Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 07:17   #1

Boat: Manta 40
Hillsboro or Boca Raton Inlets

Coast Pilot paints a very bleak picture of these inlets with regard to getting a sailboat in.

Has anyone here entered thru either of these inlets?

Any suggestions?

Thank You
Sunsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Hillsboro or Boca Raton Inlets

Depends on you and your boat. Many 5-6' draft use Hillsboro. I just went in and out of Boca with 3' this week. Lots of surf breaks across the jetty in some conditions.
Old 27-01-2017, 11:08   #3

Gets a little ugly with tide going out and strong wind coming in. Slack high tide either inlet should be fine.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 11:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

When I first got my current boat I sailed out of Boca. There used to be a bar that sometimes formed perpendicular to the channel. After sliding across it (healed over) I moved to a dock further south and sailed out of Hillsboro.

Not that Hillsboro was safe, just no bar. A few years ago a dive boat capsized with the loss of life in Hillsboro.

General directions for Hillsboro winds NW to SSW, you are in the lee and it is a no brainer. Winds S to E read the wave pattern and enter it. Be ready to use engine to control the boat if swells are large. But unless it is outgoing tide and blowing 20+ usually easy stuff. If winds are ENE to N, especially in a wind vs tide situation, you can expect 10+ footers. Watch for a pattern, I moved to St Pete 2 years ago so I forgot what the pattern is- but there was one.

99% of the powerboaters that come out of that inlet when it is rough are highly competent. They will hold inside the inlet to let sailboats use the whole channel when they come in.

Once inside, the queue for the bridge can be a challenge.

FYI this inlet is why I frequently changed my Racor in my 33' boat. If you loose power in the inlet things can go ugly fast.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 12:55   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetter View Post
Coast Pilot paints a very bleak picture of these inlets with regard to getting a sailboat in.

Has anyone here entered thru either of these inlets?

Any suggestions?

Thank You
What kind of boat are we talking about? What is your draft? Do you have a good reliable engine?

I used to bring my old 30ft Hunter in and out of Hillsboro all the time without any issues, though as others have pointed out it can get tricky depending on tide wind direction. I would not use Boca for a sailboat - just my personal opinion.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 13:50   #6

Boat: Boatless

We avoid small, local knowledge entries where possible and never enter them at night...Much easier to sail 20-30 miles extra or heave-to and wait for dawn than to run aground in a dangerous location.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:25   #7

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Use Hillsborough if possible. Have been in and out about 25 times, sailors do not as a rule use Boca Inlet, too narrow and it shoals up frequently.
Any questions find the website for the Hillsborough Inlet Sailing Club, (HISC) and talk with them, I am a former member there.
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:47   #8

Boat: Boatless

Hillsborough ��

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:56   #9

I live close to Hillsboro Inlet, come in at the HI buoy and come right down the middle and you won't have a problem unless the waves are big enough to knock make you broach. Its usually at least 10 feet in the middle. If it looks dangerous go south to Port Everglades.
they are dredging Hillsboro now as it did shoal over recently. 99 percent of the time its easy to enter at Hillsboro. You might check the website for HISC.org as they usually keep there members up to date on any problems.
paullmaloney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:10   #10

Boat: KP 46

I live about a quarter mile from Hilsboro inlet, I draw 7 feet and have not had any problem with this inlet, it is well marked and a pretty easy inlet day or night. If a S or E wind is blowing strong you want to favor the south side but just make sure you have the chart well in your mind. Plenty of green marks and not easy to confuse them, just pick up the sea bouy and head for the first green (which is lit) watching the current which will try and take you a bit north most of the time.

If there is a big sea going it can build up a bit of a swell, but there is plenty of room once inside to round up and douse sail so it is best to carry plenty of sail and/or power to maintain good steerage in the swells. there is just a slight turn north at the breakwater and calm water inside with plenty of depth. There is usually a dredge laying inside on the north side by tthe beach but it is no problem and a lot of room south of it.

Hope this helps,

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 06:11   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Hillsborough ��
He must have confused the inlet, Hillsboro, with the county where Tampa is located, Hillsborough.
Old 30-01-2017, 07:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
He must have confused the inlet, Hillsboro, with the county where Tampa is located, Hillsborough.

Perhaps we had to much whine on Bacchus?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 08:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I like Boca as bridge is on demand and nice anchorage right inside. A perfect stop between Ft Pierce or Stuart and Miami or Key Largo. Would say 4.5' is max draft in calm weather high tide, but might be deeper.
Old 30-01-2017, 20:55   #14

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Perhaps we had to much whine on Bacchus?
Now that is a possibility!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46   #15

I used to sail in and out of Hillsboro all the time. There's a shallow reef on the south side of the inlet so pay attention to the charts. The reef is awash at low tide but just barely covered at high. I've seen some really nice boats ripped apart on that reef. Current is tough through the bridge at tide changes and the charter boat captains aren't always nice to us sail baggers.
Seajourner is offline   Reply With Quote