Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 09:37   #1

Boat: Omega 36
Looking for Wheel (helm) Autopilot

I use ST 4000 for more than 10 years and can give it three minus stars.

1. When the sea is 5' or more on broad (beam) reach it loses control in 10-20 minutes, especially after a boat was surfing for several seconds. On close-hauled it is better, but it tries to steer when it is not needed.

2. The controller moves the motor, for example, in the same direction by 5 pulses 0.5 sec each instead of continues a 2-3 sec drive.

3. Very important. The controller starts the motor with full power and keeps full power, which makes quite a ruff helm control and waste battery.

4. (!) There is not in setting a ratio (helm angle)/(rudder angle), which would make much better steering.

I know this autopilot very well and tune it according to the weather, and generally speaking it works. Even overnight I can sleep for 20 minutes behind the helm.
But I really need a new one, and if anybody could recommend helm pilot considering all the above (especially 3 and 4), I would be really happy. Thanks
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:09   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Looking for Wheel (helm) Autopilot

The new RM Evo is much improved as far as the steering part of the AP business. Still have the limitations of the wheel drive unit. My experience is that things improve significantly with a rudder position transducer. On both the X-5 and the Evo there are only two motor speeds, fast and half fast. I use mine with a 30 YO Benmar chain and sprocket drive unit. Very efficient and quiet set up.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 10:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Looking for Wheel (helm) Autopilot

I agree with Franky, the new EV is streets ahead.

There is a collection of reports about the Evo in this review:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ew-136885.html
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, helm, wheel