Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 09:36   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Storm Anchoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes, our snubber is a combination of a long length of nylon for stretch and a short length of thick Dyneema going over the bow for chafe protection.

The combination has worked well. It has now been used for 9 named storms, as well as many more milder nights at anchor, without any breakages and with very little apparant chafe or wear, although the system has been tweaked slightly so not all the components are original.

The nylon has been cycled many times and although it still looks fine it is close to the time when it should be replaced. The Dyneema part will not need replacment for some time, but I think in the next version SWL will add some Dyneema chafe protection over the Dyneema single braid.
Last few years I haven't spent that much time at anchor in bad weather, so I have been too lazy to upgrade my snubber system.

I just use 10m and 15m pieces of 24mm nylon octoplait and recycle them every year as dock lines. But I have some 14mm Acera left over from making my drogue -- would be a pleasant little project to make a leader for the snubber out of that.

Or maybe it's not worth it. I run my snubber over my spare bow roller so it doesn't really chafe on anything -- the bronze roller rolls. I rig an anchor spring line to prevent yawing, in really bad weather.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Hmm, maybe I consider doing so some time, as I already have this 12mm piece. Using a sewn splice?
No, I put eye splices (woven) on both ends of the nylon octoplait and both ends of the Dyneema single braid (long buries with Brummel locks).

Three soft shackles are then used to connect the nylon to a rear cleat, the nylon to the Dyneema and the Dyneema to the chain.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:52   #63

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
I was gifted about 10m of single braid. But the only use it sees on the boat is for the Mrs as it is nice and soft

Oh dear let’s not go there
Old 02-06-2020, 09:57   #64

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
No, I put eye splices (woven) on both ends of the nylon octoplait and both ends of the Dyneema single braid (long buries with Brummel locks).

Three soft shackles are then used to connect the nylon to a rear cleat, the nylon to the Dyneema and the Dyneema to the chain.

SWL
Ah ok, never done a single braid splice, but I might try. Though I would be using it for the purpose of connecting it to a nylon snubber, (to prevent chafe through the bowroller) with that then hitched to my rode.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:42   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Ah ok, never done a single braid splice, but I might try. Though I would be using it for the purpose of connecting it to a nylon snubber, (to prevent chafe through the bowroller) with that then hitched to my rode.
Single braid splices are infinitely easier than double braid ones, particularly using Dyneema. Octoplait is a little trickier, but I posted directions for this with photos on CF coincidentally seven years today!

This is the link:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...it-104817.html

If your nylon is three strand not eight, then this is child’s play.

There are scores of Youtubes videos showing how to make Dyneema long bury splices and also for 3 strand line.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:14   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Single braid splices are infinitely easier than double braid ones, particularly using Dyneema. Octoplait is a little trickier, but I posted directions for this with photos on CF coincidentally seven years today!

This is the link:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...it-104817.html

If your nylon is three strand not eight, then this is child’s play.

There are scores of Youtubes videos showing how to make Dyneema long bury splices and also for 3 strand line.

SWL
Yea, plenty of experience with 3 strand, it's fine for rigging on my junk rig. I use three strand with an eye splice in one end on my parrels. Not intimidated by it, just never had the opportunity. Might try a braid splice for fun regardless.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:34   #67

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...I break them regularly -- every few years -- despite replacing them fairly often, despite never having less than 10 meters of snubber out. It goes with the territory if you anchor out in much weather much.
Quick question Dockhead and forgive me if it’s a stupid question, but any advice on how to tell that it’s time to replace?

We sail full time (USA East Coast) and anchor out the majority of the time - going on 4 yrs now and no snubber issues on our Hanse (40’ / 18,000 lb) plenty of “storms” but I must say, our anchorages are usually reasonably well protected, so not much in the way of constant coming up taught on the chain... perhaps 4’ swells at the worst.

I use regular 3 strand nylon from New England Ropes for the snubber(s), tubular nylon webbing for chafe guards and tie a rolling hitch onto the chain... no chafing that I can see, a bit “fuzzy” in sections where I tie, but no broken strands, etc.

