Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 20:03   #1

Boat: 30ft
Send a message via Skype™ to panthablue
Smile Sheet to tiller self steering

Just launched - a new jib sheet to tiller self steering gear with a whole new concept.

Basically the jib sheet winch is mounted on a swinging platform. The tension in the jib sheet pulls it forward, and this is balanced by a spring made from shock cord. Luffs and puffs are transmitted to the tiller via a linkage. It works superbly. More details on

www.steersman.net
panthablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 21:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rob:
Could you post installation & operating instructions?
At US $ 2,220, I expect most of would like a little more information than is provided on your website.
Tho' we don't normally welcome commercial advertising posts, this one was short & to the point. The above-requested instructions would add valuable technical content.
Regards,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 16:55   #3

Steersman installation

Hi GordMay

Thanks for your patience and feedback.

The description needs pictures to make it easier to understand, so I have modified our website to give some more detail.

I hope this helps. If you need more, please let me know.

Thanks again

Rob Chicken

here's the link:

www.steersman.net/prices.htm
Old 09-07-2005, 11:08   #4

Cool Steersman jib sheet to tiller self steering for yachts

Yachting Monthly Magazine, one of the top UK yachting magazines,have recently sail tested the Steersman. Their report article appears in the August edition of the magazine.

They have kindly let us have a copy, so we have put it up on our website. Here it is, just follow the link:

http://www.steersman.net/Press%20cut...ust%202005.pdf

Let me know what you think. E-mail me at:

rob@steersman.net

Thanks

Rob Chicken
Old 09-07-2005, 13:17   #5

Hi Rob -
If you can just be a little patient with me because I am an uneducated newbie sailor that may have missed the point.

Your web site states “Prices exclude all TAXES and delivery”. Its probably me but I didn’t see where you had detailed the deliver arrangements so as to give some indication of what they may be or alternatively details of the size and weight of the product so that we could determine probably delivery costs.

I also noted that one of the necessary elements is a selftaling winch that is for the exclusive use of the steering system. It may be helpful to some people if this was also noted in the pricing system (rather than the how it works section) as they could be mislead by the words “Includes a full kit of parts and instructions”

The problem that I am having is trying to compare an unseen product that you describe as “It works superbly” (the yachting magazine is far more restrained) at an unknown final price with known products that I can purchase at a set price.
Regards
Paul
boredinthecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 19:35   #6

Hi Paul

Thanks for your interest.

I have not included delivery in the price because we can ship worldwide, and it is impracticable to quote shipping prices to every country.

The Steersman uses the existing jib sheet winch. It is re-mounted on to the Steersman's winch platform. If you do not have a self tailing winch you can either by a pair to replace your existing winches, or you can fit a "Wincher" to the existing winch to make it self tailing.

The "Wincher" is very cheap, it can be purchased from most chandlers. It is a ring shaped attachement made of rubber with a groove to fit over the top rim of the winch. They are very good. We use them for our halyards.

I say works excellently, the magazine says OK. I guess I'm prejudice, but I still think it works excellently. Toby sailed with me for one day, I have sailed with this all winter in a variety of wind conditions and I can honestly say and I would be very happy to rely on it on a short or long voyage.

I hope this helps.

Rob Chicken
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20   #7

The Steersman

By the way, if you tell which country you are from, I will let you know the delivery costs

Thanks

rob@steersman.net

Tags
self steering, sheets