Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 22:29   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
liferafts

took the laft raft in from the boat that I bought. Didn't think it was in good shape but thought I might be able to have it fixed. It took alot of force just to inflate it. The rope had to be wrapped around a stick and the rope cut into the stick before the liferaft actually inflated. Then there was a problem with one of the rings in the life raft. Anyway as it turns out the liferaft is not worth getting fixed. the dealer offered me a new one for $3690 a nice Zodiac 6 man raft with nice features. is that a reasonable price?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 01:58   #2

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Thats the price of a four man Zodiac in NZ so with the exchange it must be close.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 04:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Zodiac 6 Man Class Ocean Liferaft is $4275.00 USD at Defender.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|135|320549|81609|322483&id=180000

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 07:28   #4

Thanks Seafox and Gordmay:

When I went to the defender site and put the raft in the shopping cart the actual price was $3425. Now I need to decide whether to go with a local vender. I'm leaning toward going with the local vendor.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 24-01-2007, 08:33   #5

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I personally would look at a different brand. Zodiac does not have the best reputation as far as life rafts go. Winslow, Switlik, Givens are clearly high quality rafts....
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 09:58   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have an RFD. Never opened it to see what it is like. But I have had a very good look over the switlik. I really liked it. But then, I have seen no other to compare it too. But I especially like the concept of the water ballast to help keep the raft upright. I can only presume the concept works in reality.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 10:08   #7

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Concur with Jon. Zodiac has a history of raft failures that have cost lives and do not deserve a seaman's business.

Jack
Old 24-01-2007, 11:57   #8

Boat: Lotus 10.6
If you do a search on google (I think it is in this forum too) there is a story about a new Hanse that was racing off Ireland. It lost it's rudder and sunk. They deployed a fairly new Zodiac and it failed to inflate.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 13:09   #9

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
I have an RFD. Never opened it to see what it is like. But I have had a very good look over the switlik. I really liked it. But then, I have seen no other to compare it too. But I especially like the concept of the water ballast to help keep the raft upright. I can only presume the concept works in reality.
For what it is worth, all inflatable liferafts have water ballast... it is a strict requirement of the regulations governing the design and manufacture of all such appliances. There are rules stipulating the number of gallons of water ballast per person and guidelines as to where it should be located.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 13:18   #10
Eternal Member

I researched all available liferafts a few years ago and decided that the Winslow brand was tops. It's been top-rated by lots of folks. I found an almost new one on eBay, had it inspected and packed for 3-years by Winslow. Their service was GREAT.

There was an 8-person raft, almost new, on eBay a couple of weeks ago which didn't sell, as the bidding only got to $2,000. You might contact the owner: eBay Motors: Winslow Mac 8 Person Liferaft (item 280066160272 end time Jan-11-07 12:30:00 PST)

Another 6-person raft went for about 2,000 in great condition.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 14:24   #11

Boat: Fantasia 35
Winslow sometimes sell used liferafts - give them a call. If you want a new raft try negotiating a deal at a boat show.

paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 15:28   #12

thanks very much for the info. It is curious about zodiac. the one that I looked at had a lot of features that I liked. I will follow up on the ebay item Bill. Don't know about wanting a new or used just want one that works.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 24-01-2007, 16:28   #13

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Charlie,

You had a used liferaft and look where that got you. Buy the new one from the local dealer. It may be a few bucks more, but you have satisfaction in the knowledge that if everything is not right, you know where he is. Defender is a PIA when it comes to warranty work. It is always the manufacturer's responsibility to correct any ills.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 17:01   #14

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Liferafts

Whatever liferaft you buy or carry, I have a suggestion for y'all. I have an Avon I carry that I have had repacked several times. Only the last time, the packer suggested that I come and watch the thing inflate and see what I had. So I did it. I STRONGLY suggest that you go and at least look at your liferaft at the packer (if they will not let you do this, get another packer). To certify them, they have to leave them inflated for a few days. I can see now that--if I had had to use it-- I would have had a very difficult time understanding what things are in it, what they look like (you would not recognize the inflation pump from the bailing pump), and how to use them. It was a humbling experience after carrying the thing around for 10 years to realize I was so ill-equipped to use it. I am not a fan of Zodiac anything, but Winslow once had a terrible reputation which I am confident is past. I saw a zodiac used at a US Sailing Safety and Sea seminar and it did not appear to me to be any more poorly constructed than the rest of them. FWIW
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 01:22   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
U.S. Coast Guard “Boating Safety” Recalls:
Office of Boating Safety Alerts
Including:
VIKING “RescYou” liferafts: Office of Boating Safety Alerts
SWITLIK “Valves”: Office of Boating Safety Alerts
and more ...