend 10 days on our boat in sunny Mexico. We have known this couple for years, but didn't realize how much one of them drank. Long story short - they completely emptied the liquor cabinet, putting away more than a fifth of hard alcohol per day, plus beer and wine. IT WAS COMPLETELY UNSAFE. On day two, I found out one of them couldn't swim. Great. I immediately stopped drinking anything alcoholic so I could babysit. I also locked everyone (me included) in the boat at night (while we were at anchor) so I could get some sleep without worrying about this person falling overboard. The attached pic is how much this couple consumed in 10 days. (Not including the beer.) Right?

Obviously, this couple won't be invited back. And, we now have an upfront conversation with friends - prior to them boarding - regarding alcohol consumption, drugs, and all the other safety rules. Being upfront seems to be the key.

But, there is something magical about sipping on a margarita watching the sun set while the surf crashes onto the golden sand beach.

After all, life is meant to be fully lived and fully enjoyed. It's not a contest to see who lives the longest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171112_080712329_Alcohol.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	165040  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:52   #35

Boat: Hunter 33

Yes you can be cruisers as long as you don't mind seeing alot of people drinking all the time

I can only drink a couple times a week because of the hangovers so just catch me on my down days and we can hang out
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 09:55   #36

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We are not tee totalers, but we only have a drink occasionally. Being adults we are free to exercise free will and have our drinks when we choose. I prefer Johnny Walker Blue Label Scotch, which I cannot afford to share very often, so my drinks were usually in the privacy of my cabin. One bottle lasted me a couple of years. The first time I tasted it was towards the end of a 30 year spate of drinking where I drank about 4 or 5 bottles of Johnny Walker Black Label per week I was remodeling the rooms at the Phoenecian Resort in Scottsdale. My subcontractors would gather in the bar in the evenings and offer to buy whatever I wanted. Blue Label at the Camelback Lounge in 2000 through 2002 was $44 per glass, a little rich for my blood, but I developed a liking for it on other folks dime. We met a few raging alcoholics cruising that pestered you to join them, but it was rare, and they were always crashing bores who we didn't want to socialize with anyway. One Canadian singlehander we met in Mexico was areal hard drinker and the smartest person he ever met, and loud and opinionated about everything. He spent a half hour one early morning getting a Canadian friend who came down to cruise with him for awhile out of the water when they were returning from a pub crawl and the guy missed the boat while boarding. Also when he came into the slip next to us he crashed into the dock and into my Monitor windvane, luckily there were 7 or 8 people at the dock to assist him in docking. Of course that could happen for any number of reasons beyond ones control, but he was pretty loud and cocky to anyone within a hundred feet about why it was no fault of his while drinking in his cockpit for the next several hours. He had a nice boat, the nicest he had ever seen. just a few months later his boat sank after he collided with a whale. Sad
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:06   #37

Boat: DownEaster 38

For what it’s worth, my wife and stopped drinking about four years ago. Medical reasons. We are not cruising, but are active sailors and members of an active yacht club. Every one knows we don’t drink. The bar tenders know we only have ginger beer or sparkling apple juice and pour it as soon as they see us walk into the bar. No problems there. We entertain and serve what ever the guests like. Every one respects our choice as I would expect must cruisers would. This issue is not worth scuttling your dreams of Getting on a boat and sailing into the sunset. Bon Voyage!
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:15   #38

Boat: J/42

Coincidentally, just last night I cleaned out the galley. Took off all of last season’s stale snacks and all those cans of soup that have been lurking in a locker for years. Time for a complete refresh. Anyway, I also cleared out the liquor cabinet. That stuff has been rattling around on board for years, and except for one bottle that a guest opened once, all the seals are still intact. The occasion for booze just never seems to arise. YMMV.

However, I’ve found I’ve had to go completely Captain Bligh on marijuana users. Haven’t made anybody walk the plank yet, but they are permanently banned from the boat. They just can’t seem to understand that “no” means “NO,” and the consequences are potentially dire.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:18   #39

I don't drink and I always have a full liquor cabinet just in case someone drops over and wants a shot or a beer. Sometimes I might have a shot also. I got nothing against it.I just don't have any craving for it. I don't mind other people having a drink or two but if you want to get drunk then please do it on someone else's boat and without my company. A liquor free boat ? No need to be a liquor Nazi unless your off the sauce for a reason. Respect other peoples situations. I won't be rude and drink with an ex alki because it only takes one drink to fall off the wagon.That would be a tragedy. Play it by ear, when invited for dinner, bring a bottle of whatever you want. You don't have to drink it. Ask them if they are a booze free boat , then you'll know and you won't ruffle any feathers. Cheers !
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:24   #40

Boat: 34 American Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oddly drinking is not required to cruise. I don't drink though for no other reason then I don't want too. Then again I don't do drugs, never did that either. Lastly I'm a coffee virgin. Never had a cup. I don't need a stimulant to wake up happy. OK I might be a bit weird, but then I'm totally ok being different.

So yes, Non drinkers can be cruisers too. Think of all the money saved that you can do other things with.
Me to, no booze, no drugs, no caffeine. I simply don't like the way my system reacts.
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:37   #41

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49

We ourselves are a completely dry boat when underway, but if safely anchored, moored or tied up we enjoy our drinks. We occaisionally have a guest who does not drink alcohol and
if that happens we simply offer soft drinks, we don't make a fuss about it and never ask why.

If invited, bringing a plate of cheese or a desert instead of wine is fine and a nice gesture. Just say, hope you don't mind we won't join you in a wine or beer but if you have a soft drink or water we're quite happy. If inviting cruisers to your boat just say, we don't drink but please feel free to bring your own wine or beer.

Taking your own drinks to each others boats is quite normal, so take your own soft drinks.

Yes, cruisers are quite a boozy bunch, but be yourself, be honest and don't make a big deal out of it.

As for gifts for village chiefs, the rule is never offer alcohol, so that is not a problem.
Golden-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:39   #42

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Don't worry about this.
The good is that this will make the boat lighter. A lot lighter.
And there are place where alcool is really expensive. So this is just good for your wallet.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:52   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are enough nondrinkers out here to make an audience for those who drink, especially those who drink to excess.
y'all dronks are FUN to watch. not so much fun to rescue when ye fall out of kayaks or dinghies and must be dewatered like a dying whale. it is truly difficult to grab your slick selves and haul ye out of water when you are so sloppy dronk. but it is entertainment.
until you get so splashed you wake up dead. but that is another thread.
one would think cruisers enjoy life. alcohol clouds your realities, so how can you actually enjoy living....
folks who donot drink alcohol bring their own liquid refreshment with em in their own cup or glass.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:53   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransflyer View Post
As we study sailing and cruising, my wife and I are more excited each day to buy a boat, outfit it, and sail away. But we don't drink. Is it possible to be real cruisers, if we don't consume alcohol? Everywhere we turn it seems that booze is an important part of the scene.

There are lots of related questions as well. Here are a couple starters:

1. When invited to dine on other boats, we can only bring another dish to share rather than wine. Is that rude?
2. When we invite others aboard, can we politely explain that we prefer to be an alcohol free boat? What is a good way to say this?
3. When visiting remote locations, it's polite to offer the chief a gift. What are good alternatives to a bottle of liquor?
4. Is soda pop an acceptable option for some or all situations?

Feel free to suggest other potential situations/questions and answers.

While this won't stop us from exploring the world, it seems that it's an important social issue that we haven't seen discussed and we'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for your help.
It doesn't bother me if others don't want to drink, even if on my boat. When I invite people over for sundowners etc. I always tell them what I have on the boat to drink and that if they want something else they should bring it. For the most part cruisers are just looking for company and to talk to someone else besides themself or their partner.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Sometimes I am amazed by some of these questions. This is America, do what you want as long as your not hurting anyone else.
Right.

And in addition to being able to wear a bikini in public without embarrassment. And to shun anyone who dares to go out in public wearing one who, uhm, really shouldn't.

C'mon, really? A very strange question, indeed. Seems somewhat judgemental...

Make new friends as you go along. You'll know who they are, right quick. And if you haven't figured this out in your life yet...???

Good luck, just go have FUN!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser