Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 23:25   #136
cruiser

Re: Skipper's Duty Towards Refugees

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnem80 View Post
These are not refugees, this are simply desperate illegal immigrants trying their luck moving to the rich Europe, like many Mexicans do with the US.
A sweeping statement like that, involving a boat you didn't see with people you've never met tells me exactly how much credit to give your post.

Speaking as an American, in a land of illegal immigrants, people are, without equal, the most powerful raw material any nation has.

Therefore, every time a Mexican crosses the border, we get stronger.
Old 13-10-2014, 23:41   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
A sweeping statement like that, involving a boat you didn't see with people you've never met tells me exactly how much credit to give your post.

Speaking as an American, in a land of illegal immigrants, people are, without equal, the most powerful raw material any nation has.

@Jammer Six

Given the description given in the first post "His estimate was that the boat was approximately 10 meters and crowded with upwards of 50 refugees" I have no doubt of what boat this is, they are in the news every single day in European Countries facing the Med.

To your other comment, that might have been true decades if not centuries ago, nowadays it's the skilled immigration that brings power to nations, not poor immigrants whose only mean of survival is crime
Old 14-10-2014, 01:18   #138

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post

Thank you for your responsible response. It was an appallingly sweeping statement.

Asylum statistics - Statistics Explained

In 2013, 450 000 of these 'illegal immigrants' (sic) were found to be Genuine refugees and therefor by definition NOT illegal. The statement was not only 'sweeping' it had an undertone of racist argument in it akin to 'I'm not racist but'!
Old 14-10-2014, 01:45   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by itnem80 View Post

Given the description given in the first post "His estimate was that the boat was approximately 10 meters and crowded with upwards of 50 refugees" I have no doubt of what boat this is, they are in the news every single day in European Countries facing the Med.

To your other comment, that might have been true decades if not centuries ago, nowadays it's the skilled immigration that brings power to nations, not poor immigrants whose only mean of survival is crime
what a rediculous assertion. you really should read up on some of this stuff before posting claims like this.
Old 14-10-2014, 03:25   #140

Boat: Westerly Sealord

OK I'm a day late and a dollar short , however...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... while I'm sure RC can answer for himself, let me make a couple of comments.

RC claimed that it is not illegal for refugees to arrive in such a fashion. I tend to agree with him but I'm no legal eagle.
My #2 pup has been involved in the 'stopping the boat people' stuff... think they have given him the 'border protection' gong....
He doesn't talk about it much but he says they aren't 'illegal immigrants' but simply undocumented arrivals...
Seems most of the 'illegals' in Oz are poms on expired visas.
But lets face it... in Oz 'stop the boats!' is up there with 'free beer for all' at election time...
Old 14-10-2014, 03:29   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

How the heck did this become a debate on illegal immigration? The premise is that there is a possibly overloaded boat at sea. As I posted a few pages back from Tribe Members, we are all immigrants!

Many of us descend from refugees of various atrocities. Not radioing may border on illegal, but I am sure St. Peter would advocate on my behalf.

If thier boat was sinking, AND I could take them on board, I would rather take my chances of meeting my Maker at thier hands, versus living with myself knowning my inaction resulted in thier deaths.

Just a different perspective.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 14-10-2014, 03:40   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
How the heck did this become a debate on illegal immigration? The premise is that there is a possibly overloaded boat at sea. As I posted a few pages back from Tribe Members, we are all immigrants!

Many of us descend from refugees of various atrocities. Not radioing may border on illegal, but I am sure St. Peter would advocate on my behalf.

If thier boat was sinking, AND I could take them on board, I would rather take my chances of meeting my Maker at thier hands, versus living with myself knowning my inaction resulted in thier deaths.

Just a different perspective.
I'm with you. on the picking them up.

I'd also radio it in for assistance as they are dangerously overloaded, a disaster waiting to happen. However, I don't believe it is 'illegal' not to radio it in. Irresponsible maybe, but not illegal.
Old 14-10-2014, 03:46   #143

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
How the heck did this become a debate on illegal immigration? .
I think its called thread drift.. now if it was a boat load of turtles with guns off the Australian coast.

How would you respond to the original situation?
For my money no differently to a similar situation any where in the world.
Look to the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand in the 70's if you want some case studies......
Old 14-10-2014, 03:51   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think its called thread drift.. now if it was a boat load of turtles with guns off the Australian coast.
Im really disappointed that the Tortoises are being ignored.
Old 14-10-2014, 04:24   #145
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Clearly not a member of the Turtle Club then...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-10-2014, 05:26   #146
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

What type of anchor do they have?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 14-10-2014, 05:35   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
What type of anchor do they have?
Tortoises dont have anchors.
Old 14-10-2014, 06:25   #148

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
If the boat was capable of taking him over and he estimated it was going to make the coast then it was clearly not in distress, therefore no call is warranted. As far as illegal activity... it could have been a wedding party that went terribly wrong.

Three hour tour?
Old 14-10-2014, 07:30   #149
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Three hour tour?
There are two types of men in the world: Ginger men and Mary Ann men.

Personally, I'm a hard-core Mary Ann man.
Old 14-10-2014, 08:20   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Thank you for your responsible response. It was an appallingly sweeping statement.

Asylum statistics - Statistics Explained

In 2013, 450 000 of these 'illegal immigrants' (sic) were found to be Genuine refugees and therefor by definition NOT illegal. The statement was not only 'sweeping' it had an undertone of racist argument in it akin to 'I'm not racist but'!
@Rustic Charm, please read the articles you post before making incorrect statements.

The article you posted states that out of 450,000 refugees asking for asylum only 131,000 (~30%) are eventually granted it or let stay legally in Europe. The first number accounts for the people asking for it, which is a good proxy for the number of arrested illegal immigrants.

The remaining 319,000 illegal immigrants, cost lots of money to the European government and have a high probability of escaping custody, becoming criminals and increasing the burden to society.

I'm not racist (def:a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another), but I deeply hate criminals and I'll do everything I can to keep them as far as possible from me and my family
Closed Thread

Tags
skipper