Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: At what Age would you as a Parent actively support your Son or Daughter’s Single hand
Age 10… Yes go for the record 2 4.17%
Age 12… Yes go for the record 0 0%
Age 14… Yes go for the record 1 2.08%
Age 16… Yes go for the record 8 16.67%
Age 18 20 41.67%
Age 21 or older when they have finished school and developed social skills 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 19:22   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
New Poll: Your Kid, Age Limit, Solo Attempt

This is to make: A Single handed, non-stop Circumnavigation on a sailboat

I am fine tuning the debate to take away government interference and respect for other parent’s decision so that we can quantify where you would personally draw the line and your support…. if it was your own child.

Please ignore existing records and assume that your kid has been into sailing since they were 5, exhibits sound judgment, strength of character and sailing skills.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 19:26   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I don't see a poll but I wonder if the injuries would be less or more than the high school football, wrestling and lacross injuries my sons got. I said no to all but my vote does not count.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:00   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
"At what Age would you as a Parent actively support your Son or Daughter’s Single hand?"

Singlehanding? I've always taught my kids they'll go blind...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:08   #4
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
I wouldn't. No matter how you slice it, it's a stunt.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:13   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
OK this seems too easy, what's the catch?
Given that the perquisites of sound judgment, strength of character and sailing skills have been met, what would prevent me from supporting my child in his/her ambitions (regardless of type of activity).
I have chosen 16 as any younger means running foul of maritime laws as applicable to my location and as such would invalidate the "sound judgement" already stated as given.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
I wouldn't. No matter how you slice it, it's a stunt.
S&S, I am just checking to see if I understand you correctly, are you saying that ALL "single handed, non-stop, solo circumnavigations" are stunts?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 11-09-2009, 20:35   #7
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
S&S, I am just checking to see if I understand you correctly, are you saying that ALL "single handed, non-stop, solo circumnavigations" are stunts?
Well, if memory serves, the first time it was for 5000 sterling offered by some UK paper. One died ( can't remember his name but the boat was Teignmouth Electron), a couple were damaged, Moitessier went a little off his rocker and kept going to Tahiti, and Knox-Johnson, a merchant seaman, wound up winning in arguably one of the slowest boats to try.

Now it's a race for the first toddler to do it. What do you think?

On the other hand, if the kids (plural) wanted to go around via the capes (NOT non-stop), and they had the necessary age and experience I would think that reasonable ( it's a trip).
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393
I don't think I'd give any encouragement if he/she was on the fence, but if their mind was absolutely made up, I'd support them if they were 18 or older. I guess if you're old enough to volunteer to fight and possibly get blown up in a war, you should be able to volunteer to undertake this as well. I've always held that travel and life experiences are worth more than traditional secondary education (although future employers might not agree). I'd have no problem with my son or daughter doing a little world traveling after high school (18ish years old), so the solo traveling thing wouldn't bother me TOO much, although I'd prefer if a buddy was involved. I guess my biggest concern would be the fact that it would be non-stop, but I can also understand that wanting to do a non-stop circumnavigation is akin to climbing a major peak or diving to extreme depths, etc. Some people live off the challenge. Of course, but the time my kids are 18, I hope we are doing a circumnavigation as a family!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 20:53   #9
CF Adviser

Phew!!! As a non parent these answers are starting to make sense to me now
Old 11-09-2009, 20:59   #10
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
"At what Age would you as a Parent actively support your Son or Daughter’s Single hand?"

Singlehanding? I've always taught my kids they'll go blind...
Yeah! …My Poll Title was automaticaly cropped at a very "self fulfilling" comment on sailing around the world by yourself….. Purely unintended!
Old 11-09-2009, 21:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post

Now it's a race for the first toddler to do it. What do you think?
OK, I didn't read that (or anything about any record breaking) into this poll. Maybe I am taking the poll description to literally.

I concur it is madness (and ill-responsible) to promote "younger" records as it is a self-defeating activity. Taken to its logical conclusion, what follows "first baby solo non-stop circumnavigator" ...Hmm I know, "first conceived solo non stop etc", but hang on, that wouldn't be solo

Anyway, thanks for you explanation of your intent, I would agree with you in those terms. Like I said, I am (or was) looking at this poll without any record breaking intentions as the motive.
Old 11-09-2009, 21:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Phew!!! As a non parent these answers are starting to make sense to me now
Some interesting poll's for a non parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
..... I guess my biggest concern would be the fact that it would be non-stop, but I can also understand that wanting to do a non-stop circumnavigation is akin to climbing a major peak or diving to extreme depths, etc. Some people live off the challenge. Of course, but the time my kids are 18, I hope we are doing a circumnavigation as a family!
It is said (but I can't vouch its veracity) that more people have climbed Mt Everest than single handed around Cape Horn (an non-stop trip by definition includes rounding the Horn).
Old 11-09-2009, 22:00   #13

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Exclamation Obligatory....

With that out of the way...

This is an interesting and thought provoking way in which to approach such a topic...I'm always up for a bit of intellectual masturbation. I'm also quite certain that if I ever procreate, the likelihood that I will raise progeny responsible enough for such an undertaking before I have no further legal obligations to their health and safety is somewhere between 0 and none. At 18...set sail. I couldn't stop him/her. And I'd support them as best as I could.

As a side note...

I wanted a 1000cc Sportbike at age 15...my parents made me wait till I was 18 though...had to get the $6,000 loan for it all on my own, and at 18 years and 6 months old...I had a 1000cc machine that could go 0-60mph in 3.1 seconds and top out at 165mph in about 15 more seconds...at 18 years, 6 months and 2 weeks old, I was hobbling my torn up ass into the ER to have asphalt scrubbed out of my hands, arms, legs and ass, after an unfortunate meeting with the pavement at 80mph. I've put in 40,000 miles on two wheels (and learned a bit about sailing) in the 10 years since then, and my outlook on life has changed many times. I'm no more afraid of dying now than I was then, but the way I approach things has undergone some drastic alterations. The comparison to sailing is vague at best, but there's wisdom nestled in there somewhere.

I don't have any Rug-rats, but if I did, they'd be waiting till the day of their 18th birthday to set sail.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 00:01   #14
CF Adviser

Goats aside, any further comments or votes on the “youngest” age you would give your kid your blessing to try a solo RTW sail ?
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13   #15

Boat: Tasman elite Cat
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Thompson Send a message via AIM to Steve Thompson
As a father of 2 20 something year old boys who have sailed since they were in nappies I would not support any attempt before approx 18 to 20 years old.Younger kid certainly have the sailing skills but it comes down to more than just sailing a boat.No 15/16 year old could have experianced the maintanance and repair problems that need to be addressed.Maybe its a bit selfish but I need them around to produce grand kids
just my opinion

cheers Steve
Steve Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll