Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2013, 06:18   #91

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Single handed docking

This is, of course, a generality..as is prop walk, and is just not applicable to every boat

With regards to a sailboat..the ability of the motor to hold the boat against an aft spring is HIGHLY dependent on the position of the midships cleat with regard to the hull shape, ... a midships cleat that is at the widest part of the hull can quickly pull the bow in and the stern out..

additionally, given the topic is single handed docking i can never advocate someone leaving the boat with the engine in gear.

My boat is bow light, so will be affected by any off-dock wind, has no prop walk whatsoever, nor will it lay nicely against a dock using a spring.. (lucky huh?)..

so for me single handed docking requires stopping on a dime and tying the shortest possible breastline, then grabbing the lengthened bow line and making fast .. every time is an adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Spot on.

Motor slowly forward against a spring with the helm over and you have all the time in the world to get the rest of the lines in place.

Ian
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 22:39   #92

Boat: 21 ft sail boat
Re: Single-handed Docking Procedures

I have a fixed keel trailer sailer and have to tie up so the wind is pushing me away from the dock to float the boat onto the trailer later. Strong winds and drag of folded up sails make it difficult. At first I would make a mad dash from the tiller to the dock only to see the boat drift away. I can only do it if I come alongside, put the outboard in full reverse to get the boat moving backwards fast enough for the rudder to have effect. Swing the rudder over so the stern moves toward the dock. Jump out the rear cockpit with a single loose line attached to bow and stern. By now the bow has swung out over 45 degrees. I quickly tie the boat at the stern and run like mad along the dock to pull in the bow. which by now can be 90 degrees to the dock. By the time panicked bystanders rush to my aid, everything is tied up. Ho hum
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 23:25   #93

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthaiga View Post
I may have to get one of these for pilings. Since my last post, I purchased and have tested a Johnson Marine Grab N Go hook and it works like a charm for clipping on to a cleat. It also works perfectly when leaving as you can attach a trip line to pull it off the cleat when leaving the slip.
I have something similar. A carabiner with a trip line. I use it a lot when going through locks.

However I've recently had the opportunity to try out this: and it works like a charm. It's on my wish list now...
Hook & Moor
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 03:05   #94

Boat: Island Packet 40

I do the midships line thing but don't cleat it off. I run the line back to a cockpit winch and use the boat hook to drop the looped other end over a dock cleat then haul the slack out of the line. I then adjust the line and engage forward power at an idle and set the rudder to keep the vessel aligned with the wharf. This usually pins the boat in the right place and I can then rig the for, aft and spring lines. Works for me.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 04:22   #95

Boat: Able 50
Re: Single handed docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
This is, of course, a generality..as is prop walk, and is just not applicable to every boat

With regards to a sailboat..the ability of the motor to hold the boat against an aft spring is HIGHLY dependent on the position of the midships cleat with regard to the hull shape, ... a midships cleat that is at the widest part of the hull can quickly pull the bow in and the stern out..

additionally, given the topic is single handed docking i can never advocate someone leaving the boat with the engine in gear.

My boat is bow light, so will be affected by any off-dock wind, has no prop walk whatsoever, nor will it lay nicely against a dock using a spring.. (lucky huh?)..

so for me single handed docking requires stopping on a dime and tying the shortest possible breastline, then grabbing the lengthened bow line and making fast .. every time is an adventure!
Run a line directly off your primary winch and tie a bowline in the end to catch a dock cleat as you go past.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 16:59   #96

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I do the midships line thing but don't cleat it off. I run the line back to a cockpit winch and use the boat hook to drop the looped other end over a dock cleat then haul the slack out of the line. I then adjust the line and engage forward power at an idle and set the rudder to keep the vessel aligned with the wharf. This usually pins the boat in the right place and I can then rig the for, aft and spring lines. Works for me.
Your prop must be in line with your rudder. My outboard is on the starboard side of the transom. Might try the lasso thing and pull myself in.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking, singlehanding