Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-01-2017, 11:23   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Outstanding Sailors Seamanship and Stunts

Howdy and Ahoy!

I am starting this thread topic to feature numerous stories about some of the most Outstanding Sailors, Seamanship and Stunts involving sailboats, power boats, or human powered boats. While I am starting the discussion (and will act as a curator of sorts) and I will add numerous examples and information as it develops over time, I encourage YOU to participate and contribute too. Please contribute to this thread with what you know and can find or provide (photos, data, links, anecdotes). I also encourage you to subscribe to this thread, because it will take some time to add the many examples of Outstanding Sailors, Seamanship, and Stunts.

NOTE! This topic will include males and females of all ages.
I earlier started another topic that was focused on female sailors only. Here is a link to that thread, which contains many outstanding female sailors:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-176284.html

Focus on People and Boats
The focus is the people who have pushed the boundaries, set the records, taken the risks, and lived to tell about it. But, since we are talking about boaters, it will be important to include something about their boat too. Please provide as much detail as possible about their boat, with a photo too, including such facts as:

WHO they were. (Were they experienced or inexperienced when they started?)
WHEN they did it.
WHERE they did it.
WHAT they used. (what kind of boat)
WHY they tried it. (Were they attempting to set a record?)
WHAT you admire about their example.

This mix of people will include men, women, and teens. Some will be old, some young. Some began their voyages as highly experienced sailors or boaters, while others started with little experience.

Some used amazinging small or tiny vessels. Some used amazingly large vessels. Some were setting speed records, while others simply drifted or rowed.

Some did it alone, solo, single handing across an ocean. Others had a partner, or a team or crew.

Some were "the first" and set a world record. Others made no such record. Some were obviously conceived as publicity stunts.

Stunts are admissible in this thread, as they can prove what can be done, even if it is out of the ordinary in method. A stunt is not necessarily a good example to follow, but it can push the boundaries. And, it often happens that "stunts" set records and become goals for others to break later or the inspiration for many.

Some are well known, some are not well known, some may have slipped into obscurity as time has passed or new records set.

Some have become famous and well respected. Others were ridiculed for their goal, their boat, their lack of experience, or their choices. They were probably all considered "crazy fools" by many sailors for trying what they did or how they did. This topic can include the careful and the careless, along with the wise and the "crazy fools" too.

Some were or later became paragons of skill on boats and examples of great "seamanship," while others may have been simply lucky to survive and had few skills that would be admired. Adding anyone to this discussion does not mean they are all equals or examples to follow.

Something they ALL had in common was their dream and the courage to try, despite the risks.

I hope you will join me in adding something below about your favorites too.

Please provide more than just a name or a simple link. Photos are encouraged. Do some google searching before you post.

Please at least tell us what they did, what kind of boat they used, and why you admire them.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail