Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 18:15   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: How to make money while sailing?

We were lucky. Connies a RN and has found work all over the place over the years! Im a Machinist, welder, diesel Mechanic, and I always found something to do ! So up till I retire totaly, we can always find something to pay our way ! We also have been stupid lucky with some land we bought in Alaska, so we can cruise pretty easy as far as money go's. but then we spend a lot of time on the hook and live pretty cheap !! don't have to but it's we like !!
Old 24-08-2013, 19:11   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I have had a few friends that worked as they went along, mostly from the boat on a CPU. They told me that they stayed pretty tight lipped as to the business they were in to dissuade a rush of entrepreneurs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:11   #18

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A juggler back in the 80s/90's by the name of Ray Jason did that and was able to stay out there for some time. I believe his boat was named "Aventura". He wrote a book which was quite entertaining.
Ray also wrote for several sailing magazines, he was also an extra in the movies "Pirates of the Caribbean" for the filming done at St Vincent in the 2000's.
He juggled bowling balls when he performed at Pier 39 in SF.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:16   #19

Ok...I have to know...Which Pirate was he? He did a lot of articles in Latitude 38 I think.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-08-2013, 20:12   #20

Quote:
Ok...I have to know...Which Pirate was he? He did a lot of articles in Latitude 38 I think.
I've never watched any of the movies, but when he was on my boat in Bequia he had a big bushy brown beard, and he is short and stocky. His shoulders and arms were quite muscular from juggling bowing balls for years.
Old 25-08-2013, 01:16   #21

Boat: Seahorse 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
load your boat with russian hookers,sail to the gulf and follow the american navy...........get sponsership from durex.....................
Absolutely brilliant suggestion mate!
JohnInBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 01:42   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
The state of travel today makes it possible for me to come back to the office when and if I want to.
That's my plan anyway.
This is also my plan , albeit not boat travel specific .........harder than it looks , am having to re-invent myself - no bad thing in itself .

The approach I am taking is that £10 here is SFA , but £10 in SEA is a lot more in real terms (more so away from the Tourist Places)......last week I was chatting through a business plan with someone and her jaw dropped when I explained that if the Bizness could make me £100k a year I would be genuinely happy to take £10k (to do very little - senior management ) and pay someone else £90k so I could not be there , albeit in reality as long as the bizness makes me £10k I don't care it doesn't make someone else £90k!.........the difference is how one values "wealth" - me has never done it solely in money. But clearly that is a YMMV thing!

Time will tell how all that works out.........especially as want a 3 legged stool approach to income so not dependent on one source.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 02:03   #23

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
This is also my plan , albeit not boat travel specific .........harder than it looks , am having to re-invent myself - no bad thing in itself .

The approach I am taking is that £10 here is SFA , but £10 in SEA is a lot more in real terms (more so away from the Tourist Places)......last week I was chatting through a business plan with someone and her jaw dropped when I explained that if the Bizness could make me £100k a year I would be genuinely happy to take £10k (to do very little - senior management ) and pay someone else £90k so I could not be there , albeit in reality as long as the bizness makes me £10k I don't care it doesn't make someone else £90k!.........the difference is how one values "wealth" - me has never done it solely in money. But clearly that is a YMMV thing!

Time will tell how all that works out.........especially as want a 3 legged stool approach to income so not dependent on one source.
Yes, exactly right. I need less and less as time goes on and recognize that my happiness is not monetarily driven. I'll let the young whippersnappers make it all as long as they continue to support me in my dotage.

I guess you're trying to say, don't put my eggs in one bucket? Here we are, back to bucket discussions again.
Old 25-08-2013, 03:32   #24

Boat: none(fornow)

It's highly illegal but you could certainly make enough to support a cruising lifestyle, human smuggling. I remember reading that going ticket across the border in an over packed over weight van was $500 per head. How many can you fit aboard your sailing boat?
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 05:23   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
I guess you're trying to say, don't put my eggs in one bucket? Here we are, back to bucket discussions again.
Buckets rool .

TBH, I was just saying what I am trying to do for me, not as a suggestion for others. Every approach has plusses and minuses and very much dependent on each (needs, abilities and desires)....I could very well end up with a "single bucket solution" ..........or no bucket at all .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
It's highly illegal but you could certainly make enough to support a cruising lifestyle, human smuggling. I remember reading that going ticket across the border in an over packed over weight van was $500 per head. How many can you fit aboard your sailing boat?
Beware! I was approached twice by men seeking passage to other countries in the Caribbean. Both times they offered to pay $500US. Both times they had footwear popular amongst law enforcement people.

BTW, on the subject of work. I quit the workforce at 60 and went cruising to forget the frustrations of work.
Old 25-08-2013, 07:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradweston View Post
Thanks, Celestialsailor. I looked it up, "Tales of a Sea Gypsy". I just added it to my read list on amazon. I assumed there were other variety artists out there sailing, but I just hadn't heard of any.
If you don't mind staying around the touristy islands you could probably do ok making crafts or playing music etc... Came across a sailor in the U.S. virgins who has an act that works for him and entertains the resort crowds:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: CAPT. MIKE IN THE LEEWARD ISLANDS PART TWO: ST. JOHNS...
Old 25-08-2013, 08:03   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The approach I am taking is that £10 here is SFA , but £10 in SEA is a lot more in real terms (more so away from the Tourist Places)
I'll be glad when the currency here to the baht improves. Last time I was in the Land of Smiles, the rate was 31 baht to the dollar. I was in Hua Hin and they had raised their prices about 30% from 3 years prior and at that time the baht was around 40. So it put a cramp on some of my activities there.
In regards to your idea of needing only 10% of your business. I use to import from SEA and Indonesia. The brokers I used got 10% to set up shipping and customs. They were ex-pats from here. PM me if you need any info on that.
Old 26-08-2013, 17:26   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Ray also wrote for several sailing magazines, he was also an extra in the movies "Pirates of the Caribbean" for the filming done at St Vincent in the 2000's.
He juggled bowling balls when he performed at Pier 39 in SF.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I've never watched any of the movies, but when he was on my boat in Bequia he had a big bushy brown beard, and he is short and stocky. His shoulders and arms were quite muscular from juggling bowing balls for years.
Just received this from ray when I asked him if he had been in the Pirates of the Caribbean...
" Thanks for your interest. In the film business there is something called a "stand-in actor." While the stars are in their air-conditioned trailers, the stand-ins wearing similar costumes stand out in the sun while the director gets the sound and cameras etc ready for the filming. They do a few dry runs and then bring out the stars. So I never show up ON the screen. Nor have I ever claimed that I did. Extras make like $50 a day and stand-ins get over $200. It was a big help with the cruising kitty and it was fun. The two roles I "stood in for" were the harbormaster who tries to get a "port fee" from Johnny Depp when we first meet him with his boat sinking behind him. The other character was the thinner of the two "clownish" guards who were supposedly guarding the ship. Thanks for asking.

Best wishes,

Capt. Ray Jason USCG 100 ton Master
Old 26-08-2013, 17:37   #30

Boat: Beneteau 323
My wife just picked up a job for the boat shows in Annapolis. They prefer cruisers. Good way to be part of something special and keep the cruising kitty padded.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money, sail, sailing