Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 02:17   #1

Rigging a whisker pole on a keelboat

I am looking for some advice. Onboard my Vagabond 31 I carry a large genoa which I pole out downwind using the kite pole with the windward sheet running through the pole beak fitting. The pole is independently braced fwd and aft to the toe-rail and has a topping lift clipped to a ring at the midpoint of a wire bridle running from end to end. I also use this pole to goosewing my working jib downwind when there is too much breeze for the genoa. The clew of the working jib never reaches the pole end given the length of the pole in comparison to the foot length of the working jib.

I am considering making up a whisker pole specifically for the working jib ( for a quick gybing rig - useful transiting straits etc.) and this is where my thinking has got to so far. If I attach the pole end directly to the clew then whilst gybing will be easy (the pole will go across behind the forestay) even with a kicker which would lead to the stem, things could get ugly if I broached whilst poled out and the wind got behind the sail. On the other hand if the sheet was to run through the beak fitting it could be released in this situation. In this case gybing the pole would need to be done the long way (end for ending the pole).

Does anyone have experience and ideas? For example, if the whisker pole is to attach to the pole, how? And if so, is it necessary to have the pole braced? Should the pole be braced if the sheet runs through the beak? This I do for the genoa as noted above.

I look forward to any wisdom out there. Thanks to anyone who cares to respond.
Philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, rigging