Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2014, 08:13   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
How common do you think rogue waves are?

I started this thread in response to a post in another thread about off shore boats breaking up and the crews being lost. Some folks mentioned rogue waves may have contributed to these disasters.

First of all we may need to try and define what a rogue wave is. One suggestion was 80% greater than the predicted wave height, but I can't recall ever seeing a definition of a rogue wave. If the truth be known I can't recall ever seeing a rogue wave when I was in a boat. There are places on land where it is claimed rogue waves occur.

What I am most interested in is folks who have experienced a rogue wave, or what they define as a rogue wave at sea. How common are they. How destructive are they. Is there anything that would lessen the damage of a rogue wave.

I would like this thread to be open ended; as long as there are no anchor arguments.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:43   #2
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: How common do you think rogue waves are?

Why don't you first decide a definition of how one is made? By that alone, I think you have seen many but never recognized it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:51   #3

You know, I'm a motorboater and we were in Lake Pontchartrain (New Orleans) once with 4 of us in the boat and literally out of no where, this wave came and went right over the bow and all 4 of us were then soaking wet and it took a few minutes for the boat to drain it all out. No other boats around us; not a wake from another boat...

Once we realized it was only one wave, we all laughed it off as "wow, wasn't that strange?" And "how refreshing" etc. We continued boating and there were no other incidents.

Not an ocean size rogue wave, but we called it a "rogue wave". I have no idea what it was in terms of defining it.

You tube has some videos if I remember right of ships in "rogue waves"...
Old 27-05-2014, 08:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I would like this thread to be open ended; as long as there are no anchor arguments

Why don't you first decide a definition of how one is made? By that alone, I think you have seen many but never recognized it.
Well.. its a piece of metal with hooks in it... and bits of rope and chain and stuff....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:53   #5

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

A rouge wave can be created by the wash of a ship combined with wind generated waves.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 08:56   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We experienced a wave that was much larger than the others - 15' short and breaking (over us) in nominally 6-8' long smooth seas. While a one-time, odd wave, I still think it fits in the category of normal for those conditions even though it was 100% higher than the rest.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 09:23   #7

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Spent many years commercial fishing and towing log booms and barges from the Queen Charlottes down to the lower mainland back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. One winter there was an unseasonable low developed off the the northern BC coast. There are a set of islands on the west coast of the Charlottes' dotted with protected inlets that were frequented by fisherman and the locals to hide from weather. The outer land mass is about 30 feet high and 30-50 feet across and provides good protection from the north Pacific swells and storm surge. We snuck in to hide out in one of these sancuaries one afternoon and found a half sunk 30 foot gillnetter with a log about 60 feet long and 2-3 feet across the butt laying athwartships through the wheel house. It had evidently been thrown OVER the protective western boundary of the cove and landed right on top of the fishboat! Now that was a rogue wave that we never saw but witnessed the aftermath! No one was hurt that we could find but it destroyed a family's livelihood in a second! So, I guess they are out there... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 09:28   #8
cruiser

Rogue wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 27-05-2014, 09:31   #9
cruiser

meow

Fastnet Lighthouse Struck by 48 m (157 ft) wave in 1985
Old 27-05-2014, 09:46   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Draupner wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 10:10   #11

Common and rogue???
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 10:36   #12

I think the bouy off the north end of Vancouver Island records one or more waves in excess of the devices measuring capability ....something like 100 feet.... each winter.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2014, 10:51   #13

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Rogue waves are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (Hs or SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record.

..well done Salty, now that we have a definition we can progress.. however, note that the article appears to cite many as occurring in areas of rapid shoaling from ocean depths, which makes sense!
Old 27-05-2014, 10:54   #14

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
meow

Fastnet Lighthouse Struck by 48 m (157 ft) wave in 1985
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 – North Atlantic, September 1995, 29 metres (95 ft), during Hurricane Luis: The Master said it "came out of the darkness" and "looked like the White Cliffs of Dover." Newspaper reports at the time described the cruise liner as attempting to "surf" the near-vertical wave in order not to be sunk.

Were people high-fiving the Captain before or after they spilled their champagne while their monocles popped out !?
Old 27-05-2014, 12:19   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cool, let's debate and conjecture what's already been scientifically defined and measured. Hmmm....

Although some years ago, after using orbiting radar to measure the ocean surface and wave heights, as I recall NASA figured out that ooops, rogue waves were about 100x more common than previously thought.

And the one that smashed bridge windows on one of the Queens (Queen Mary II?) wasn't extraordinary.

Its a shame there's no way to access such great bodies of information, like, using a computer.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rogue wave