Thanks for any help with this.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:37   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Quick question Dockhead and forgive me if it’s a stupid question, but any advice on how to tell that it’s time to replace?

We sail full time (USA East Coast) and anchor out the majority of the time - going on 4 yrs now and no snubber issues on our Hanse (40’ / 18,000 lb) plenty of “storms” but I must say, our anchorages are usually reasonably well protected, so not much in the way of constant coming up taught on the chain... perhaps 4’ swells at the worst.

I use regular 3 strand nylon from New England Ropes for the snubber(s), tubular nylon webbing for chafe guards and tie a rolling hitch onto the chain... no chafing that I can see, a bit “fuzzy” in sections where I tie, but no broken strands, etc.

Thanks for any help with this.
I would replace after each hard use, or every year, if you're worried about it breaking. Although personally I would do that only if it meets those conditions and I am also expecting some rough weather.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:00   #69

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
HMPE is a generic term meaning "high modulus polyester". A slightly more specific term is UHMWPE -- "ultra high molecular weight polyester". That includes Dyneema, Acera, and some others.

Kevlar is something completely different -- an aramid (aromatic polyamide). Other aramids includ Twaron and Nomex.
Actually, UHMWPE is ultra high molecular weight POLYETHYLENE, DH! If you are gonna flaunt high tech vocabulary, ya oughta get it right!

Jim
Old 02-06-2020, 17:32   #70
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I think you have that backwards. The longer the snubber is, the thicker you can make it and still get sufficient elasticity. It doesn't need to be thin if you make it long. It only needs to be thin if you're using a short one.

I've always thought this was an interesting way to look at it, and in fact, it is what I have done on my PDQ 34.

In fact, long and thin rope can absorb as much energy as short and fat rope. It is really the volume of rope that determines what it can absorb. Make sense?

So yes, while a long, thin snubber can really soften the anchoring impacts, a slightly longer, fatter snubber will do the same and last much longer. Take this to it's logical conclusion... and you have a rode made of nylon. I'm not sayin' you want to get away from chain. I like chain on boats big enough to handle it and I had all-chain on my last boat. What I am sayin' is that a longer snubber, say over 40 feet, does not have to be skinny. It should be no larger than a suitable rode, however.

On my current boat, I opted for oversize nylon rode. It has some of the attributes of an oversized snubber and some of the attributes of chain (more wear resistance), and is still quite light. Remember, there is no coral and very, very few rocks here (if there were coral that would change things).

Many possible answers.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:41   #71

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
That reminds me, thanks, OP - your snubber should be at least 10 meters long, this should help prevent it breaking. Use some tubing or old rags to prevent chafe.
I often hear this and wonder how it is that we have not broken our 5 metre snubber (19mm nylon) on a 60fter weighing near 70 tonne?

Been through multiple 50+ and a more memorable 80+ blow without an issue apart from soiled pants.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 17:50   #72

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I often hear this and wonder how it is that we have not broken our 5 metre snubber (19mm nylon) on a 60fter weighing near 70 tonne?

Been through multiple 50+ and a more memorable 80+ blow without an issue apart from soiled pants.
Just goes to show how grossly overestimated needed holding power really is.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 18:21   #73

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

You're probably heavier relative to your windage. So your boat likely produces less shock load in gusts.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 19:43   #74

Boat: Rafiki 37

MY dual (bridle) snubbers have always been 30' to 40', or about 9 to 12 meters. I often only deploy their partial length, depending on circumstances and conditions. But in a blow I'm happy to have the full length out.

Our little 37-footer is a lightweight compared to Simi's. We ring in at only 15 tons. Worst I've experienced at anchor is sustained 50 knots with higher gusts.
Old 02-06-2020, 19:58   #75

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
MY dual (bridle) snubbers have always been 30' to 40', or about 9 to 12 meters. I often only deploy their partial length, depending on circumstances and conditions. But in a blow I'm happy to have the full length out.

Our little 37-footer is a lightweight compared to Simi's. We ring in at only 15 tons. Worst I've experienced at anchor is sustained 50 knots with higher gusts.
You might want to consider a diet.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring