Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-12-2011, 09:31   #1

Using a Asymmetrical Chute Downwind?

I have a new cruising chute on my boat and I was wondering if anyone has used a asymmetrical spinnaker directly downwind, i.e. with a apparent wind between 140 degrees and 180 degrees. Obviously at these wind angles the main is going to blanket the spinnaker, but it looks like I might have a couple of options. The first being to take the main down, which is a pain when sailing directly downwind, the second is to use a pole on the spinnaker and hold it out to windward. Another third idea I have since I have a good Dutchman Boom Brake fitted is to run the main by the lee.
I would love to hear from someone who has actually done any of these options whilst actually sailing.
Thanks
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric