Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 11:51   #16

Re: Mexican Hurricanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
cheechako we have already made 3 majors THIS YEAR . please research before making generalizations about the intensity of furycames on this coast. i think storm 2k.com would be a wonderful reference for you on this topic.
just because lolandfall is no tmade always, doesnt mean they are not righteous furycames.
cosme last year was larger than was katrina, as cosme measured some 610 miles across. thank gods it was mostly over ocean, with some 200 miles over land, as we were damaged nicely by it, thankyou, here in barra de navidad, on the open bay side. they lost part of the malecon and popeyes restaurant.
we formed 19 canes/ts skimming mexicoast last year, each one cause of deaths and damages. it is a good thing mexicoast receives only the north east sector of each ts skimming coast. unless it turns and punches, which they have done.
or it turns and makes like jova, indecisive as to where to land and then slamming coast hard.
do not presume our epac basin canes are any lesser than any other ones on the planet. they are huricanes. same measurements as everywhere else.
Yeah... you guys are getting pasted this year... didn't mean to imply they cant be bad. Even a storm can be bad for sure.
Traditionally it seems many of the lesser ones that do happen to head north then east loose their steam especially if they cross Baja. But the history is that the monsters are on the East coast of Mexico. But what the heck... it only takes one while you are there to ruin your day!!

Top 50 hurricanes, none in Western Mexico:
http://www.hurricanecity.com/rank.htm

Even though an average of 18 tropical storms form over the eastern Pacific Ocean each year and around half develop into hurricanes, few of these storms hit land. A few hurricanes hit Mexico's West Coast and every few years a storm will brush Hawaii.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/whpacg.htm

Of big hurricanes 2 of 12 have struck western Mexico in the last 55 years, most the monsters hit Eastern Mexico/Gulf of Mexico: Western hits.
1959 Hurricane unnamed
1997 Hurricane Pauline

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 22:13   #17

Cheechako,

Can you provide any details on the Cabo San Lucas marina boat damage you are referring to. I am aware of only anchored out boats that were beached during the rather famous storm decades ago that I think you are remembering.

Again my interest is specific to boats tied down in marina slips in Cabo San Lucas and/or Puerto los Cabos.

I cannot find any accounts of such boats ever being significantly damaged.

Thanks
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 00:00   #18

Boat: Caliber 40

Why are you so interested in Cabo San Lucas?

A brief glance for IGY Cabo San Lucas website shows it would cost $1,606 PER MONTH with a four month minimum stay for my 40' sailboat.

The website also shows that one can not make a reservation without a four month commitment ($6,424).

As of early winter 2014 the transient rate at Marina Cabo San Lucas was $3.45/foot/day.

IGY Cabo San Lucas » Rates/Prices

The Marina at Puerto Los Cabos advertises a transient slip rate of $3/foot a night.

Cabo San Lucas is a long way from anywhere for a sailboat and if you plan to head there just for the storm - then you would be heading directly toward the storm for several days from any "normal" summertime cruising grounds.

My understanding is that almost all marine insurance policies double the deductible for any named storm. And, any that i had for the three hurricane seasons I spent in the Sea of Cortez specifically excluded any coverage when south of Puerto Escondido/Loreto.

A hurricane in the late ‘90s totally destroyed one marina in La Paz. We anchored in the "Virtual Marina" in La Paz many times from Dec 2001 thru May 2004. It was "virtual" because only a couple of the docks remained after the hurricane. Many of the pilings to support the docks remained but the extreme wave action destroyed most of the main docks and all the finger piers.

Hurricane Marty in Sept. 2003 almost destroyed Marina La Paz and many boats there were heavily damaged. I had a lot of friends anchored or docked in La Paz during Marty. One of them did a lot of research and talked to a lot of the owners of the damaged boats. He eventually wrote an article about the damage - 150 boats suffered more than $10,000 damage.

Please explain why you want to stay in the single location in all of the Baja/Sea of Cortez cruising area that is most exposed to hurricanes?

Marina Mazatlan is the place I would stay if I absolutely had to be in the southern Sea of Cortez area and had to leave my boat in the water.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 03:31   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Cheechako,

Can you provide any details on the Cabo San Lucas marina boat damage you are referring to. I am aware of only anchored out boats that were beached during the rather famous storm decades ago that I think you are remembering.

Again my interest is specific to boats tied down in marina slips in Cabo San Lucas and/or Puerto los Cabos.

Thanks
Taht famous storm, which was most definitely NOT a hurricane, or a tropical storm for that matter, was long before Cabo was ruined by modernization and marina and condo development. So, there was zero damage to marina boats, 'cause there was no marina!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-08-2014, 07:12   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the named storms here normally skim the coast closer than they have been this year. then they go to baja and into sea of cortez or skim outside baja.
as far as i can see-- ye pays yer money , ye takes yer chances.
if you want security, stay home. sorry , is how it is.
you are fully insured, so what is the problem, just buy another boat.
it isnt like it is your home and you are protecting life n limb, as most full time cruisers are accustomed to doing.
rent in cabo is a lot of loot.
i hope you have a pleasant and untroubled stay, but nothing is guaranteed except death and taxes. oh, yes, and summer storms in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 07:19   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Journeyman.
Have you been to Baja Mexico and seen the Marinas, because if you had I think you would be looking less for someone to give you the warm and fuzzey feeling that your boat will be safe in a hurricane in a Baja Marina, because it won't. Oh sure you could get lucky and that is exactly what it would be if a major hurricane hit where your boat was and you got through it with only blown fenders. By the time you track Hurricane storm and weather info for La Paz Cabo San Lucas Baja California Mexico Storm, and Hurricane tracking and see that the storm is coming, it will be too late for you to jump on a plane and fly down there, so you will arrive a week or so later after the damage is done.

It's called the hurricane zone for a reason and the cost of insurance isn't higher there or dedictables doubled or trippled, or terms of no pay-out at all for named storms because it's safe. Insurance companies use statistics to base rates and premeiums and assess risks, not ancedotal stories of "I rode out fuzzycane Scew Me in 1932...bla bla bla.

Just because you can't find stories of boats being damaged at the dock during a hurricane doesn't mean squat. I know the boats that were damaged in Santa Rosilia during Jimena personally yet, I can't find anything about it on the net either....so does that mean it didn't happen....no it just means the town was destoryed and a few gringo yatchs damaged in the harbor didn't merrit a mention in the story.

Would I leave my boat in a Baja Marina during hurricane season without me being there....yes I would but because after living down there I understand the risk. But I would only leave my boat in a few marina's that I have seen, walked the docks on, have a feeling about the staff, and then I would hire a Yacht Management Company like La Paz Cruiser Supply to keep an eye on it for me. Then if something horrible happened, well I took my chances with eyes wide open and lost.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 09:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
Cheechako,

Thanks
No Marina boat damage that I know of. I was referring to the same one you are... on the beach... The Cabo's seem a bit exposed to me though. If I were leaving a boat I'd be thinking LaPaz.... The Cabo's are directly adjacent to deep water, laPaz is protected by miles(?) of water only a few feet deep.

Old 21-08-2014, 09:25   #23

ok here is why i choose to place the life of my boat in the waters of mainland mexico.
1. weather in baja and north of mazatlan is extreme, just like phoenix, az.
2. winds from hell in soc .
3. when named storms go there(into sea of cortez), they are already intense.
4 waaay too many gringos, not enough mexicans. baja is south california.
5. i do no tget the gut feeling i willbe safe in sea of cortez in summer.
i do get that feeling of being safe here in barra, when it comes to named storms and summer weather madness.
mainland southwest coast of mexico, tropics, is a place that experiences fewer nasty storms in summer. all of our weather is named.
mazatlan is known for extreme storms in summer-- as is north of there. i am not a fan of mucho lightning.
there is only one problem with the place i chose to remain for summer, and that is fail wifi. the hotel associated with this marina is only capable of delivering 48 percent signals to the boats. DO bring your own wifi system if you plan on staying here.
btw--the signals are better when one is at anchor than when one is in marina.. go figger.
Old 21-08-2014, 09:29   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No Marina boat damage that I know of. I was referring to the same one you are... on the beach... The Cabo's seem a bit exposed to me though. If I were leaving a boat I'd be thinking LaPaz.... The Cabo's are directly adjacent to deep water, laPaz is protected by miles(?) of water only a few feet deep.
The Cabo Marina as it is today wan't there in that famous Boats Lost on the beach incident, so we have no disaster photos or stories.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 09:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The Cabo Marina as it is today wan't there in that famous Boats Lost on the beach incident, so we have no disaster photos or stories.
Exactly, I was there the following year. Still hulls on the beach, no marina, no big pink monster hotel. In fact, there was a big field where the big hotels are now, you took your trash into the field and piled it on with the other trash, then they burned it once a week. Taco stand in the field too, about 50 cents a taco. Had to get fuel stern to at the ferry dock.. not fun bouncing and fueling. The Port Captain was a young good looking guy with a sense of humor; he asked us " No armies? (guns) No dancing girls? All clean?"
Those were the days my friend....

Side note: It just struck me thinking back on this... that our buddy boat (Westsail 32 Saraband) will still be sailing the seas when I'm dead and gone. You can say what you want about other boats but...Hard to beat a boat like that eh?

Old 21-08-2014, 09:50   #26

OMYDOGSPINK monster hotels.. dont stay near one.. GAG.. this is a pink monster hotel sin wifi .. lol...
hint-- the white painted hotels have better wifi... rodl
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18   #27

as for mexico and furycames... those of you all in cabo an dla paz are havin norbert. enjoy. but, remember, mexico doesnt have furycames
rodlmffao.
have fun.
it is wet and windy in cabo san lucas and will be on both gulf side as well as pacific side.
enjoy.
pacific has a hella year this year. wet n wild.
much activity and setting new records
Old 14-09-2014, 16:10   #28

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I hope all Cruisers any where in the vicinity of the Baja Peninsula are prepared for the arrival of Hurricane Odile within the coming hours. ..

Stay Safe

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 16:29   #29

"Re: Mexican Hurricanes
I hope all Cruisers any where in the vicinity of the Baja Peninsula are prepared for the arrival of Hurricane Odile within the coming hours. ..

Stay Safe"

those of us who are still under the tail of odile thankyou so much for your concern.
this has been quite an active close to record breakin gyear fro us here on mexicos southwest coast. not as many as last year, at present, however, that WILL change, as this season gets underway.
our season here in th e east pacific basin goes until end november. this year may just see the entire season used, as el nino has shown us some stronger storms this year.
the rest should be very interesting for both those in gulf of california and those of us here on mexicos western mainland coast.
already 7 majors.. what a year!
Old 15-09-2014, 07:46   #30

our non events of the current times.... lol something about education and awareness.....
i MEAN, EVERYONE knows there are NO furycames in or around mexican waters, ever... rodlmffao.. only a fecord setting year, here with 7 MAJORS in one season.....

dontcha know they HAD to come from somewhere to get to cabo san lucas in a cat 3 state....

Tags
hurricane