Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 09:16   #16

Well thats just it....these guys are not gonna bust you for drinking while on the hook.Unless you are causing a rukus
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:09   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It all comes down to when, and where you are.

A couple weekends ago, in Vancouver BC, we were talking about the same thing. Here I am sitting in a Catholic Church reception room after a first communion of a nephew having a beer.
With the Priest on one side and a Vancouver Cop on the other having a couple brews. The Priest from Ireland telling us about the girlfriend he uses to have in England before he became a Priest. And the Cop talking about the gang violence that's growing in Canada (the guns laws are a joke). And also saying that he personally doesn't give every person that's been drinking a citation. If they can talk good sense and walk OK he'll just send them home.

It's just the individuals handing out the citations that make the difference. If you have a bad one in your area, move on or want until they're transferred or help them get transferred

Cops are people too! If one come across as an assh*** they are going to be treated that way. Some Cops are legalistic and you have to read them (mostly rookies). The best thing is to get to know the ones in your area. Be nice and treat them with respect.

The ones here in my neighborhood know me by sight and give a little nod when I see them. If you make yourself known and don't treat them like they are the enemy, they can become allies............................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 16:57   #18

Liquor Licence Act in Ontario

Here's what the law is regarding possession/consumption of alcohol on a boat in Ontario.

Read Section 32 in this:
Liquor Licence Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. L.19

Regardless of what that says, for years in Ontario courts have held that a vessel is also a dwelling house depending upon the purpose it is being used for at that time. If I am at anchor stopped for lunch I am using my boat as a residence and if I happen to enjoy a beverage, it is being enjoyed in my dwelling and I am committing no offence. Same as being at anchor for the night. Of course that won't stop some keen copper from pinching your booze because half of them don't have a clue what the law is at any given time, but if you take the time to contest it you likely will win. In Ontario anyway...
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 03:44   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
UK forges ahead with alcohol limit for boaters

UK Transport Minister Stephen Ladyman has announced that he will be pressing ahead with the introduction of legislation to limit boat owners from navigating while under the influence of alcohol.

A limit of 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood (0.08%) will apply to those involved in the navigation of a vessel greater than 7m (23ft) in length and/or capable of a maximum speed of more than 7kt.

"Everyone has the right to enjoy themselves on the water, but in a way that does not put others at risk," said Ladyman. "We have weighed very carefully the results of the consultation exercise and the views of all concerned - leisure sailors, enforcement authorities and accident investigators."

The regulations will not apply to jetskis because of a Court of Appeal ruling stating that the PWC's are not classed as ships. However plans exist to extend the legislation to them in due course.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 11:28   #20

The key there is "involved with the navigation of a vessel"...
and really.... so it should be ....right??...while you are navigating your vessel you really shouldn't be drinking

.....but watch the English build a whole new class of vessel called the "Drink Dink 69" 6.9 metres long with a hull speed of 6.9 knots

" to those involved in the navigation of a vessel greater than 7m (23ft) in length and/or capable of a maximum speed of more than 7kt. "
Capct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 14:32   #21

Boat: Scorpio, Sailing Trawler, 27', Scorpio
jdope71,

That is my understanding of the law too. I can anchor and drink and so can anyone else on board. The boat just cannot be underway and people be drinking at the same time. Makes sense to me that this is the current law. I can't drive and drink and neither can my passengers because there would have to be open alcohol in the car. Ditto alcohol on a boat. I believe alcohol has to be stored where it can't be reached. Boats do have to have heads, and cooking facilities to be classified as homes on the water.

The target is people who go to their boats with coolers, get drunk and kill either themselves, and/or people on and off the boat.
canuck is offline   Reply With Quote